Personal View site logo
Apple making their own swamp with new MacOS
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • New update from my source

Apple is now developing 3 parallel lines of Macbook Pro notebooks

1. First line will be using 10nm Intel CPUs
    2. Second line will be using AMD APUs, some models will supply AMD GPUs with them
    3. Third line using their own ARM CPUs, final CPUs are not ready due to issue with 5nm TSMC process

Their own line is slowest, CPUs are not made for perisistent hard tasks.
    Whole Apple ARM design is made for high short load and instant thermal throttle after this.

Apple’s new chips will “give the Mac industry-leading performance per watt”

Present ARM chips are very badly optimized for high frequencies and best logn time performance.

It is still high probability that move to ARM chips will be cancelled as it is 3 top managers who push this, and is Apple performance in iPhone sales will be bad due to coronavirus we can see huge strategy shifts and change of Apple CEO.

• @kurth

As far as I understand their demo, desktop Macs will come with special big touchpad and this is that they used.

Not sure about touchscreens.

• In their new world, all ios apps will work on macs....but most interesting ios apps , like instruments, need an touchscreen. If they released a mpe touchscreen imac that would run Velocity Keyboard ( or geoshred or ifretless sax ), now that would be something interesting.

• On MacOS version numbers

Present new OS version is 11. Apple plans to catch iOS and iPad OS version numbers, but not instantly as they are afraid too much public attention to similarities with iOS. So, we'll have jump, but it will be made at the best possible moment with least attention, may be even during second wave of coronavirus.

Also big changes to developer teams coming. as iOS, iPad OS and MacOS will become essentially one OS, with each new year design will move more towards spacious tablet like design. Big part here is new generation of designers and developers who never saw good desktop dense designs.

• Also MacOS is now mostly iOS, as all core elements in new version are from iOS, despite lot of MacOS still remaining (mostly for compatibility reasons).

In next 2-3 years we'll see how old features and compact desktop and mouse oriented design will be flushed out.

• Tragedy of Apple

Apple released developers machine as Mac Mini and with very underpowered A12Z chip (that is just modification of previous A12X and it is made for iPad Pro, beign fully unsuitable for netbooks even).

This was not original plan, but their idea is to hide real performance trying to use holidays mess and controlled reviewers to not allow comparing notebooks to new 8 core AMD chips.

Rumors in the industry are that Apple investors even paid for AMD keeping their notebook 4000 line GPU underpowered to keep Apple above water.

• Apple’s transition to a fully ARM-based lineup will take 12 to 18 months. The analyst expects the new ARM machines to outperform their Intel predecessors by 50 to 100 percent, though the actual performance will of course depend on what Apple decides to prioritize with the new designs.

Well, Apple are masters of proper charts and presentations.

• Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a generally good track record of supply chain-based predictions, claims in an investor note that the first ARM-based Macs will be a new version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro and a 24-inch version of a previously rumored iMac redesign. He goes so far as to suggest these Macs will show up in the fall.

• My source at Apple told that it is big tensions among Mac hardware team.

Almost all top management and some lead hardware guys support propriatary ARM and total system lockdown.

Most people below and few managers support move to AMD CPUs and APUs, including both desktop and notebook lines.

Apple has growing hardware group who already made multiple notebook prototypes using 8 core CPUs and also prorotypes of 12-16 core mobile CPUs (will be available next year). And Apple ARM chips can't compete even with weakest of the chips. Especially bad situation is with prolonged hard work like rendering, cache performance, storage performance and cooling overall.

In the end of this year we'll have

• iPhone OS
    • iPad OS
    • Mac OS

All based on the same kernel and most libraries will match. But it'll be also differencies.

As I told, Apple wants to prohibit installing third party apps you can get outside their store on Mac OS.

sa13430.jpg
    654 x 409 - 19K
  • Present sales not so good

sa12984.jpg
    649 x 808 - 98K
  • ...it's rumored to be fast. The software will be superior, if it's universal. For music, nothing compares to logic. If it's cheaper and powerful, apple could win. Although past experience tells me don't buy the 1st generation, it will be tempting....seeing I need a new mac and laptops are the choice for taxes in Mexico. But the last time they did this, it left a really bad taste, not only for ppc owners, but for those initially buying into the intel system as well.

