Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • More Sanity 5 video:

Same settings as last time: 80% VMM, Vibrant (-2,-2,-1,-2). 14-42mm and Nikon 135mm 2.8 AI. I'm still amazed at the quality per file size, but the running water gave Sanity some difficulty. Here's the worst of them (which is still pretty good):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23922406/Buford%20Dam%20022.MTS (26 seconds, 96 MB)

The I frames look good, but subsequent frames go blocky.

• @Ashun - very nice!

Why at 80%, though?

• I like the look of 24p for cinematic stuff, but for the nature videos I've been shooting, I'm not concerned with the "soap opera" effect, and I like having to worry less about 24 fps judder during pans. 80% VMM is one the main reasons I use Sanity over others that give me writing speed errors on my card.

• @Ashun VERY NICE! What problems did you have with the water and what was he weather?

You must have steel nerves. The pans were great!

• Why not just shoot 30fps then and play it out slower? I'm just trying to see why use in-camera speed adjustments, vs standard framerates?

• @mo7ies Oh, I misunderstood. I increased the playback speed of the VMM video in Sony Vegas so it would display in real-time at 30fps. As for using VMM instead of HBR, HBR is compromised in all of the different settings. In Sanity, 24p and VMM give over 1 MB I frames, whereas HBR gives approximately half that and looks noticeably worse. I lose sound, but so far, poorly recorded rustling leaves haven't been compelling audio.

@peternap You can download the MTS I linked to take a look. If you go frame by frame, you should be able to clearly see the difference between an I frame and the rest of the GOP. Weather was hot, and I was lugging around a heavy tripod, so I was as well.

• @Ashun, got it, thanks. Leaves: you can always do foley in post :)

• Is there any way to confirm that sanity has correctly modified the firmware of the camera ? I check the firm version number for the body and still has number 1.1 firm version after the update (following the FAQ's step by step) is there any other way to check if the ini is working ? I have a new GF2 and I'm new at this.

• @diafragma1939 It seems many first timers are uncertain whether they actually applied the hack. One way to find out is, if you check Maximum ISO limit removal in ptools, the ISO's above 3200 in the camera menu won't be grayed out.

• In my GF2 ISO menu I have access to ISO 5000 and 6400, does that mean that Sanity has been loaded correctly ? For what I know my camera had originally ISO 6400 already. Second question you guys keep taking about HBR, 24p and some other parameters that I can't seem to find anywere, where are they ? For what I see, I only have the 1080i, 720p and MJPEG options, are my doing something wrong ?

• @subco ...finally now I get it... Thanks ...

• And what about, knowing if the patch is applied ? I went through every link you sent me in your other POST and I don't see any reference to this... The only one I found was in the FAQ's section and as I said before I followed it step by step, no errors in camera, everything seemed to go OK, but the body firm section still says it has version 1.1 of the firmware. How can this be ?

• @diafragma1939 , that firmware 1.1 displaying will not change with the hack ... you could spot a difference in recording time if the limit is removed it will show you more than 29 minutes ... (supposed you are using a 32gb SD cards)

• Then I'll have to wait to have a new SD card, because as of now I'm using a 8 GB Kingston Class 10 microSD with and SD adapter...Thanks

• I've just gone through a whole battery of recording time and before the battery when out power I've got 76 minutes and 31 seconds of recording time at 1080i with spanning after the first 4,29 GB - two archives one of 4,29 GB and one of 1,14 GB (Lens 14-42 original Olympus 4/3 lens from an e510 with Viltrox m4/3 adapter / PAL mode / -2-2-2-2 custom color settings / ISO 100 / I think it was in P mode but I'm not sure about that) in the 8 GB Kingston card I told you guys about in my last POST (It said that it had space for about 23 minutes and 45 seconds on star up).

Can this be possible ? Still over 2,5 GB free card space.

• Yes. Just yesterday I used my GH2 to record a very long video: 3.5hrs straight, in Sanity v5 1080p24. It spanned into four 4Gb files, very good image quality. Even played back in-camera! I used this card: walkingad.com/#SDXC - it is also listed on the SDHC card forum here.

• I spent most of today testing (and most of tonight pulling my hair out) S5 with the audio patch does very well. The compression settings for new hosting sites is another thing. The video clip is razor sharp on the ground but looks pretty bad on line

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxw0j_3rdtimeout-for-upload_travel

• @peternap Looks like super heavy compression, most likely by that Dailymotion site to conserve their bandwidth. I recommend Vimeo.com, they have Pro membership that gives you an option of better encoding. Also, have you looked at the recommendations for the online video encoding here? (right under the video) walkingad.com

• I fired Vimeo yesterday. I had a pro account!

I'm going to try Exposure Room next.

• Why? Xposure Room is OK, but I think Vimeo is better. Definitely V's embedding options are fantastic with Pro. I use V a bit, and so far so good - what problems did you encounter to the point of firing Vimeo??

• @moz7ies I have a thread about Vimeo going. Probably best to talk about it there.

Back on topic, Ralph, Most of what I did yesterday was on choppy water which almost always causes problems with other patches in 720P. I didn't have any card issues at all. I need to do some more testing on the audio but it doesn't seem to hurt the reliability of S5 at all.

• looking for a cheap and easy solution to power the GH2 with the dc coupler via a 12 volt battery, I use this little transformer , it puts out about 9.3 volts dc unloaded, and the gh2 seems to love it.....I use a li-ion brick thru a power supply, but if your brick has a d-tap or coax out, that would work too...the transformer will take up to 23 volts dc and out put 9.3... http://www.ebay.com/itm/260900095799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3658wt_1396

• @sinfafun :) Anally speaking, transformers can only work with AC. What you use is a DC/DC Converter.

• Still wondering what this audio patch does...

• @sinfafun , this topic is about Sanity ...