Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Raw video on Canon 5d Mark 3 and other cameras using liveview framebuffer
  • 547 Replies sorted by
  • Nope, I'm not going down the RAW road yet, 10bit ProRes is just fine :) I hope this speeds up my BMPCC preorder!

• still not MFT... So BMPCC will likely be the choice for me :)

• @ oscillian + 1

• @oscillian Right one.. The BMPCC will be a beast of a camera 13 Stops of Dynamic Range, ProRes 422 - 10bit & the option of shooting Raw all on SD cards finally sharpness is excellent, can't go wrong with that. I'm BMPCC all day, yep you right a lot of people going to cancel their orders that will speed things up big time. Lastly this will force Blackmagic to deliver on time this time around, or even move the release date up a little.

• @squig bear with my offensive ignorance, from your answer I grasp that the Dng workflow is something happening (and recordable) internally only... what I mean is: any chance of capturing (and encoding) a stream from the Raws with en external recorder via HDMI? has that anything to do with physical limitations, software, playback? thanks

• Nope HDMI won't work, it has been explored but there's some big hurdles figuring out the Canon code. Plus you'd need the support of one of the external recorder vendors to write code on their end.

• @squig

Something tells me that it'll work :-) As making this work opens good business opportunity to some companies. And Canon is also interested on making it work.

• I feel like some of the motion cadence in a few of these is weird. Could be shutter speed or dropped frames? But the DR, color, and detail can be very pretty.

From a business standpoint I believe Canon or a third party should offer a 1.8 inch SSD "recorder grip" or maybe someone can get gig-e recording over the wft-e7a file transfer grip.

• @bannedindv

That last video that @Vitaliy_Kiselev posted was shot in 24p and conformed to 25p. I agree that it looks kind of juddery.

• @ Vitaliy Yeah I'm sure Canon could make it work if they wanted it too.

• The last 2 videos show clearly that grading still does the trick. :) the former looks great, cinematic. the latter could just as well have been H264, the contrast is very hard.

Did anyone hear about 2.5K RAW on the 5D3? The Mark II seems to be limited to just under Full HD, also in my own tests I could not get above 1880x720.

• that '2.5k' crop is like a 2500x700 resolution crop; not a 4x3 or 16x9

• I just quickly threw together some rough 5D Mark III test footage that I shot at Minnesota's state capitol the other day during our celebration for the governor signing marriage equality into law. The footage is crude and handheld, but it was a pleasure to work with it - tons and tons of latitude.

• I feel like some of the motion cadence in a few of these is weird. Could be shutter speed or dropped frames?

There's been lots of discussion on the ML boards about dropped frames, card performance, file system, etc. It sounds like it's a lot of little issues to overcome. Enough so that file spanning isn't a priority right now.

• gh2 looks good but seem a little overexposed.

• Anyway, the last build is very stable, it even has sound (although you have to start the sound before recording -from the ml menu, and when starting the video there is beep that helps sync-. Also, the video is now triggered by the appropriate button, and lastly preview is getting there. The progress is just ridiculous and anyone nitpicking is just fooling himself, the ML team has surpassed themselves.

Good news.

• whats the situation on the mark 2? from a performance point of veiw does its line skipping inhibit its quality in comparison to the mark 3? from a budget perspective this is way more enticing than a mark 3 to me ....

• as soon as somebody makes a working CF-to-SSD hardware, the cat is out of the bag. Theoretically, UDMA-7 used on 5D III tops out at 167MB/s. If you could offload that to SSD, 1080p50 in 14-bit RAW (bayer data!) is possible.

Then you could make a workflow that de-bayers and converts 14-bit raw to, for example 10-bit ProRes (with dithering).

If that would happen, it would mean that you could use your 5D to shoot 160MB/sec worth of 14-bit RAW with S35 sensor size and great latitude = massacre for revenues for hi-end stuff.

• KomputerBay relabels cards made by other companies. Today the 64GB card is usuable but there is no guarantee that tomorrow they will relabel cards from the same manufacturer, or that the cards will be perfectly usable cards that failed to meet the original company's standards that are the labelled specs. This will be the difference between working and not working with the ML hack. It is a lottery every time you purchase relabeled cards.

• Why isn't Philip Bloom blogging about this?

• Why isn't Philip Bloom blogging about this?

You feel bad with Philip don't blog about certain things?

• Does not have any answer for the 8 bit $ 16K camera he has been evangelizing to us, the last two years.