• Our knowledgeable contacts have confirmed the MacBook 2021 will use a 5nm variation of A14X chip for iPad.

Kalamata might be the codename, and the fact that Apple is using Big Little approach with eight high performance cores codenamed Firestorm, and four energy-efficient Icestorm cores is hardly a surprise.

• My english is not good. Sorry.

I learned this things at university. You need to understand that a word have a definition and sometime some other significations when you read between lines. Progress have a deep impact on our lives. Progress is not a panacea.

yes me too, I asked you a specific question.

• @flash

I asked you specific question.

Progress is not about making new problems, it is about solving existing ones. I can much better explain you how software development works and new problems and bugs process in this area iarescientifically researched.

On this note - check topic title and stop offtopic posts here.

• It’s not because you don’t understand that it doesn’t make sense.

Give me one viable system (health, agriculture, education, politics, economics, energy, military, technology ...). I’d be happy to answer you that as soon as you create a tool, you solve a problem and you create others that will not be long in coming. This is called progress.

Go ahead, experience it, quote me a system and I will explain some of its problems caused by its tools.

• @flash

The hammer and the nail gave way to the screwdrivers and the screws which itself gave way to the composite materials

Where you got all this nonsense?

• Man has always known how to develop his tools, he is even very good at it. But he rarely does something good with it. At the end it always ends up creating a system that bites its tail. Progress is a system that always requires more to stand up. It's a vicious circle. The hammer and the nail gave way to the screwdrivers and the screws which itself gave way to the composite materials. What do you win? Solidity for more pollution. Progress is a system and all systems end badly. You know that I know it.

• @flash

Thansk for smart suggestions.

• No really, don’t buy hammer too

• @flash

Don’t buy Apple.

It is nice libertarian mantra. Don' work in the age of monopolies and imperialism.

As it is like advice to carpenter not to buy hammers, and instead use his head for same job.

• Don’t buy Apple.

• Around 70% of smaller independent companies who made apps for Mac won't make it due to extreme pressure of epidemic and Apple "help" with movement to ARM.

As I told Apple will also extremely harden application dstribution my making it same as iOS.

Also lot of new chips advanced features will be secret and avaible under NDA only to Apple itself and big guys.

It is big part of Apple transition as they plan to take at least 50% of all sales of small developerd by shutting them down.

• Apple Inc. is planning to start selling Mac computers with its own main processors by next year, relying on designs that helped popularize the iPhone and iPad, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Cupertino, California-based technology giant is working on three of its own Mac processors, known as systems-on-a-chip, based on the A14 processor in the next iPhone. The first of these will be much faster than the processors in the iPhone and iPad, the people said.

Apple is preparing to release at least one Mac with its own chip next year, according to the people. But the initiative to develop multiple chips, codenamed Kalamata, suggests the company will transition more of its Mac lineup away from current supplier Intel Corp.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Apple’s partner for iPhone and iPad processors, will build the new Mac chips, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private product plans. The components will be based on a 5-nanometer production technique

The first Mac processors will have eight high-performance cores, codenamed Firestorm, and at least four energy-efficient cores, known internally as Icestorm. Apple is exploring Mac processors with more than 12 cores for further in the future, the people said.

First custom Mac chips won’t be able to rival the performance Intel provides for high-end MacBook Pros, iMacs and the Mac Pro desktop computer.

Apple’s Mac processors will include several components, including the main processor, known as a Central Processing Unit or CPU, and the GPU, the graphics chip.

The Kalamata project has been going for several years. In 2018, Apple developed a Mac chip based on the iPad Pro’s A12X processor for internal testing. That gave the company’s engineers confidence they could begin replacing Intel in Macs as early as 2020

Apple has already started designing a second generation of Mac processors that follows the architecture of chips planned for the 2021 iPhone. That indicates Apple wants to put its Macs, iPhones and iPads on the same processor development cycle.

Macs will still run the macOS operating system, rather than the iOS software of the iPhone and iPad. Apple is exploring tools that will ensure apps developed for older Intel-based Macs still work on the new machines. The company also has technology called Catalyst that lets software developers build an iPad app and run it on Mac computers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/apple-aims-to-sell-macs-with-its-own-chips-starting-in-2021

Only one thing I do not agree is how muhc MacOS will change (actually it will be iOS but with different interface part).