Panasonic FZ1000 1", 4K video, superzoom, official topic
  • 297 Replies sorted by
  • &

Still0216_00004.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 232K
    Still0216_00005.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 190K
  • Capture video -FHD y 4K-25p

• nice comparison - gh2 fhd holds up well but downsampling 4k has obvious benefits

• @kurth,thanks for the comment!...yes,I am of the same opinion

• New firmware released Feb.17, 2015

Ver. 2.1

1. Playback performance of recorded 4K video is improved.

2. [Time Lapse Shot] Program is fixed to start recording at the designated time even when [Daylight Savings] is set.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/FZ1000/index.html

• Can't we have sort-of bitrate hack for FZ1000? It would really need it in 1080p50....

• Hello,this is a small test with the new version ( 2.1),I have used the full manual focus,setting cine D 0-0-0+1,

• @Grunf

Can't we have sort-of bitrate hack for FZ1000? It would really need it in 1080p50....

hey when you get that finished...let us know...ok !

• ... but so far to enjoy 4K,this camera it can

• Honestly, I have personally seen no one on YouTube using the settings correctly on this camera to get the best image quality. Seriously. Looks like I need to make a guide..... People think the 120FPS isnt good on this camera due to aliasing but I can show you how to maximize quality and compete with the GH4 from this camera. My standpoint isn't bias because I have both cameras and have had both since they came out. I have enough hours into the FZ1000 to teach a whole class on it. I can say I am an expert of the FZ1000. My results after tweaking have been excellent and resulted in me switching to using the FZ1000 in manual mode over the GH4 in nearly every situation. Just to show you my team isn't BSing about GH4, here is a short film we shot with it on our channel SOULSpot for our new show The Mind Unleashed:

I need to write a guide to maximize the dynamic range of the FZ1000, get the best results for editing, and making the aliasing of the 120FPS mode seem nearly non existent so you can use it as viable B roll for high end production. I'll convert someone out there to the FZ1000 religion, I'm sure of it. ;)

QUICK TIP before I get started on the new thread: Never use more than -4 sharpness (-5 is recommended). EVER. I don't care your reason. Don't do it. Even 0 sharpness is sharpened and you have Panasonic's marketing team to thank for that. (Which is why no one seems to be getting the results in quality that the demo shows). The point is to get sold on a camera with commercials that promise great quality to only find out that professional results still take a professional eye with professional settings. Which will make you want to buy the next best thing, still.

My Rant List for the Misguided: (I've read alot of comments so this is long)

For those of you who think you cant get a shallow DOF on this, you are misguided.

If you think you cant get awesome dynamic range that can cut together with high end cinema cameras, you are misguided.

If you think that a zoom lens wouldn't be sharp enough for your videos, in most cases you'd be right but in this case of the Leica, you are misguided.

If you dont think time lapses would be worth a damn out of a camera that's not a DSLR, you are misguided.

If you actually think the 120FPS videos you see on YouTube are an actual representation of what this cameras max slow motion quality looks like, you are misguided.

If you think shooting in any profile other than Cinelike D on this camera is going to get you professional video results, you are misguided. If due to the video reviews you've seen, you forgot it even had Cinelike D, I'm sorry.

This is my first review of any product online and I'm happy to say I'm out of the closet. I feel this product will go down in history as the best underrated camera of the 21st century.

REMEMBER: Everyone has their own needs for a camera. Some need built-in ND because they like convenience. Some people need SDI out in the studio, Some need interchangeable lenses because of their selection of glass and the equipment they use it with. Some people need a gopro.

This camera has its flaws which I am extremely familiar with but for the price I'd rather grab 2 of these over 1 GH4. In my industry time is money and producing professional quality video in a short amount of time is important. I dont know any camera that has allowed me to worry less about buying more stuff (which is typically endless) and more about focusing on my work other than the FZ1000.

For those of you who want to align with one of the best low budget indie A roll cameras ( Also one of the best B roll cameras for low-mid range budget professional shooting ), I nominate the FZ1000.

I'd love to hear other people's take on this! I will write that other thread when I have time to upload some of my 4k footage and slowmo footage.

• ...all that and the only recommendation is dial down sharpness ? We'll be waiting for those other settings when you get a chance....but cut to the chase, pleeezz.

