Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 3
  • 1137 Replies sorted by
  • @Conundrum Yeah its weird, I directed a shoot with 5d MKIIs and IIIs as well as sony fs100 on a slider.... all running at 25p- never seen anything but normal fluid action from them ( i know...they cost more)

This mild flicker / strobing is unfortunately slightly unconvincing.... as it takes my mind of what I should be doing which is being absorbed by the material.... But I will do your tests you suggest and then judge....

Btw - Which settings should strobing normally be un-noticeable? Like real life, non digital, fluid motion? Should it be 24p with 40/50 Shutter, or 25p, or 50p?

If the tests come out with something useful I'll post them, if this has all been user error and my ProCamera friends shows me something I completely missed I will post that too.... Best.

• My screen is getting looser by the day. Now I don't want to send it back and be without. Can anybody guide me to what screws I need to fasten and how to get there, much appreciated!!!

• @emonty

Always use search. Plus this topic is not for this, it is mostly for Issues topic.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5969/gh3-lcd-hinge-cover-fix#Item_3

• Sorry, thank you for the link!

• @feha, @aljimenez, @Pulse Thanks guys! For the panning and such, i haven't experienced choppyness at all. Im sure I just haven't done anything to encounter it yet but I may experience this soon as I've seen a few posts with the same issue. A lot of the the shots were in 60p and when in 24p i was using a monopod or tripod. I am going to shoot a music video this saturday and if I come across this problem I'll let you know what may be causing it.

Otherwise it is all about settings, 24p i shoot in 1/50th shutter and 60p I go up to 1/125 or 1/160th. When I watched Philip Bloom's GH3 video, I observed the panning shot with the corvette speeding down the highway. I think he shot at a higher frame rate then conformed it to 24p. The cards I use are the 95mb/s Sandisk cards. Maybe a higher quality card would help you@Pulse. Thanks again guys!

• Hey stanlymanly2 , Sure thing!. Yeah it's weird, I really wanna use a 95 mbs card before I draw any conclusions here, it just makes sense that a camera with such high bit rates needs the headroom of 95 mbs cards. Also I have to say, I think playback is also highly questionable, watching other you tube clips these days I am on the look out for these kinds of jumps in camera movement, not just in GH3 videos, on any video, and I see them all over the place.. last night I was at a screening of oscar nominated short films, really well produced stuff, like super high end short films, and they had jumps... not because of the production, because of the playback, projection what ever, I think some things struggle to make that smooth playback....

So yeah no firm decision my side, doing more tests today, and even though I can post the clips, still they are on you tube and filmed using a 45MBs card... so likely inconclusive.....as either of these factors could contribute...

• I was really on the fence between GH3 and D5200. Being a long-time Nikon owner I was pretty excited about the performance I have been seeing from the D5200 but I needed to make a choice and just go with it. I took a chance and just ordered my GH3 this morning from Texas Media Systems. I should have it by end of week and look forward to field-testing.

• DOR....it is a really cool camera.....

That is the ranking of the sever testers form the German “Stiftung Warentest“. As you see the Panasonic Gh3 ranked as current best DSLR+Mirrorless System Camera. Also the compact cameras from Panasonic and Olympus are on top of the list. Quite an astonishing result! That said there is no such thing as a perfect ranking and testing. It all depends from what you need :)

http://www.43rumors.com/the-camera-quality-ranking-from-stuftung-warentest-germany-in-stock-at-amazon-on-sunday/

Bildschirmfoto2013-03-26um155631_zpsb3cb8061.png
    1024 x 348 - 306K
  • Time to change from hacked (MOON) GH2 to GH3, any suggestions? any future hack plans?

• Firmware v1.1 is out! http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

1. Connecting to PC via Wi-Fi by inputting the computer name (the NetBIOS name for Apple Mac computers) is enabled.
    2. 1920 x 1080, 60p[NTSC]/50p[PAL], 28Mbps mode is added in the video recording option of [MP4].
    3. Speed of AF, consecutive shooting performance of AFC is enhanced in use with H-PS14042 and H-PS45175. *Please update the firmware of the lens to its latest version.
    4. The monitor continues to display images during HDMI output even while [Auto LVF/Monitor OFF] is set.
    5. Instability of shutter interval during interval shooting is improved.
    6. When [Shutter AF] is OFF, operation is changed not to enlarge the image while using [Pinpoint AF] when even if shutter button is half-pressed.
    7. Performance of image signal processing is enhanced during video file playback.
  • Nice, I love the fact that now you actually see exactly what you are recording, no more orange and over saturated LVF while recording!

• Time to change from hacked (MOON) GH2 to GH3, any suggestions? any future hack plans?

What do you mean?

Gh3 body is on the way to me, firmware is available.

Firmware format is totally different from cameras of GH2 generation. Hence all as usual, dumping (if sucessfull). And later reversing.

• Just finished upgrading.. external display disappearing bug/feature still exists.. damn.

• gamma/tone/WB shift still exists and no AE lock to shutter halfpress... nmad

• @drbuckyballs

How about look few posts above?

• This is not much of upgrade except the EVF ... as @SuperSet
    "external display disappearing bug/feature still exists" very bugging ... :-(

Hope soon we will be able to get VK version, I just want time limit removal for PAL-EU , anything more is welcome :-)

• Just made the upgrade... At last I have continuous display without interruption via hdmi out for my Blackmagic Intensity Pro. Great for live streaming !

• EVF much better after updating firmware. There was somekind of lagging when panning in certain lighting from left to right or right to left but not from up to down or down to up. The picture in EVF went a littlebit foggy and it feld like the refresh rate dropped a lot.

This weird behaviour appeared with native lenses and 3rd party lenses. It was only in EVF, not LCD or recorded movie. It was present during recording and also only looking through EVF w/o recording. I guess I have a pretty early version of GH3, serial nr ...KA001001. Havent seen discussion of this problem before but now its gone with firmware update. EVF is very good!

• do all custom settings remain after the upgrade?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev sorry, was getting too excited, can't wait for the hack!!!! (just did the update also)