Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • @Ralph_B Is what true?

Sanity only affects the video mode. It has nothing to do with photo mode

• Any of you guys check out the latest Apocalypse hacks and see how it compares to Sanity? I can see a little difference but not sure if it's worth the extra hard drive space.

• Is what true?

• @Ralph_B Is that true with all settings Ralph? I take so few stills anymore I hadn't bothered to find out.

• Sanity only affects the video mode. It has nothing to do with photo mode. If you're still pictures are clipped, I suggest shooting RAW, which will give you all the data the sensor is putting out.

• Is not the patch, the GH2's codec clips everything at 100%.

• Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I could not find an answer. Does GH2 photo mode with Sanity 5? All my pictures clipped, even on manual settings.

• @Ralph_B I'm not sure what the new cards are Ralph. Sandisk stopped making the 30mb cards that some said were more reliable, but I never noticed the difference between them and the 45mb that replaced them.

The Extreme you pictured is the low end I use and they work fine for me in most settings and flawlessly in Sanity. I have a box full of the Ultimate cards but only use them in GoPro's and game cameras.

The next step up are the Extreme Pro which is overkill for Sanity.

I've used the Transcend 64 gig in Sanity and didn't have any problems but don't really trust them.

• As if things couldn't get more confusing, now we have new Sandisk and old Sandisk cards. What I think might help is, if you have a card that works reliably, post a picture or a link of it here. That way people can see exactly what it is. I'm sure this approach isn't foolproof, but it's better than nothing.

I'll start. Here's the Sandisk card I used to develop Sanity. I guess it's one of the 'old' ones.

Sandisk.jpg
    476 x 591 - 84K
  • I use the SanDisk extreme 45mbs, not to confuse with the old ones. They work like a charm on any patch i used so far. Even some crazy driftwood intra stuff. Not one write error.

• @Ralph_B Sorry for the late reply. Yes both cards give errors, but I tried Driftwoods Cluster 6 and it gives errors with the cards as well. (Not often, but sometimes under 'hard' conditions in low light, with much movements) So I think I can conclude that besides the 45 MB/s also the SDHC 1 sandisk 30MB/s class 10 (new version ultra) don't work well for the (hacked) GH2. I tried to return the cards (around €70,=) but they don't want them back :-(

• @TraumManufaktur, I will see that video after, no go to job.

The video its original from camera, non post.

• @Manu4Vendetta did you shoot like this or did you grade it that dark? Take a look here.

The gist of it is that you have to light in a closer range and then grade to get pristine results.

• @TraumManufaktur Thanks.

Here an example during filming. It shows some noise in the background. :(

Password: testing

• @Peternap
    Thanks for lots of information. For stable and panning, Sanity is the best. If We could mix Sanity with Valkyrie from bkmcwd then bingo :=)

• @Ralph_B "Rest assured Sanity is reproducing the noise cleanly and not smearing it." Very true, and other times when I saw grain (like at 1600 ISO) it was very fine, pleasing. Thank you for this patch, this covers much of my run & gun needs, reliability is paramount, to go with speed in work-flow and file size. So much better than stock!

• @Manu4Vendetta Smooth -2, -2, -1, -1, 24p Cinema. All was shot with the 14-140 Lumix with OIS engaged, mounted on a Manfrotto Monopod. Mike was the Sennheiser MKE 300, which indoors picked up a lot of side noise. I only did light grading in FCP X, on a morning deadline. One could crush the blacks or apply a blur with a power window, for example using the plugin TKY Power Grade Lite v2.

• @TraumManufaktur, very nice.

What setting do you have used? Im filmming a short, the DP was using shutter 50, ISO320 with glasses Panix 20mm 1.7, Canon FD 50mm 1.4 and Tamron Tele Macro FD 80-210mm 3.8, in general im satisfied with the look, but have some noise in some areas, including a interior white wall with shadows zones. We have more scenes to film, so I need to greatly improve the visual appearance.

• @TraumManufaktur

The noise in the black curtains is a GH2 issue. The deepest shadows will always have a little noise, even at ISO 160. Rest assured Sanity is reproducing the noise cleanly and not smearing it.

• @TraumManufaktur Very nice! Yep, Sanity 5 is one of the least discussed but most useful settings we have.

• @petersnap Sanity 5 performed like a charm in difficult light run and gun this weekend. Adjusted the light meter 2/3 to the right, gave me beautiful, clear images. Only thing I noticed was noise on a black curtain indoors. Disregard the horrible shotgun sound.

• @tinbeo It depends on what the subject is. I have used them in P mode with good results but in this case the speaker was at a podium and I locked focus and exposure on it. The lenses were manual primes.

One lens was a Samyang 7.5 which gave me a view of half of the room and one was a 50mm 1.7 on a 7 foot tripod in the back of the room, That gave a good head to chest shot with enough room to allow for some movement.

The XA10 was wide and close to the speaker on auto.

I had audio on all three cameras and two H4N's (Redundancy) One connected to my wireless mic at the podium and one plugged into the sound system.

There was an overflow outside and I was even able to move outside some with the AC160. I've found these crowd shots are more important than the speaker who can get dull real quick if you're only watching him.

Not to take this OT but a couple of things to remember, Audio is king. Video is just something to look at. (At these functions) I don't like unattended electronic lenses. I've never had a lockup with Sanity 5 but have in every other setting I've used and electronic lenses make it worse because they rob the CPU of resources. Auto focus tends to hunt in darker rooms so better to take autofocus off and risk a few seconds of soft video while the subject shifts around.

Last, think before you set up.....I set up a few GOPRO's at a senate hearing once, in front of the Senator's bench, on the floor, looking up at the speakers. The bill being considered was broadening the definition of a felony statute that involved indecent pictures. After a few speakers I realized I was close to videoing up the skirts of the clerks at the table.

• @peternap " I'll lock down two GH2's and a Canon XA10, turn them on and forget them.." How GH2s turned out? Did you set them auto mode? Wide or medium shot? Focus lock? Your inputs would be big help for my coming saturday shooting. I am going to use Sanity too.

• @peternap - that's exactly when I use Sanity, too. When I need to know that I'll get consistently good video, without having to check in on the camera periodically or replace SD cards ever hour. I recently had a similar gig, where I was operating three cameras. The GH2 was locked down on sticks, running Sanity 5, for three hours. It's the only patch I knew I could count on.

• Thanks @daihard, yes is the Extreme @ 45mb/s

Again buy another SD Class 10 of 16G @ 30mb/s and the seller has send the version @ 45MB/s.