Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • Some of the Devs at Magic Lantern are discussing the ability to write DNG directly from the LiveView Framebuffer, and it seems its in an alpha stage right now...not up to 24 fps, and not for a long duration...

Could be interesting if nothing else, just the fact that they can make it write DNGs is a pretty crazy start.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.0

Recommended 1000x cards

Other cards

• 547 Replies sorted by
  • Canon 5D MkIII 4k video, by Magic Lantern! I just found this over on Andrew Reid's site. Initially thought it might be an April fool's joke - but apparently not. The images from the camera look amazing (my non-technical evaluation!).

http://www.eoshd.com/2017/04/super-35mm-4k-comes-canon-5d-mark-iii-new-magic-lantern-module-real/

The Canon 5D Mark III will now record 4K, raw thanks to A1ex and his team at ML. The resolutions available are: 1920×960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame – 3×3 pixel binning) 1920×800 @ 60p (same as above) 1920×1080 @ 45p and 48p (3×3 binning) 1920×1920 @ 24p (1:1 square crop) 3072×1920 @ 24p (1:1 crop) 3840×1600 @ 24p (1:1 crop) 4096×2560 @ 12.5p (1:1 crop) 4096×1440 @ 25p (1:1 crop)

Limitations currently exist, of course (no sound is recorded and B/W display) but recording time seems very useful (no limits quoted, if they exist.)

• Am considering butchering a 50D in order to fit s16 lenses. I have only one that fits with an unmodified mirrorbox. Barring that, any recommendations as to a kind of tape to hold the mirror up without leaving residue?

• The guide is for 2.3 and it mentions a beep choice in the movie menu, but my menu (nightly build current) does not show this option. I can clap hands, but its way more efficient to get the beep in the beginning.

• @zcream I've never had beeps on any of the builds that I tested

• Did anyone manage to get a start stop beep sound using ML on 50d ? The option is simply not available on the latest builds.

• Canon 50d

• Thanks - we'll probably just release it for free after the festival run is over. In case anyone is interested, this is a glimpse at present day Rwanda through a portrait of a man. It's a 79 minute documentary filmed over a week on the Canon 5D Mark III using ML Magic Lantern Raw for every shot and a single lens, the Canon 35mm F2 EF USM with image stabilisation. Password: alice

• @lic4 Film looks great - story seems interesting too. Please let us know where/when the whole film can be watched. Congratulations on this film.

• @lic4

Next time just use video URL (as I changed your post already).

• In January 2014, I shot a feature length documentary using the 5DM3 with Magic Lantern Raw and screened it at three film festivals on a Blu Ray DVD.

I was excited while editing and color correcting because the image and color looked rich to me on my station, but on the big screen, the resolution seemed to be lacking and there was some digital noise that is hard to explain. Color was a little washed out, but this may have been due to the Blu Ray format.

Scenes filmed with ISO 400 or under held up much better, but I didn't like any of the shots I had over that ISO. Other people at the screening didn't seem to mind the image, but I decided I wouldn't use this camera for any future work that might be screened at theaters (unless the shots are mixed in with other footage from a better camera system).

I may have expected better because I have also screened Blu Ray DVDs on the big screen with work shot on the Arri Alexa (shooting 1920x1080 Prores 4:4:4) and 35mm. The great difference between this camera and the Alexa made me realize why it is still worth it to rent the Alexa for productions destined for festival or theatrical play.

Also, anything I've seen on the Red Scarlet projected on a big screen has looked much better than 5DM3 raw. On computer screens, the Canon image is very lovely, and I do not plan to sell the camera. It's a great pocket knife of a camera - great for many, many uses.

• i have a red scarlet ..should I sell it??

• for the big screen how does the 5dm3 hold up?

• @ttancredi For 7D Raw you should go to: https://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ select 7D and download. You should also be running on Firmware 2.0.3 . All you have to do is format your CF card in camera than place the content from download on the CF card put it back it the camera, run Firmware update feature from camera than magic lantern will be installed. As far as enable RAW, or MLV there are plenty of videos on youtube for that they are all pretty much the same throughout all the cameras. Warning make sure you have a fully charge battery

• anyone using the 7d raw? my gh2 was stollen :(.... borrowing a 7d from my brother while waiting for the a6100.. almost bought a g7 but wanted something better on the stills side.

• @ghostlayer Wow Great job on the video amazing footage can't really tell the difference, love the color grade as well. Thanks for the screen shots..

• @TrackZillas Here's the full music video 5D was used only on a few B cam shots I even add some 2 shots from my smartphone in music video Sony Z2)

• @TrackZillas Heres some stills (20% of the shots are 5D Raw) https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5hktB8 I think there's even a H264 shot !

• @ghostlayer Are you serious you can't tell the difference WOW!!! that right there tells you how capable of a camera the 5D Mark III with the RAW Hack is. Would it be possible to send me a frame capture from the two cameras so I can do my own scientific test.. Yeah you right the process is really a pain but it's worth it, Love being able to shoot 48fps, 50fps, 60fps RAW & to tell you the truth it looks a lot more filmic than the regular 1080p mode. I had a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera for me it was difficult to get real punchy colors, only in RAW mode you can push it, but still doesn't get as punchy as the 5D III.

• @TrackZillas I know, I showed shots I did using 5D MKIII + ML intercut with RED DRAGON to a producer who had doubts, he was speechless and unable to tell which shot were shot on 5D... I just love the quality brought on this camera. Yet I have to confess that the process is really a pain in the ass, it's really time consuming to convert .raw to DNG then DNG to ProRes for Editing... I wish I had camera that records Prores HQ like Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. It would be so convenient. On the other hand nice Lumix GH4 and other still records source footage in final diffusion codec (.mp4, AVHD) it's so stupid.

• @Aria Yep your right the 50D definitely has it's issues, but for anyone who wants to shoot RAW on a Cheap budget it's the camera for them.

• @ghostlayer Yeah it definitely was your Komputerbay card. Production, Rental companies have deep relationship with the camera manufactures they won't support anything that's not supported by them. 5D III RAW to me is the best bang for your buck, your right Wide Dynamic Range & 14 bits Color Depth what more can we ask.

• The 50D has image issues that can creep up on you. That's why I moved on and saved up for the LUMIX G7! Just less hassle and more reliable. To fully commit to 50D I would need to spend on faster CF Cards and the Mosaic Anti Alias Filter. Just didn't make sense given the reliability still wouldn't be high. With a G7 you pay a little more for the body but get so much more functionality and image quality. Heck I paid just $38 for a 128GB SD for the G7!!!

Plus now I can experiment with my Anamorphic lens more freely on the G7. The 50D was also good with Anamorphic but the issues make it less fun. Maybe I'll do a comparison test when I get a chance.

• @TrackZillas I used an old firmware 1.23 in my memory (might be wrong) on 5D MK3 Komputerbay became unstable (stoping after ONE SECOND of recording !) Using LEXAR solved the problem. Yet, again, production companies and rental companies don't want to hear about Magic Lantern. I love it as it bring insane dynamic range and image depht (14 bits Raw DNG) Especially for keying green screen etc.