Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2
  • 1024 Replies sorted by
  • Might wanne post some settings, shutter, iso, lens, etc? also the GH3 is preproduction, not final, so the firmware is not yet final.

• Left GH2, Right Gh3

Highlight handeling, dynamic range is much better on the gh3, also the skinetone holds up WAY better then on the GH2.

Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 1.53.07 PM.png
    719 x 503 - 387K
    Screen Shot 2012-10-27 at 1.53.10 PM.png
    834 x 508 - 542K
  • @sicovdplas the 2 photos are not exposed the same and dont have same temperature so your conclusion (even if it seems to be true) are a bit "a priori".

@amateur bonjour, pas mal ton montage. gh2 looks more crispy for sure. As far as detail is concerned, it is a big difference from gh2 and gh3. Btw, you should have correct white temperature for the 2 clips look the same. We can see clipped highlight with gh2 (we know gh2 has poor DR, especially in the highlights). Shadows are better in gh3 (see the black suit). I am a bit worried about detail given by the gh3 (compared to gh2).

I think it is the very FIRST video that shows the guts of gh3. Bravo amateur, you are a pro :-)

• @magnifico

it is taken from a forum i didn't did the montage ^^' i just expose in the forum, bonne soirée

GH3 sample : http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedroboe/8126723081/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• Not sure why everyone is emphasizing these dynamic range tests as opposed to the ones linked earlier in the thread - which were tripod based, much closer in framing, had the settings indicated more clearly in the thread and only had the disadvantage of comparing the un-hacked GH2 to the GH3.

• Ah i see now, the compression of the video is retarded, f4v is way to hard on compression.

• @thepalalias you just pointed out why the *.f4v test has advantage : comparing gh3 vs gh2. As we know gh2 better, we can now clearly see what are the guts of gh3 now. Even if f4v is compressed, because here, compression is on par for gh2 and gh3.

This test shows clearly that gh3 has less detail than gh2. It is a regression. gh2 is a gem and still has the crown :-) This test shows gh3>gh2 as far as DR is concerned. This test shows gh3 has no color cast as gh2 has.

• @magnifico I'm not sure I follow your comments about the .F4V test. The test mentioned back on page 12 was also a comparison of the GH2 vs GH3, just that the GH2 used stock settings.

But in general I still agree with your comments - though I feel it's still too early to tell about most things other than dynamic range.

• Those two images are exactly the same file.

• @thepalalias I have seen the stills in page 12. The problem is that they are stills and I prefer to see parallel footage for comparison :-) Ok I follow you about hacked vs non hacked gh2...But you know that the big positive part of the of the hack of gh2 was about increasing bitrate.

And there for original footage, bitrate for gh2 seems to be 30mb/s and for gh3 : 70 mb/s. Even with this, detail (just my feeling given by the .F4v footage) of gh2 is much better than detail of gh3.

gh3 is a big improvement over gh2 for ergonomics, 50p, 60p, DR, colors, stills IQ, bitrates, codecs, etc... except for the main thing (what made gh2 famous): detail.

And detail is about seing footage in the big sceen :-)

I hope I am wrong. Who knows, maybe some improvment of gh3 are hiden. May be the operator of the .F4v footage did wrong...I hope so.

• magnifico.....+1 all footage I saw gave the same conclusions with this beta firmware:

• lack of detail
    • moiré
    • aliasing.

GH2 seems to be better, ... much better than GH3.

Vitaliy seems to have a lot of work to beat his precedent GH2 hack :-))

• Yeah, I havent posted here for a while cause I lost interest in the GH3.. I was excited about the GH3, but to be honest after I saw the first 4 or 5 clips thats when I totally lost interest in it. I am sure some will be delighted with it, I am not saying its bad, but I definitely saw a loss of detail in all those earlier clips ...starting with the Philip Bloom Clip and on from there, nothing that looked great to me in terms of nice articulated detail. (Others may disagree) It may have better dynamic range, better noise etc... but (to me) it has a sort of Sony Vidcam look about it, the GH2 has a far more unique look (even out of the box with no hack). So I am excited about buying another GH2 tho, and I will be careful with the less dynamic range...I can live with that for now, hopefully in the future something better will come up. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Blah blah blah.. I'm still pretty sure the gh3 is a serious update to the gh2 image-wise, even if most of the footage we've seen is terribly shot. Still waiting to preorder this lovely camera!

• I don't see this great difference in detail. I think too many of us are exaggerating the difference in detail between the 2 cameras. It's nothing like the difference between the GH2 and an AF100 or 5Dmk3. From everything i've seen head to head they're is a less than 1% difference in detail in the GH2's favor.

In addition I don't see this "Sony" look to the footage that's being claimed. All of this seems like people just wanting to see some flaws that aren't there. The random Moire and Aliasing is one thing, but some of these other claims seem bogus to me.

