Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @Manu4Vendetta, that DR test video seems strange to me. If someone is going to do a test they need to at least make some kind of effort to match the conditions as much as possible. Starting with the lens. Why do a test like this using the 14-140 on one cam and the 20mm on the other? That just seems nuts to me. Then since the GH3 can be adjusted far more why would we use settings that are so far from those that we can set on the GH2? There has to be some kind of baseline in order to make a test useful. Still waiting to see a test done that is using best practices.

• The EVF has UNITS ARE PROBLEMS OR BAD? BETTER OR NOT THAT THE GH2 EVF?

• @Manu4Vendetta GH2 is with f10 brighter than with f9 and even brighter than with f8. Sorry I think this can not be without some automatic influencing the signal of the GH2. Or some mistake.

• This test is not correct and we can say it is an intriguing attempt from its creator.

• GH2 records levels 16-235, GH3 records 0-255. I think GH3 clips in dynamic range test above lacks 15 steps in highs and lows. You must not play or edit GH2 and GH3 clips same way. For example in potplayer or mpc you must set output levels correctly.

• Different lenses, zoom vs. prime in particular, are not a good idea. They influence scene contrast a lot.

I can shoot a scene with my old Tokina zoom vs. a modern prime and gain one and a half stop of DR, just because it's a lo-con lens.

• A test this is not, GH2 vs GH3 is already so subjective, and then when you make poorly attempted comparison videos and call them test it really gets ridiculous. If he didnt take the time to shoot with the same lens or similar lens, he probably didnt adjust ISO, or distance, as the crop of the cameras look off.

• Hi, I'm a video guy who will be getting my GH3 shipped this week. Does anyone know if I can connect the HDMI output on the GH3 to an external monitor and monitor video while I'm recording an interview? I know I can't do it with my GF3. I can only play back recorded video. By then, it's too late to make an adjustment, of course. Thanks!

• @timfreaks , yes you can with GH3 (even GH2)

• Hai I read an article of Voldemort saying that gh3 has a clean hdmi out for external recorders like ninja 2. is this camera firmware hackable like gh2 ?

• i just found something interesting for photos and videos . if you go into custom menu - set AF/AE lock to AF-ON and Shutter AF OFF , something magic hapenned!

Turn EVF ON , put your eye on , then LCD monitor closes BUT it doesn't deactivated! What this means is, you can view your image via EVF and with your right thump you can change your focus point while you are shooting while you are drag it in the monitor. Try it, its very impressive….

• Great find! Pity it does not work on GH2 :( PS Do you turn EVF ON by EVF/LCD button next to viewfinder?

• I thought the feature was already available in G5. Yes Gh3, too.

• I don't think the monitor AF function has anything to do with the AF/AE lock button, unless there's a firmware bug. The setting is found on p.7 of the custom menu: Touch settings>Touch Pad AF.

• yes , you are right ! the right setting to choose, is Touch settings>Touch Pad AF !

The other settings are for AF ON back button focus .

• GoPro Hero3 Black edition has preview on smartphone during video recording, but only with the latest version of Android. GH3 video preview is still not posible?

• @crisvpl The lumix app has basically has no functionality for video, save hitting the start button. You can't even stop the recording via the app. I really hope Panasonic (or vk) can find a way to give the app the same control in video that it has for stills. That would be brilliant for pulling focus, adjusting exposure, etc., without any worry about camera shake.

• Continuous wi-fi connectivity during video will be a battery killer – I'm sure that factored into why that feature was left out of the app.

• Sold my GH2. I really liked that camera! Now I thinking to buy a GH3 or BMCC, don't know yet for shure

• @Henry Could be that, or it could be insufficient bandwidth or processing power, or more likely a combination of the three. But we can hope!

• Hi everyone :)

My first post - I am absolutely new to all things Panasonic, and I'm making the jump over to Panasonic DSLR from Canon DSLR. I have my sights set on purchasing the GH3 in the next few days, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with two questions I have;

Is there a "flat profile" like the Techicolor Cinestyle profile that is available on Canon DSLR cameras? If not, is there a custom profile that you guys use to give your image a flat look which maximises the camera's dynamic-range?

I live in Australia and so will be buying the PAL GH3 - the maximum frame-rate possible in 1080P is 50FPS - however, I have been told there is an option that does 60FPS at 1080P on PAL models, but conforms it in a 24P wrapper? Is this correct? If so, does anyone know what bitrate the video is when this option is used?

Thanks in advance to any replies, much appreciated :)

• 'Focus peaking and zebra pattern. More than 90% of the requests we're getting are for these features. We haven't been able to offer it - because of the limits of resources and of the Venus Engine processor. Because it is not included in the Venus Engine, focus peaking is very hard to introduce - anything we added in software would be very different.'

Via Panasonic interview at http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1806874590/cp-2013-panasonic-interview

• Damn, was hoping that they add focus peaking, guess it's time to start putting money together for a monitor.