Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @Conundrum Wow, well, guess it actally was your camera. :) Also, you already got a refund on yours while mine is still in Japan :'(

• This one looks great :-)

• The Comparison from olivia shows me that actually all 4 cameras have pretty good footage with that rokinon lens in normal conditions. There are different things to like for each shot, in some cases just the image quality compared to the price of the camera used... Guess the differences are probably easier to tell when these cameras get pushed to their limits so I'm looking forward to that test from @Shian

Bragg Creek footage is really nice but unfortunately stutters a bit (waterflow and the pans)

• @Jwalker Did you try to take original footage off the camera and try to see if the hiccups are everytime at the same moment ?

• I just tested my little canons S95 pan/tilt against the GH3 and the motion is a lot smoother on the point and shoot, this can't be right. Either my camera is broken or I'm overseeing something major in the settings. Tried to upload some footage here but I can't get it small enough, will try again tomorrow. Thanks

My results look very much like the video that was posted by TheWindcharger on dec 8.

• What setting in the GH3? The Canon 95 uses 720/50(60)p and of course this will be absolutely smooth whe you pan. You can not compare this to a 24p or 25p mode in the GH3, which will not be smooth. But this is a 24/25p problem. You also have to use a 50p mode. Then it will be smooth as well.

• Aked, I have the hiccup/stutter on 50p too, a little less but still pretty much unusable. Will post some footage asap. thanks.

• @Jwalker, I tested out a GH3 yesterday at 24p/50mbps .mov with a nikon nikkor 28mm f2, rokinon 35mm f1.4 and carl zeiss planner 85mm AE f1.4. Did slow pans, I didn't see no 'hiccups' or any of the things you guys talk about. (can you explain some more) I have checked it with my tv via hdmi and on my imac. All I will say is; yup, I wasn't planning on buying the GH3 anytime soon but I put my order in already lol.

• @HillTop1

Glad to hear you had no issues. I do think its a great camera and will most definitely pick up another one in a couple of months. I always try to control my impulse to buy rev1 stuff but I always seem to wind up getting it anyway. This issue may simply affect certain cameras or may be the 12-35 lens in combination under certain situations. Neither I nor the guys who tested it at the store have a clue. Whatever the case, enjoy yours and can't wait to see some examples.

• In the Bragg Creek sample video posted earlier, one can see a very slight jitter of the left fence post at 1:03, as the camera pans to the right. I verified by looking at the downloaded mp4 file.

• @Kob I just downloaded the mp4 of the Bragg Creek sample and cannot find the "jitter" that you are talking about at 1:03. If you mean that it "jitters" because you are playing a 23.976fps video on a 60Hz monitor, then yes, it will appear to jitter.

I put the sample into After Effects and tracked a point on the left fence post. It tracked evenly across. If you have After Effects, try bringing the sample in and interpreting it as 29.97fps. When played back on a 60Hz monitor, it should not appear to "jitter".

• @fredfred27 thanks for the pointer. However, I don't have AE, so maybe my monitor (CRT at 75 Hz and also tried at 85 Hz) is not tuned correctly to the clip. I will try to find panning clips shot by other cameras to compare system-wise.

• @jwalker:

Do you have a standalone mediaplayer or a TV with mp4 HD playback? No computermonitor plays 24p, 25p and 50p correctly.

• Of course not! How can a monitor with 75 Hz or 85 show 24 fps smoothly?

• @nomad, I am no video or display technology expert, but the 75 Hz is the vertical refresh rate, so I'd assume I'd see, at most, a jitter on no-panning view or during vertical panning - but that direction looks smooth. Jitters are always observed on only horizontal panning or horizontal object movements. Anyway, I will investigate this further. Thanks.

• @jwalker @kob I did the same test tonight... And as @kob mentionned with a good projector or tv or even a pc screen forced to 24hz or 25hz... no more hickup with downloaded file (the vimeo compression is really crap). I'm gonna connect a led tv (my samsung monitor doesn't like other refresh rate than 59 or 60hz) as a second monitor tomorow to try but i'm very happy that it is not at all a problem with my beloved GH3 ;-). Does anyone know a good soft on mac os x to select the refresh rate (may be gonna start another topic for that).

• @The Windcharger . . . Artifacts, ghosting, blocky. . . horrible -

I think I keep my GH2

• Where exactly have you seen the artifacts? Ghosting is not any cameras' problem, so it is wrong to talk about Ghosting as a camera's problem. The noise also is for sure less in GH3 than the hacked GH2.

• @Butt... Were you watching the same video of the circus as I am? Artifacts? Ghosting? Blocky? I see a lowlight video with near impossible lighting mixtures gelled and a camera doing an incredible job ingesting it with rich color and a really decent DR holding some difficult highlights.

• @Butt I think we all get the message now.....you will keep your GH2 and good for you.