Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • Time to change from hacked (MOON) GH2 to GH3, any suggestions? any future hack plans?

That is the ranking of the sever testers form the German “Stiftung Warentest“. As you see the Panasonic Gh3 ranked as current best DSLR+Mirrorless System Camera. Also the compact cameras from Panasonic and Olympus are on top of the list. Quite an astonishing result! That said there is no such thing as a perfect ranking and testing. It all depends from what you need :)

http://www.43rumors.com/the-camera-quality-ranking-from-stuftung-warentest-germany-in-stock-at-amazon-on-sunday/

Bildschirmfoto2013-03-26um155631_zpsb3cb8061.png
    1024 x 348 - 306K
  • DOR....it is a really cool camera.....

• I was really on the fence between GH3 and D5200. Being a long-time Nikon owner I was pretty excited about the performance I have been seeing from the D5200 but I needed to make a choice and just go with it. I took a chance and just ordered my GH3 this morning from Texas Media Systems. I should have it by end of week and look forward to field-testing.

• Hey stanlymanly2 , Sure thing!. Yeah it's weird, I really wanna use a 95 mbs card before I draw any conclusions here, it just makes sense that a camera with such high bit rates needs the headroom of 95 mbs cards. Also I have to say, I think playback is also highly questionable, watching other you tube clips these days I am on the look out for these kinds of jumps in camera movement, not just in GH3 videos, on any video, and I see them all over the place.. last night I was at a screening of oscar nominated short films, really well produced stuff, like super high end short films, and they had jumps... not because of the production, because of the playback, projection what ever, I think some things struggle to make that smooth playback....

So yeah no firm decision my side, doing more tests today, and even though I can post the clips, still they are on you tube and filmed using a 45MBs card... so likely inconclusive.....as either of these factors could contribute...

• @feha, @aljimenez, @Pulse Thanks guys! For the panning and such, i haven't experienced choppyness at all. Im sure I just haven't done anything to encounter it yet but I may experience this soon as I've seen a few posts with the same issue. A lot of the the shots were in 60p and when in 24p i was using a monopod or tripod. I am going to shoot a music video this saturday and if I come across this problem I'll let you know what may be causing it.

Otherwise it is all about settings, 24p i shoot in 1/50th shutter and 60p I go up to 1/125 or 1/160th. When I watched Philip Bloom's GH3 video, I observed the panning shot with the corvette speeding down the highway. I think he shot at a higher frame rate then conformed it to 24p. The cards I use are the 95mb/s Sandisk cards. Maybe a higher quality card would help you@Pulse. Thanks again guys!

• Sorry, thank you for the link!

• @emonty

Always use search. Plus this topic is not for this, it is mostly for Issues topic.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5969/gh3-lcd-hinge-cover-fix#Item_3

• My screen is getting looser by the day. Now I don't want to send it back and be without. Can anybody guide me to what screws I need to fasten and how to get there, much appreciated!!!

• @Conundrum Yeah its weird, I directed a shoot with 5d MKIIs and IIIs as well as sony fs100 on a slider.... all running at 25p- never seen anything but normal fluid action from them ( i know...they cost more)

This mild flicker / strobing is unfortunately slightly unconvincing.... as it takes my mind of what I should be doing which is being absorbed by the material.... But I will do your tests you suggest and then judge....

Btw - Which settings should strobing normally be un-noticeable? Like real life, non digital, fluid motion? Should it be 24p with 40/50 Shutter, or 25p, or 50p?

If the tests come out with something useful I'll post them, if this has all been user error and my ProCamera friends shows me something I completely missed I will post that too.... Best.

• @Pulse There will always be some strobing when playing back 24P material. In my case it was more than just flicker or strobing. In all bit-rates the cadence was be extremely choppy with some tearing and pixel dropouts in the image during pans of any speed. And that was after conversion to Prores at both high and low bitrates.

Keep us posted.

• Thanks Conundrum, I will do precisely those tests, it will help when I go back to the shop to have all of those ready if it still does the strobing, I really dont want to return the camera but I completely understand your reasons for doing so - it is a size able investment, and this is all about capturing life at the end of the day....it should look life like!

Robbin I use a mac book pro and a apple cinema display.... this kind of set up is what 99% of my audience is going to use in the next years, I might submit stuff to film festivals at some point but for now its Vimeo and Youtube.

Thanks for the replies.

• @pulse how do you playback your footage? Watching on a monitor connected to computer is no good. I just bought bm intensity pro and hooked it up to my projector. Can now get 1080p 24 playback at 24Hz from timeline in resolve and premiere.

• @Pulse Yes I returned the camera and supposedly it was sent to Panasonic for review. I've been waiting for the new firmware to pick one up again. Sometimes the strobing can be due to your video card not being able to playback the 50 or 72 Mbps files properly. Try shooting at 24 fps, shutter speed of 40 or 50 in IPB 50mbps, then transcode it to Prores 422 and output a full-rez QuickTime file and see if it still stutters. If it does, try again at 60 fps and shutter speed of 120. As a final test transcode to Prores proxy and output a quicktime at the lower bitrate and see how that plaIf it still does the stuttering, you might be in the same position I was when I returned mine. I also really liked the camera and am hoping that this cadence issue affects just specific cameras. I have seen some examples of pretty smooth pans on vimeo but I've seen others that judder right along.

• @Pulse You need to set your shutter to 50 to loose the strobing effect. It has to be the closest multiple to your actual recording frame rate.

• I have only seen success using the AVCHD codec transcoded to pro res on one example.... it's damn confusing though: needing to get all the way to a transcoded NLE to know if your shots worked out.

I dont want to hate on the camera since I think its dope but this has been bugging me since day 1!!

• Hi Conundrum, I am using the 35-100 2.8 and the 20mm Pancake 1,7 Lumix lenses. Both are excellent. I have been going through all the codecs with diff. frame rates, and have lost many hours trying to resolve this. right now I have convinced myself the only thing close to a natural life motion is AVCHD 24FPS with shutter at 30/40. Everything else strobes more or less and looks pretty unnatural to me.... it sucks cos I really really like the GH3 but this is a major issue because part of what I use it for is product videos and there will always be some smooth tracking shots required.....

I read your previous posts.... didn't you give your camera back? I dont want too, but may have to if I cant get one basic smooth pan out of it.

• @Pulse Just curious, which lens are you using and what is your frame-rate and shutter speed combination? Also, are you seeing the choppy motion in your NLE or after final output? Did you transcode to Prores before your edit or on output?

I had that issue too, but I've also seen some pretty smooth tracking and panning on some web examples as well.

• @stanlymanly2 Great video! yeah there is some cinematic vibe there for sure. Say how did smooth panning and tracking shots work for you, I had my camera a little over a week and am still having trouble with choppy motion, pans etc.

if anyone has a tip for this would be awesome, I wonder if it is my SD Card. 32BG Gold Panasonic SDHC I,Write 45 MB/s.

I love this camera, but am a bit down that I cannont figure out how to get smooth tracking / motion... :(

Greetings

• @stanlymanly2 That was very creative, filmed, musical scoring, and edited so great! You are very talented... Al

• @stanlymanly2 , great work!

• Yet, curious to see a scientific test of GH2 vs. GH3.