• No Problems...simply buy the GH3 and be happy. Just stating my personal view, after all...we all have a personal view and others may not agree, thats fine...we just have to simply agree to disagree. Some of us see a Sony look and notice less detail and others dont, its no world changing event. You either buy the new GH3 and love it or you dont buy it, its that simple.

• No problem Aria, we are all free to express our point of view here :-) And who knows? Maybe these videos are fake, etc...

• Has anyone heard whether the XLR input adapter is going to be a real thing or if that was/is just an unsubstantiated rumor. For me - being able to have a solid audio input connection would be huge.

• The problem is that people tend to be extremely subjective on what is "quality". That's why we must wait for a proper, controlled test before panicking over poorly shot web videos :)

• @Astro tbh, i was like that with the gh3 at first. now im excited to get it. Im a wedding filmmaker and I used two GH2's. After seeing what the image of iso 3200 looks like, i was sold on it. I just want a m43 camera specifically in the panasonic lineup that can do 3200 iso without that annoying line coming up in the middle area or muddy noise. if this sony sensor will give us a nice useable image at high iso's then im sold. I think the GH3 will be amazing. Early web videos shot by "PHOTOGRAPHERS" not "FILMMAKERS" doesnt scare me at all. I know I can make an nice image out of the GH3 and I bet you can to and everyone else here. Thats all that matters really, who can really use the GH3 to its full potential.

• This pre-release review of the GH3 just popped up. Some good info from Michael Reichmann.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh3_field_review.shtml

• @stanlymanly2

I think the GH3 will be amazing. Early web videos shot by "PHOTOGRAPHERS" not "FILMMAKERS" doesnt scare me at all. I know I can make an nice image out of the GH3 and I bet you can to and everyone else here. Thats all that matters really, who can really use the GH3 to its full potential.

BEST POSITIVE COMENT IN 10 PAGES. +1.

GHx series reminds me of the Toyotas amazing 4AGE engine used in Levin/Trueno corollas. Little 1.6 twin cam 4 cilinder engine, 140hp in its last generation 16valve. Its use extended till N2 and Formula atlantic series, natually aspirated making 250hp at 11,000 rpm in Formula 2 type cars . GHx series are like that. Grate handling, runs very good under pressure even overworkloads, high reving with high bitrate, small, complete, and compete with bigger clases, and even then it manages to get in the top 3 in the generals. Lol.

GH2 show us that grate tuning can make this little camera conect solidly in the chin to lots of bigger competing clases. GH3 will be a improved version no doubt. We have to tune it right.

Its in its own class, never big boy, never to small no to consider. GH is like Hachiroku :D We all are the "TRD" racing team from GH series. Developing more for better performance.

• I am editing concert footage from a GH2 and GH1 and do not see much of a difference. (The "difference" is the almost unnoticeable "vertical stripes" bug from the GH1. But besides this I forget which camera/take is in the timeline. I don´t think this will be the different in the future when combining shots of a GH2 with a GH3.

• Hi, I don't post much here but have a question: Is the lack in sharpness/detail that some people are noticing in comparing GH3 to GH2 footage something that can be helped by a firmware hack to give the GH3 an equivalent definition to a hacked GH2, or is the comparative lack of detail simply part of the sensor the GH3 is stuck with?

• Until we see properly done comparison test between a production GH3 and GH2, it's really not possible to get a final judgment on the relative differences between the 2 cameras. We can only guess at this point.

• @documentary It's as a result of myths perpetuated by folks who want to believe the GH2 has reached a pinnacle in DSLR performance that cannot be surpassed.

Myth #1 - Setting sharpness to -2 in the GH2 removes in-camera sharpening and leads to an accurate representation of the camera's true resolution. Truth: It softens the image to some degree, but we don't know how for sure.

Myth #2 - GH3 set to sharpening level -5 should be equal to a GH2 set on -2. Truth: Panasonic delivered on a request to increase the amount of adjustment range on contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction. We do not actually know if -5 increases softening in the GH3 beyond the GH2 set to -2, but it would certainly be reasonable to assume that is the case. Therefore, all tests shot comparing sharpness -5 and sharpness -2 probably mean absolutely nothing. It is more likely that the GH3 artificially softens the image at that extreme in order to justify the greater range that is now selectable in the menu.

I submit that is much more fair to compare a GH2 and a GH3 that are both set to 0,0,0,0 as it is the closest we can get to Mfr established baseline representative of the benchmark image. Why no one has used 0,0,0,0 settings for comparison once they get their hands on the camera for testing is a mystery to me. It's unlikely a Mfr would create 11 total steps of adjustment just to eliminate artificial sharpening from an image all the way down at -5.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions