Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @vitally the first one looks pretty good to me .. I am happy .. it's probably psf stuff that is causing the streamparser and media info tools to show interlaced
  • Maybe a comment about the "improve NR" and the better light adjusment of the Flash?
  • @Shield

How about stopping?
    Interlaced what? If you are about images, second one is from 50i mode :-)
  • Looking pretty interlaced to me. What say you Vitaliy?

Night all.
  • These are not impressive, however no matter to me is if psf or wrapped in whatever.
    Both Clips were taken seconds apart at 50iFSH and 25pHBR

Imported into an Avid Media Composer 25P project as DNx185X

Then a 2 field freeze frame made and saved as a jpg

The image on the left is 25P the one on the right is 50i
    25pHBR FF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 534K
    50iFSH FF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 812K
  • The new firmware looks promising especially the mitigated gamma shift issue. The half-shutter looks great for photos and MF video. Hmmm.... improved noise reduction?
  • So, only 25p in 24Mbps...nothing on the GOP...The only way i'm getting it is when it will be cracked to do better.
  • @shield
    Maybe streamparser is making a mistake, if they changed the encoding method in this firmware. I don't know as I don't use streamparser, but it could be possible. a screenshot at 100% with apparent interlacing could solve this promptly...
  • @kavadni

Can you go back to PTooled firmware after the 1.1 firmware? Or are you stuck with 1.1?

I understand that PTools does not function with 1.1
  • Is there any difference in apparent resolution between 24p and 25p? Anybody tested that?
  • Any other tests? I've got to get some rest...:)
  • Why would streamparser say 60i Wrapper?
  • Here's output from streamparser. @tmcat - no I'm trying out the new HBR mode.

streamparser.JPG
    1289 x 681 - 158K
  • @Shield

Look at the post above, even Panasonic doc says that it is 30p.
  • @shield Are you using cinema or manual movie mode? just kiddin.

but seriously now...
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Everything I have says it's interlaced for the high bit rate mode. Have you tried it yourself? Not talking about the 25p for PAL.
  • @Shield

This is progressive things.
    I suggest just to look at actual footage.
    It requires few seconds tops.
  • This firmware update is a great news for PAL model users, at last 25P!
    The 25P HBR (High Bit Rate) mode.
    You guys have been waiting for decent 25P for a long time.
    NTSC model users will get 30P HBR (High Bit Rate) mode instead.
    (Below is the Japanese info about this new firmware... hope you can spot"30P" in the middle of the 1st page)
    https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/support/jp/dsc/fts/win/GH2_ver1.1_VQC8964_jpn.pdf

• Nothing conclusive here regarding HDMI .. something is different tho.

I have a Samsung TV .. now I have to have Viera link on (I thought was panasonic only) .. if viera link is off I get nothing. I find that strange.

It's still interlaced
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Both Sony Vegas and MediaInfo say it's interlaced 29.97.

From MediaInfo:

Video

Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 21.0 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 21.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.338
    Stream size : 31.4 MiB (94%)

• I've tried several of the film modes; standard, cinema, etc. and in bright light and dim light from 160-3200 iso I do NOT see much of a gamma shift now when I hit record, if at all.
  • I would like to know that when I upgrade to firmware 1.1, can I still rever back to the hacked 1.0 or did Panasonic add additional security that makes the hack impossible with 1.1 as base (like what Apple is doing all the time)?
  • I have extele on Function 1
    When I press that, I now have 2 lines of menu :

Photo on/off
    Video on/off
  • @Shield
    >29.97 interlaced on NTSC USA cameras.

I have big doubts in your words.
    Show me interlaced footage :-)
  • @kavadni - I'm testing in a very dark room, but it appears to be way less for me on the gamma shift. Let me turn some lights on. Got to restore my 24p "C1" setting as the high bitrate mode for me is pointless. 29.97 interlaced on NTSC USA cameras.

Also I'd like to point out that I had never hacked this GH2, so it was pretty unmolested before the Panny firmware update.