• There is alot to write about so what specifically would you like me to "cut to the chase" about for you? If you just want settings for the best cinematic picture to work with:

Here are the SOULSpot settings

Cinelike D:

Contrast: -5

Sharpness: -5 (Max set to 4)

Noise reduction: 0 (up to +2 depending on your tastes, due to the current software I dont recommend lower than 0)

Saturation: 0 (Another space for taste but 0 is recommended)

@kurth: It takes inner passion about a subject to want to write a guide about it. I'd like people to express an interest and make suggestions before I go into spending 9+ hours of my time creating a mini guide about using the FZ1000 for professional use. There are reasons for everything, reasons I have researched and spent time pixel peeping and studying to figure out and I like to have time to explain why. Thanks for understanding.

Im just trying to get this camera a little attention. I love it actually. Would likely marry it. potentially.

• Christaylor425 Do you have some good footage of your work from the camera? Is somewhat hard to find pro footage made with it (especially in low light).

• You could have just written out the basics of a shooting guide for the camera in less space than those two posts.

• @MarcioK Yes, I have quite a bit. I'll have to upload some of it unlisted for you guys. My goal was to mix it in with the review / guide I want to make for this camera. Finding pro footage was a serious let down for me with this camera but its not that people didnt make good clips, its that it didnt have that film look that makes someone like me just want to go buy a camera. Luckily I bought this camera on accident and after dismissing it for a while decided to give it a serious look. It all comes down to settings and grading really.

Are you ok with YouTube uploads because thats all I do?

@aldolega It was more of a rant than anything.. Thank you for mentioning some seriously obvious points though, but I dont like basic stuff. Not everyone wants to "blow their load" early. I have OCD and i try to do something to 100% if I can. Its my key to professionalism in general.

• @Christaylor425..thanks. Most of us understand well this sort of shorthand, esp since it's related to most pany cameras. I'll double MarcioK's request. Show us some of your meat and potatoes so we can confer. I don't own one yet, but it's at the top of the list, and I agree, it's the coolest camera to date, imho. My only complaint is it doesn't have higher bitrate 1080.

• In fact, I'm interested because I will be in NY in April and buy a 4k camera - and need to decide between the FZ1000, the LX100 or the Samsung NX500.

(in my country these cameras do not exist, and the import price is about 2,5x the USA value...)

• @Christaylor425 Youtube is ok for me, it is enough to have an idea (albeit Vimeo is better :) ). Maybe if someone would like to see some original footage you can provide a little segment footage from the camera in a sharing site.

• @MarcioK Yea, I can host the raw file on my web server. It would be faster that way anyways.

BTW NX500 vs FZ1000 is going to be a tough call. Hope you know your budget very well because that will show you more what you can have at what price point in total gear purchased.

@Kurth I feel you homie. If you have any suggestions of what types of footage you would want to see showcased, let me know and I'll collect that from my hard drives. I'll do the write up and video when I get a chance this week.

• Yes,I like this discussion!..I have this camera and am happy with it.thrill to work with her is like my old love GH2.there are many truths in the words of @ Christaylor425,..and now comes to the idea of a new topic ( FZ 1000 settings )..many things can be removed from this jewel .slow motion e stumbling block, perhaps in time for their quality,but I think that the positive qualities are much, much more. thank you !

• password: cortofz1000

Photographed in 1080p ,camera FZ1000 & GH2

• This is a really useful camera. What would be a nice touch from Panasonic, would be if they included the 1:2.35 ratio to the 4k photomode in a firmware update.

• I recently bought the fz1000 last month and its a great camera for the money, really do love it. One area I am struggling with is low light videos, especially indoors where footage quite often can look noisy on plain surfaces or seeing out of the of the rooms door into a dark hallway for example (even at low ISO). Lightning isn't dark, nor is it bright, I suppose a cosy atmosphere is the best way to describe it. I know the camera can do nice footage at night (another reason I bought it) by seeing other videos such as this

but I just can't find the right settings to use :-( and some sort of guide or article on good all-round settings for this camera wold be more than welcomed. I am not the most experienced photographer, but slowly getting there with peoples help and advice :-) so a hi to everyone here o/

• Rich, check your iDynamic setting. If turned on it will jack up the brightness and noise in dark areas. I was not aware until recently that it affected video too - I was trying to shoot some video of the moon and kept seeing noise speckles on dark sky regardless of ISO setting.

• @RichB4 I have the same experience with GH4. Lovely with crushed black night time and nice bright lights but hopelessly noisy in murky light.