Personal View site logo
Apple making their own swamp with new MacOS
  • Apple’s newest OS drops support for 32-bit applications, which will unnecessarily render a huge library of software and games unusable on Mac

It is no surprise as it is major request by top software corporations. Plus it is just cheaper for Apple, as you can fire expensive old and relocate newbie developers.

Apple will require developers to register, pay an annual fee, and notarize every build they want to distribute

Same thing, as Apple plans to move into iOS aka iPad OS aka new MacOS X NextGen, they want to keep it all same as iOS.

And note - demand for their cut from each of your sales will come next! Soon!

We will have two major steps in coming 2020 and 2021 with Apple fully securing their Mac hardware both via special chips and codes and by destroying many independent repairs legally (next prices hike will follow this!).

And after this we will see next big move into proprietary ARM cores, where Air lineup will lead the sales. Rumors in the industry are that marketing funds that Apple will throw into this must be staggering and can reach tens of billions of dollars in 1-2 years.

• 83 Replies sorted by
  • Richard thinks Apple (AAPL) could switch to an internally designed PC processor for notebooks in the second half.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/intel-stock-has-rocketed-heres-why-it-might-be-time-to-sell-51580149283

Rumors start to spread that Apple is being ripped apart, as engineers demand move to Ryzen mobile chips (Apple has special group working on this), and all top managers and old guys insist on keeping original plan moving to proprietary ARM (that is consumer oriented can't compete with Ryzens). Going the way of their own CPU allows Apple to get $200-300 more from each notebook as mobile chips are extremely profitable for both Intel and AMD.

• Rumors of an ARM-based Mac or MacBook have surfaced in a while, with the general theme of Apple moving away from its reliance on Intel Core processors in favor of its own silicon. According to TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo, this could happen sooner than people may think.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Kuo forecasts that Apple will be using a 5-nanometer process at the core of its new products 12 to 18 months' time. As part of this, Kuo believes there will be a "new 1H21 Mac equipped with the own-design processor."

Intel is done.

• Small addition from my own source.

New MacOS aka "iOS notebook edition" will fully shut down 3rd party application install outside the Apple app store. So notebooks will match their smartphones and tablets.

Also, my source told that all major chips will be even better protected and will have flashed unique crypto identifiers so you won't be able to repair anything or replace any big chip.

Screen, battery and other parts will be also crypto protected and replicable only in authorized center.

New Apple notebooks design are made to specially fully prevent any replacements or repair.

• Looks like I am stuck with my current model until I die then...

• @rockroadpix

Well, we just need smart guys to do next FCP X :-)

All else is not so valuable.

Plus for now Hackintoshes are still options.

• Well, that is true. I'm an old idiot - too locked in to the UI.

• New update - present rumors that we'll see 1-2 models in 2020 already.

I think this exact leak is a bluff from Apple side, as situation with smartphone and tablets is very bad.

• According to a new research note from analyst Ming-chi Kuo, Apple is planning to release “several” ARM-based Macs in 2021 in both laptop and desktop form factors.

Kuo believes that switching to ARM will allow Apple to reduce its processor costs by 40 to 60 percent while gaining more flexibility over its hardware lineup.

• Apple Inc. is planning to start selling Mac computers with its own main processors by next year, relying on designs that helped popularize the iPhone and iPad, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Cupertino, California-based technology giant is working on three of its own Mac processors, known as systems-on-a-chip, based on the A14 processor in the next iPhone. The first of these will be much faster than the processors in the iPhone and iPad, the people said.

Apple is preparing to release at least one Mac with its own chip next year, according to the people. But the initiative to develop multiple chips, codenamed Kalamata, suggests the company will transition more of its Mac lineup away from current supplier Intel Corp.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Apple’s partner for iPhone and iPad processors, will build the new Mac chips, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private product plans. The components will be based on a 5-nanometer production technique

The first Mac processors will have eight high-performance cores, codenamed Firestorm, and at least four energy-efficient cores, known internally as Icestorm. Apple is exploring Mac processors with more than 12 cores for further in the future, the people said.

First custom Mac chips won’t be able to rival the performance Intel provides for high-end MacBook Pros, iMacs and the Mac Pro desktop computer.

Apple’s Mac processors will include several components, including the main processor, known as a Central Processing Unit or CPU, and the GPU, the graphics chip.

