Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What do we know about the novel coronavirus?
  • 3274 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy .... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3298919/ .... "From the available literature, I identified and analyzed 465 documented instances of this practice, performed over the course of the past 2 centuries. Most instances occurred in the United States. The peak of self-experimentation occurred in the first half of the 20th century. Eight deaths were recorded. A number of the investigators enjoyed successful careers, including the receipt of Nobel Prizes. Although self-experimentation by physicians and other biological scientists appears to be in decline, the courage of those involved and the benefits to society cannot be denied."

• @kurth

And? I told you that article is good and smart.

• Recovery

sa13495.jpg
    650 x 488 - 66K
  • Going down

The GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the second quarter of 2020 is -46.6 percent on June 25, down from -45.5 percent on June 17. After this week’s data releases from the U.S. Census Bureau, the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, and the National Association of Realtors, a decrease in the nowcast of second-quarter real residential investment growth from -25.9 percent to -35.9 percent was offset by an increase in the nowcast of real business fixed investment growth from -31.1 percent to -28.2 percent

Right now, sales taxes, real-estate-transfer taxes, income taxes, fines and fees—they are all collapsing, leaving local governments with a budget gap expected to total $1 trillion next year. Without help from Washington, this will necessarily mean massive service cuts and job losses: namely, an estimated 5.3 million job losses.

• Another view on restoration

sa13497.jpg
    792 x 462 - 68K
  • Again marxists around

Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors said in a newly surfaced video from 2015 that she and her fellow organizers are “trained Marxists”. Cullors, 36 spent years absorbing the Marxist-Leninist ideology that shaped her worldview.

“The first thing, I think, is that we actually do have an ideological frame. Myself and Alicia in particular are trained organizers,” she said, referring to BLM co-founder Alicia Garza.

“We are trained Marxists. We are super-versed on, sort of, ideological theories. And I think that what we really tried to do is build a movement that could be utilized by many, many black folk,”

Bad news for some guys.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"And never underestimate anyone :-)"

Now this is some vrey down to earth thinking... Really appreciate (dont get me wrong in now that i didn't contributed nothing to the forum) .

• Although self-experimentation by physicians and other biological scientists appears to be in decline, the courage of those involved and the benefits to society cannot be denied.

Remind me PIHKAL and TIHKAL personal experiences of the Shulgin family .-)

• researchers on droplet contagion say during a coughing fit , masks don't protect.... https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0015044 ....obvious common sense solution is distance oneself from anyone having a coughing fit !

• @Vitaliy....Cullors endorsed elizabeth warren. Doesn't sound like a "trained marxist" to me .

• @kurth

Well, they are smart. And not old fashioned.

We'll see as things will unwind, now racism theme is being used as huge shield, as modern capitalism can't go openly against it.

• Mordor chart

Self isolation index during COVID on Y axis versus homicides per 100k people. Interesting trend.

sa13500.jpg
    796 x 769 - 60K
  • @vitaliy.....hey I know you agree with me on this one ! It's not about being smart. It's about being dedicated...or just another soldout political meme. I've told you my best friend who lives in cambodia is a "dedicated" marxist, for 50 years. I pretty much get what being a marxist means to how one would respond in a political universe. If someone is a "trained marxist", which is a quote....which I find the term absurd, unless they went to a marxist university, or what ? ....trained in the jungles of vietnam ? But regardless, a trained marxist would never support a blatant capitalist example like elizabeth warren ...in this, or any other universe. What Cullors is...is an attention seeker, and blowhard. Would Malcom x have said this ? Here's what he said.....and he was a true black revolutionary....“When the day comes when the whites who are really fed-up — I don’t mean these jive whites who pose as liberals... — learn how to establish the proper type of communication with those uptown [in Harlem] who are fed-up, and they get some co-ordinated action going, you’ll get some changes... And it will take both.” Interestingly, if you look at her wiki...it doesn't mention marxism at all. And that's after "36" years indoctrineated ...ah....absorbing marxist leninist ideologies ??...I'd bet she never read past the intro in das kapital !

• @kurth

You badly know history. If supporting some capitalist initiative or person will bring you closer to the goal or will change the things so it'll be simpler to get to the goal later - it is good thing to do. Does not mean that you need to become opportunist, but it is just mean that you keep core principles and not that you are stone idiot following each book rule. It is lot of people who can cite you book even in their sleep, but few who can act according to real situation.

• Example of clear second wave

sa13501.jpg
    413 x 264 - 18K
  • @Vitaly.....ahhh...wrong ! Did trotsky compromise ? Me thinks my history is better.

• @kurth

As politican and tactic Trotsky is very bad example, he was bad before 1917 and even worse after 1922.

• Japan

Industrial production was seen down 5.6% in May from the previous month, a Reuters poll of 17 economists found, falling for a fourth straight month but less sharply than a revised 9.8% drop in April.

The poll also showed retail sales are expected to fall 11.6% in May from a year earlier, down for a third month in a row, after a revised 13.9% drop in April.

• @vitaliy....of course there will be a clear second wave in some places, esp if like croatia, they were fast to respond. But I notice that croatia has once again closed it's border, attempting to stop the new increase. What's interesting about professionals talking about the "pandemic" is they're applying past models to something that's defied our understanding on all levels. Why would old pandemic models be able to describe something not understood. I don't believe the model that says pandemics eventually come to their own demise applies to corona, which means I don't believe in herd immunity either. I think this might be perpetual.

• @Vitaliy...he's a great example for what we're talking about though....and short of lenin and marx, the most widely read theorist. Maybe even more widely, due to swp.

• @kurth.

Of course all herd immunity is bullshit.

But we don't have proper models only because scientists know that is expected from them. So we have two kinds of approaches - either big initial overestimation (very safe approach, also allow capitalists to open much faster) and big present and future underestimation (even safer and also made to keep present economy afloat).

Proper goal can be to use coronavirus to flush capitalist economy down the toilet. NAnd we'll see how things unwind.

• @kurth

May be wide in some closed US and EU circles. Nice theories that don't match practice are of little use. And Trotsky had been horrible tactic and very famous opportunist.

• @Vitaliy....same was/is true with the sandinistas . They began as true marxist revolutionarios...and then were forced, by war and embargoes into being pragmatist , which eventually led them into totalitarianism. That's what happens when you compromise out of convenience. It's a never ending slide downhill.

• A petition, signed by over 600 students, alleges that Block has ‘racist and sexist beliefs’.

The petition claims that Block “has publicly stated that he believes slavery to be wrong because it goes against Libertarianism, not because it is morally wrong.”

Block, as the professor told the publication “Slavery is wrong, evil and should be outlawed, and slavers be considered criminals and put in jail because it is a rights violation; it is an abomination.”

“The woke people who want me fired do not wish to engage in civil dialogue or debate. Also, thank goodness for academic freedom and what little intellectual diversity remains on campus,” Block urged.

Someone is slow to understand that libertarians who are now standing close to extreme right of the US spectrum (against help for people who lost jobs and many more such things) are very near to the slave owners. Time of debate is ending, it will be time for action.

• @kurth it was pretty split 50-50 with Iraq,although I wonder how much more or less would end up dead if Abo Odai had stayed ?