Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • i guess he was disappointed that eoshd beat him to the scoop

• Maybe he just doesn't care because he has better things to do.

• No, I just know his Canon boy toy. And his afraid Canon will slap his hand if he embrace this.

• I see. You know this for a fact? It's all a conspiracy because he is afraid of Canon and is cowering in a corner somewhere?

• I had a chat with Philip about it the other day. He doesn't sound too keen on the workflow headache which is perfectly understandable, I'm not too keen on it either. It's got nothing to do with being a boy toy lol. He does have some nice toys though.

• Why does anyone even give a shit about Philip Bloom? Do you really need his or anyone else's approval?

• If you guy's haven't seen this video yet check it out.. Raw footage from 5D Mark II it looks soo filmic to my eye & I would have to say rivals the 5D Mark III. When played at 480p the resolution it on par with other 1080p video's amazing. This is what he had to say about his experience with the 5Dmrk II "Now there is a limit of 4GB (ML Team solve it another time), i can record about 1 minute at 1880x720. 16gb about 4/5 minutes"

• If you guy's haven't seen this video yet check it out.. Raw footage from 5D Mark II it looks soo filmic to my eye & I would have to say rivals the 5D Mark III. When played at 480p the resolution it on par with other 1080p video's amazing. This is what he had to say about his experience with the 5Dmrk II "Now there is a limit of 4GB (ML Team solve it another time), i can record about 1 minute at 1880x720. 16gb about 4/5 minutes"

• @TrackZillas Looks good! I might pick up a Used 5D2 to supplement my BMCC. I will use the BMCC for my main camera and use the BMPCC and maybe a 5D2 for those shots I can't get with the BMCC. The best part is you can have all 3 RAW camera's for under $6000 USD not including media. Exciting times we live in.

• I like the look of the 5D Mark II Raw over the 5D Mark III's that's just me, let me know what are guy's think..

• @Brian202020 that's what I said to.. the 5D Mark II Raw is more appealing than the 5D Mark III to me, it gives me a more filmic image and forget about resolution it seems to be pushing more Res.. It would complement my my BMPCC real good, exciting times right about that. Check out the other video I just posted amazing stuff.

• What is really extraordinary is to think that this was working in this camera 5 years ago. I don't know how to resume my feeling. Think about all the caveat people had to endure from moire/aliasing barely 720p resolution 8bit low bitrate codec. While this capability was working quietly under the hood. I don't say that raw was practical in those days with CF card speed and cost. But they could easily have given a true 1080 Hd resolution, moire and aliasing free image. What is more comical is that some people are still believing that Canon is behind the RAW hack.

• I also forgot the 24p firmware udtade that took month if not a year to materialise!!!

• What is more comical is that some people are still believing that Canon is behind the RAW hack.

Yep :-) Some think so. If you put all the timing of ML big progress periods you'll realise that they have some logic in their mind.

• the 5D Mark II Raw is more appealing than the 5D Mark III to me, it gives me a more filmic image and forget about resolution it seems to be pushing more Res.. It would complement my my BMPCC real good, exciting times right about that. Check out the other video I just posted amazing stuff.

Keep in mind you will have to de-moire the 5D MarkII footage where you wouldn't with the MarkIII. The ML folks don't know how the buffer is being derived, in terms of down-sampling scheme from the sensor (or didn't the other day) or why the mkIII grab is smooth and looks antialiased compared to the mkII grab.

They get this thing to where it's practical and workable I too would be more interested in the MKII implementation because the secret sauce in that camera is more pleasing to me as well (similarly, I'd never move to a GH3 from a GH2).

• @BurnetRhoades nicely said the 5D Mark II got that secret sauce, so does the GH2 mines is still rockin.. There are work arounds for the aliasing a little bit more work, but the final result guaranteed will be more filmic than the 5Dmark III

• I'm thinking along the same lines with the MKII, but I'm having a hard time finding a step by step for hacking it on the Mac the way there is for the MKIII. Any ideas? I've got ML installed already, the old one. I'll do this new one if someone can walk me through it and post some tests.

• Yes, I could use a 5Dmk2 cheat sheet as well if anyone has one, now that the weekend's here and I've got some free time to mess with it.

• If Canon is behind the scenes leading ML development, that's the smartest thing they've done in years. I've not wanted to buy anything Canon after the recent camera announcements and prices, but now the idea of a refurbished MKII is very appealing.

@Oedipax if you can test if it can do 4:3 ratio to see if you can do 2x anamorphic lenses that would be awesome of you. I haven't seen that yet, especially on the MKII. I believe 1440 x 1080 is the proper "Full HD" size, but I don't know the math on smaller sizes. I know if the numbers were off on the GH1 it wouldn't record at all in MJPEG. It had to be so many wide by high divisible by....something, again not sure what.

• ...anyone seen this ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SFBc7i1Q_0w#!

....looks like the gh2 still wins !

• Yes, the ML hack finally gets 5D (of any generation) footage up to hacked GH2 levels of sharpness ;)

• One word: latitude. It doesn't just have to be about peeping pixels.

• The 4Gb recording barrier has been broken but we can't open anything bigger than 2Gb on a mac or 4Gb pc yet.

• GH2 lol, looks nothing like the MK3 RAW. 8 stops of DR vs 12.5 and harsh haloed unnatural detail, night and day.