The Kalamata project has been going for several years. In 2018, Apple developed a Mac chip based on the iPad Pro’s A12X processor for internal testing. That gave the company’s engineers confidence they could begin replacing Intel in Macs as early as 2020

Apple has already started designing a second generation of Mac processors that follows the architecture of chips planned for the 2021 iPhone. That indicates Apple wants to put its Macs, iPhones and iPads on the same processor development cycle.

Macs will still run the macOS operating system, rather than the iOS software of the iPhone and iPad. Apple is exploring tools that will ensure apps developed for older Intel-based Macs still work on the new machines. The company also has technology called Catalyst that lets software developers build an iPad app and run it on Mac computers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-23/apple-aims-to-sell-macs-with-its-own-chips-starting-in-2021

Only one thing I do not agree is how muhc MacOS will change (actually it will be iOS but with different interface part).

• Around 70% of smaller independent companies who made apps for Mac won't make it due to extreme pressure of epidemic and Apple "help" with movement to ARM.

As I told Apple will also extremely harden application dstribution my making it same as iOS.

Also lot of new chips advanced features will be secret and avaible under NDA only to Apple itself and big guys.

It is big part of Apple transition as they plan to take at least 50% of all sales of small developerd by shutting them down.

• Don’t buy Apple.

• @flash

Don’t buy Apple.

It is nice libertarian mantra. Don' work in the age of monopolies and imperialism.

As it is like advice to carpenter not to buy hammers, and instead use his head for same job.

• No really, don’t buy hammer too

• @flash

Thansk for smart suggestions.

• Man has always known how to develop his tools, he is even very good at it. But he rarely does something good with it. At the end it always ends up creating a system that bites its tail. Progress is a system that always requires more to stand up. It's a vicious circle. The hammer and the nail gave way to the screwdrivers and the screws which itself gave way to the composite materials. What do you win? Solidity for more pollution. Progress is a system and all systems end badly. You know that I know it.

• @flash

The hammer and the nail gave way to the screwdrivers and the screws which itself gave way to the composite materials

Where you got all this nonsense?

• It’s not because you don’t understand that it doesn’t make sense.

Give me one viable system (health, agriculture, education, politics, economics, energy, military, technology ...). I’d be happy to answer you that as soon as you create a tool, you solve a problem and you create others that will not be long in coming. This is called progress.

Go ahead, experience it, quote me a system and I will explain some of its problems caused by its tools.

• @flash

I asked you specific question.

Progress is not about making new problems, it is about solving existing ones. I can much better explain you how software development works and new problems and bugs process in this area iarescientifically researched.

On this note - check topic title and stop offtopic posts here.

• My english is not good. Sorry.

I learned this things at university. You need to understand that a word have a definition and sometime some other significations when you read between lines. Progress have a deep impact on our lives. Progress is not a panacea.

yes me too, I asked you a specific question.

• Our knowledgeable contacts have confirmed the MacBook 2021 will use a 5nm variation of A14X chip for iPad.

Kalamata might be the codename, and the fact that Apple is using Big Little approach with eight high performance cores codenamed Firestorm, and four energy-efficient Icestorm cores is hardly a surprise.

• ...it's rumored to be fast. The software will be superior, if it's universal. For music, nothing compares to logic. If it's cheaper and powerful, apple could win. Although past experience tells me don't buy the 1st generation, it will be tempting....seeing I need a new mac and laptops are the choice for taxes in Mexico. But the last time they did this, it left a really bad taste, not only for ppc owners, but for those initially buying into the intel system as well.

• Present sales not so good

sa12984.jpg
    649 x 808 - 98K

In the end of this year we'll have

• iPhone OS
    • iPad OS
    • Mac OS

All based on the same kernel and most libraries will match. But it'll be also differencies.

As I told, Apple wants to prohibit installing third party apps you can get outside their store on Mac OS.

sa13430.jpg
    654 x 409 - 19K
  • My source at Apple told that it is big tensions among Mac hardware team.

Almost all top management and some lead hardware guys support propriatary ARM and total system lockdown.

Most people below and few managers support move to AMD CPUs and APUs, including both desktop and notebook lines.

Apple has growing hardware group who already made multiple notebook prototypes using 8 core CPUs and also prorotypes of 12-16 core mobile CPUs (will be available next year). And Apple ARM chips can't compete even with weakest of the chips. Especially bad situation is with prolonged hard work like rendering, cache performance, storage performance and cooling overall.