Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Pentax K-01 Digital Mirrorless
  • 162 Replies sorted by
  • @namtot wow that looks good for a random vid. Can't wait to see more.

• first video sample, i need to see more as im really considering this.

• 720p60. Not 1080p60.

• I guess you either love or hate the design - I love it, very much.

• Looks even nicer in videos than in pictures.

• This combo looks good.image

K01_FALtd.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 161K
  • Haha. I like.

1328429548_1.jpg
    640 x 424 - 112K
    1328429552_3.jpg
    424 x 640 - 107K
    1328429554_4.jpg
    640 x 424 - 116K
    1328429550_2.jpg
    424 x 640 - 120K
  • I like it. Really who cares what it looks like, everything is hated until it becomes the norm, then the masses pretend they loved it from the beginning (iphone, blah blah)

Is it known yet if it can output mjpeg? If you can hack it to do 4:2:2 1080, I´d buy one without a doubt.

• That doesn't sound bad at all for Pentax K-01. Initially AF (albeit slow), then MF. Definitely not for candid video. But good for indie film.

• But where are CDAF lenses? What about AFC?

Video oriented lenses are exactly the point why Canon and Nikon are so afraid to make APS-C mirrorless cameras. As people instantly realise that their current lenses are no longer suitable and they need new ones :-)

What about AF speed? Even if AF sucks, MF video might be great on this system...

Especially considering that even old KA lenses (Vivitar, for example) are all auto including aperture except focus. But AF will suck :-)

• Why shorter ffd = less sharp corners? It's not true.

Nex system (and m4/3 too) has got a very large mount, compared to the sensor size, which helps in designing lenses with good corners performance.

Only Leica had such a problem, during the transition to digital, because of its relatively small mount.

• The current mirrorless nx/m43/e/x/cx/q mounts have much shorter flange focal distance (ffd) than dslrs'.

The m43/cx/q has smaller sensor and shorter ffd. Thus smaller lenses, sharper corners, more noisy sensors.

The nx/e/x has aps-c sensor and shorter ffd. Thus big lenses, less sharp corners, less noisy sensors.

Who says mirrorless can't have longer ffd? Pentax removed the mirror and kept the k mount. Thus big lenses and good sensors. Sounds reasonable. Prolly good corner sharpness. But where are CDAF lenses? What about AFC? What about AF speed? Even if AF sucks, MF video might be great on this system... if Pentax is serious about video features.

• @adelorenzo: "I don't compare it to an SLR, but rather compare it to all the other compact mirrorless cameras out there."

Sorry but I couldn't agree less:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#285,34

http://3.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/4846894009/side-by-side4.jpg

Again: K-01 needs to be an excellent video tool in order to make any sense, otherwise it will be a mutilated DSRL more than a mirrorless camera

• @stonebat

:-) As on every camera that I know.

• No built-in hdmi lock either...

• What could be really interesting for video (if scaling is done right), is if the hdmi port gives a clean signal. If so (enabling external recording), it does make for a really interesting video module.

• @EOSHD

I don't think anyone is going to sell their SLR for this camera.

However, I might very well sell my Panasonic GF2 for this camera, especially since I am already using adapted Pentax lenses.

I think it looks awesome, I am strangely drawn to the yellow one. I like the price vs. features. I'm already used to shooting without a viewfinder, it has its drawbacks but for a compact camera it works pretty well.

I don't compare it to an SLR, but rather compare it to all the other compact mirrorless cameras out there.

• Looking at the boxy design, there's nothing blocking around the mount. No problem in using a follow focus either side. The thick base & sturdy body would give more lens support. Plus live HDMI, ext mic-in, audio level, full manual control, and 24/25/30/50/60p. K-5 sensor has 13 steps dynamic range for JPEG. Add a bunch of Samyang 14/24/35/85mm K-mount where 14mm is around 22mm in 35mm format. No adapter required. Body only $749.

Waiting for hands-on reviews and samples...

• I am in love.

can't wait for the video mode tech spec, codec, 10-bit, hdmi uncompressed,422... VK hack,.... oh sweet dreams

canon is really out of the game, sure they are preparing some fancy announcement for their mirrorless, just prepare 10K$ and canon will find the way to take it

• Fact is, it is not for me

Can I ask stupid question?

What are you doing in this topic in such case?

You also have horrid specifications fixation. Especially for the cameras you never ever held yoursels.

• @EOSHD

Most Pentax lens owners don't have K-5 :-) Or just want good extra camera.

As well as many new users, who'll certainly buy it.

• And there's no right and wrong here. Everyone has a personal reason for liking something, and different needs. I don't have any Pentax screw-drive AF glass, so what would I do with a screw-drive on the mount? Attach a toothbrush and brush my teeth with it?

Fact is, it is not for me.

Olympus OM-D on other hand... 5 axis image stabilisation, 9fps very fast digital sensor readout, 1080p and probably a very good, clean output, lovely style of body and high build quality, fastest AF in the world, plenty of nice lenses, decent EVF. I think it could be a GH2 beater.

Have just got the NEX 7. That is also very nice.

• My understanding is very few Pentax lens owners don't already own a Pentax DSLR. So they are all going to rush out and sell their K5 for this Lego Brick?

• @EOSHD

You are keeping doing it :-) It is so funny.

Let's just conclude that you have zero understanding of Pentax market and lenses.