Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • If it does Canon has ALOT of explaining to do to loyal owners about crippling cameras to protect their market prices.

Here we go again :-)

• @fatpig I base it on first hand knowledge. I'm gonna do some proxy tests today and see how H.264 proxy recording affects the RAW write speed. Given that there's no RAW playback it will be a pretty important feature.

The camera doesn't appear to be getting any warmer than writing H.264, if anything it seems a bit cooler overall. This RAW 24p sensor data was always there, ML have just figured out how to tap into it and record it. The cards will probably get warmer but the newer ones are designed to write continuous 65MB/s+.

• This may be a simple question, but can you view what you are recording?

• It's good to see some decent video footage out of the Canons for a change, it's like puting your glasses on.

They seem to have caught the 'lets film some trees' bug ;)

• still, the line skipping downscale algorithm (or whatever they use on the 5DIII) leads to weird artifacts/edge moiré, which would not be present on a BMCC, i hope.

it is even more apparent in Video mode. I got this from the DNGs the uploader put up along with the "SMITH ROCK" Video.

b.jpg
    300 x 125 - 5K
    Comp.avi_snapshot_00.03_[2013.05.15_11.22.47].png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • cheap music and dirty dishes.. mmm yummy :-P

well, ok the moire can be reduced with this filter. is it like an OLPF?

I just calculated, when 1880x1080 is possible on the 5dII- then, judging by the megapixels- a stunning 2114x960 should also be possible - which is almost 2,35:1 :)

• @B3Guy Yeah you can see the liveview when you're recording and you can set picture profiles like normal (picture profiles don't affect RAW files) You can't yet see the liveview from the RAW recording menu before you hit record but I imagine this is just something that hasn't been implemented yet, new features are being added every day and there's a lot of work still to be done.

The VAF filter acts like an OLPF, you only need it on the MK2, there's no aliasing on the MK3.

• @B3Guy +1 i want to know this too, can you use hdmi out to veiw what you are recording on an external moniter/evf while you use this method of recording?

also can anyone answer me as to how many mins of recording fit on say... this card?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-128GB-CompactFlash-Memory/dp/B0071LKBZK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1368612693&sr=8-5&keywords=lexar+1000x

128gb lexar 1000x cf card.... which costs a lot of money....

im kinda starting to think that for me , both black magic and this canon raw dng format isn't practical, i hope black magic manage to introduce a decent lossless compressed raw codec, something virtually lossless like red use, (i know they have said they would in the 4k BMPC and at some point in the BMPCC although this seems like a bit of a pipe dream atm.) but i want to see it come to all blackmagics with a more practical raw codec one that is possible to shoot a film on without costing the earth in cards, harddrives, and backup space! (which if this seems off topic is what i feel the shortcomings of this canon ML raw is....)

• You'll get almost 30min of 1080p on a 128Gb card. I figured to shoot my feature RAW I need 6x64Gb cards and 64 terabytes for 3 backups and proxies, that's for 50 shooting days. I'm shooting 2048x840 which is about 70MB/s.

I'll get back to you on the monitor/evf HDMI out.

• @squiq thats £1869 just in 3tb hard drives (i have no idea your storage plans im just saying the cheap way to do it) and £1680 in cf cards .... the storage you cant do much about you will need it whatever , but man that is some expensive card space!!! when it gives you 384gb total and comes to over 1.5k , where as one 512gb ssd runs you £280 or 3 x 250gbs gives you 750gb filming space for £480!

• Canon does not have any explaining to do. It is what it is, just business. The Magic Lantern team could also probably work some magic on Nikon's cameras if they put their time and resources into it. Never liked Canon's price gouging and still don't even if I decide to try out Canon again. This has nothing to do with what I still think of Canon.

• @jakepowell Compared to shooting 35mm it's dirt cheap, and recyclable.

• Its easy to hate Canon. I don't recall much hate towards Panasonic when the GH2 got hacked.

The footage is impressive, but I'm still in the wait and see phase. If anything, this development will push manufacturers to step their game up. That's good for everyone.

• I don't recall much hate towards Panasonic when the GH2 got hacked.

You have short memory :-)

• Go over to the Prolost blog - lots of GH hack hate there

I don't hate any gear, nor do I feel the need to be evangelical over my 'preferences' :)

• @squig - what was your longest record time?

• I brought my 5DIII to a big public celebration yesterday and shot a bunch of 1080p raw and had no overheating problems despite that it was over 90F. The footage looks technically great. My handheld camera work, not so much. :)

• I guess so, maybe I missed the Panasonic hate threads. The point is, creating a range of products from more capable hardware is not unique to Canon.

Could RAW video have been released as a stable feature with the heat issue? Thats something time will tell.

• It's good to see some decent video footage out of the Canons for a change, it's like puting your glasses on. They seem to have caught the 'lets film some trees' bug ;)

ja ja aj aja

I haven't go deep in reading, so probably is a stupid question, anyway is it possible instead of Raw, to externally record say 422 HQ proRES from HDMI output?

• This is the stuff DLSR 'cinematographer' bloggers dream of

• @rockroadpix It's around a minute ATM, there's a 4Gb limit but that can be disabled I'm told.

@maxr sure you can record externally with canons firmware and it's soft as shite.

• Its a side point and probably more relevant to the BMCC vs 5D RAW that's going on but one thing that's going through my mind I want to get off my chest. Seems like many people are running from the BM camp and sniffing around the 5D one. Firstly its a free world everyone in my opinion has the right to choose the best tool they can find. That said when are some people going to stand up and use their consumer right to vote and tell companies like Canon to (Sorry, we are adults and I don't use this language without purpose) FUCK OFF!!!!

My point is this BM seems to of bended over backward to make their products great and priced reasonably, of course they want to make a profit but they also seem passionate about putting great tools out there, almost I detect a pride in doing so. So my point is this why don't I ever see people make a choice of camera based on integrity to the camera world with a long term view of who they should support with their purchases? Now like I said, understand I am all for freedom. What I'm saying is long term who should we be backing? companies that have zero care for us and would sell us cameras for billions if they thought they could or companies like BM. In the long term people should think if we vote with integrity just slightly in the mix of our decision making we are taking back power. Its not about some kind of anti corporate war its about choosing financially which kind of companies we want to be making our cameras. Doesn't have to be one company either, but cut off those that clearly aren't going trying to supply us the tools we want.....and probably never will until a competitor forces them to.

If when people look at two cameras and they cant quite decide between the two, then hey would it be so hard or wrong to say well i'm going to buy this one cause I want to support them cause in the long term supporting those that aim to support me is selfishly even to me and my communities benefit. And like I said saying to those who don't care about us, which we know already to.....well you know the rest.

• As an Australian, it will feel good to buy Blackmagic products. :)