Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @QuickHitRecord I hope IS will work well, and then it will be an excellent lens. If i ever need a lot wider, i'll just shoot anamorphic with it.

• So has it been confirmed that IS will work if it is in lens i.e most Panasonic Lumix Zoom lenses?

• Will classic 4/3 lenses work with BMPCC via electronic adapter?

• There is no verification but I believe that all of the Lumix lenses will work on the BMPCC. Otherwise, it would not be an active MFT, which BlackMagic is saying that it is.

• @Sangye Listen...I know you are not trying to be a dick heck you and I have talked in the past on here... but I do have my BA in Cinematography/Film. I am no spring chicken. I also know that 800 is cheap for a lens BUT NOT WHEN then camera cost almost as much that is what I meant.

MY ACTUAL point was that M43rds glass below 10mm that ISNT going to FISHEYE doesnt exist I KNOW THERE is C mount I KNOW THERE is Super16 I am not flipping retarded. The reality is that for people that shoot ACTUAL MOVIES and not BUSHES like me there are too many issues with the pocket and we should just save our pennies and get the 2.5 or 4k models.

• @zigizigi According to John Brawley, they are not working yet, but are supposed to on the final model.

source: http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/the-pocket-rocket-blackmagic-downsizes-the-bmcc-and-does-a-4k-upsize-of-the-orginal/

• The way to think it, as a tool similar to the bigger cameras, just won't take us anywhere. Te main point is, how it differs, and that is: to carry the wide dynamic range in your pocket. This camera gives us the possibility to go filming, without any preparation to do it. Just take your camera, when you see something interesting going on. Just like the aesthetics of the early street photography, the decisive moment of Cartier-Bresson, but in the field of cinematography. One could notice, that you could also do it with GH2, but with it, the reality just looks out a bit washed out. One might say, that unintentional cinematography is not that interesting, but then again, reconstruction in documentary, does not always work, either. Pocket cinema brings cinematography nearer to our embodied way of seeing reality in a sense, that one could walk with it, the whole day, without becoming tired. It makes filmmaking playful.

• @Yaakobber very well said, that's kind of how I see it too :)

• @Yaakobber, YES!!!! It seems that some people simply don't get what this is supposed to be about. It's about as free and spontaneous as you're likely to get with a legit level of cinematography. It will take some of the "production" aspect of capturing a moment out of the equation. I've been on trips MANY times and had my gear in a bag in the back of the car and saw something that just caught my eye but realized that it would take too long and too much to get the gear out and ready to shoot. With the BMPC I can have it at the ready just about anytime and anywhere and be more likely to whip it out and get the shot. It's a higher level of what people do with an iPhone.

In addition I can see it being easier to rig for on car shots and in strange places that won't fit a larger camera. Rigged up it can still be a proper camera setup just like any DSLR. It's a very flexible little tool.

• Exactly! Thats why Image Stabilization is also important. Not like some ppl say it's unprofessional. It's small camera, it have to have IS operative.

• @odessa Why does it have to have IS? All of the lenses I use with my GH2 are manual. One just needs to know how to control the tool they are using. Yes it would be nice as an option but it shouldn't be the end all be all. I'm really confused at all the fuss on this thread about this camera. It's amazing what BM is producing for $999 if it all works like it's supposed to and people are still whining about how they want this and they want that. I really just don't understand.

• @vicharris IS is getting a lot better, so for run-and-gun it would be nice to have some kind of stabilization, when you don't have the possibility of using a camera stabilizer.

• I understand why people want IS :) I just don't understand why people still say they want more for $999? I would never have thought 6 months ago we would have this offered to use and here it is. It's not overpriced, it's small and it will hopefully shoot amazing images. Seems like a steal for the price...that is unless they drop the BMCC camera price down some! :)

• For street shooting, I strongly recommend a variable ND fader and a sun-shade to watch the EVF. I'm really looking forward to trying my Pocket when it arrives.

• Hai if we is it possible to use all gh2 lens with bmpcc we can use 12-35mm f2.8 x lens from panasonic Lumix. 36-105mm f2.8 is a good pair for bmpcc.

• I currently have the 14-140 lumix zoom, the 20mm 1.7mm pancake, the 25mm 0.95 Voigtländer, the SLR Magic 12mm 1.6 and a boat load of vintage Minolta MD glass.

If I get the Pocket Camera what other lenses should I get?

I'm looking at the angenieux 5.9 1.8 right now.

• @vicharris johnbrawley says: "The only downside for me was the rolling shutter felt a little bit more pronounced when hand holding. IS should help a lot though with this." And I agree, with this size and weight it will be good to have IS active.

• It seems many are thinking of this as a production camera. I like thinking of it in the way it's being discussed by some... Discrete and fun.

Yes you can pimp it up I suppose. But I think it's too tiny to be a primary camera unless you have good storytelling reasons.

and yeah IS is great to have as an option. The teeny weight and form factor make it difficult to hand hold smoothly.

JB.

• It seems many are thinking of this as a production camera. I like thinking of it in the way it's being discussed by some... Discrete and fun.

Oh definitely. But as long as companies like canon are refusing to sell anything besides 8-bit compressed cameras for under $15k... people are going to try. Not many other affordable options with great codec options like Black Magic.

• A used Gf3 is $110, and it enables in-lens image stabilization. Why not from $999 BMPCC?

• There's in lens stabilization for bmpcc. Read John Brawley's blog.

• A used Gf3 is $110, and it enables in-lens image stabilization. Why not from $999 BMPCC?

Probably just more a more complicated task then they have time for. Blackmagic seems to be simply about bringing RAW video to the prosumers as cheap and fast as possible right now...

• @stonebat

IS works on the pocket cinema camera.

JB.

• @johnbrawley Thanks for the clarification.