Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • Just downloaded "Genesis" in 1080p from Vimeo and I really enjoyed the image quality! Very organic and frankly I don't understand why people complain about the sharpness.

• @danyyyel You can't assert your own views of the camera market and just ambiguously relate that to what you think should be the price of a new camera. Can you?

• To people who are whining about the price... If you can't afford the new GH3, just use your "old" GH2. It didn't suddenly become a bad camera just because the GH3 is out...

The GH3 looks to be awesome and the price isn't that bad! And besides, you can always buy the camera with 24 month credit, and with that monthly fee it's like 2 BigMac meals per week for an awesome camera...

EDIT: Plus you have to factor in that your existing lenses are going to provide better images, so what you are getting is more IQ ROI from your current gear with that new body... ;)

• Monday is that day will Se ,how GH3 perform,i think ,Panasonic will present more that 1 camera, if this camera is like the resolution of Gh2 plus better picture profile ,plus 1080p 60 50, plus in 720p possible 120, and more Dynamic Range then is a winner

• +1 @derek. oh wow, whining whining whining. No disrespect to any female members on here, but even if they give some of you diamond dicks, it's still not gonna be enough.

• @derek , you have to factor in competition. If you are only doing video and have very low budget, then sure the gh3 at $ 1300 is a bargain. But if you are running a double system, like many I think the price becomes a bit of a stretch. For $ 300 less you are getting a Nikon d7000 or $ 700 more a full frame Nikon D600 that has some very nice video. I am not saying that it is going to be better than the gh3 for video, but for photo it will be in another league. So it is not like it is living in a vacuum world where it has no competitor.

• i really love that 48p option in gh3. i could do well in motion capture 48p converted to 24p without a frame drop.so sharp and superb motion possible??? what do u feel people?

• wow good news hopefully the gh3 will receive 176mbit patches and above,.. ha ha,... ;) lets welcome the greater than the greatest gh3...

• I think everybody is not seeing the big picture. You will get Avchd 2.0 1080p 60P, all-I 72mbps and 50mbps native from the sensor and I believe this will be in avchd, mov, and h.264, a magnesium alloy body ,an Oled Lvf and Oled Lcd and probably more features that will be revealed tomorrow. And all panasonic is asking for is an additional few hundred dollars over the GH2 and people are bitching about that, You can't get something for nothing. You can't get everything you want for $999 or without some trade-offs.

Pick your trade-offs and buy the camera you can afford.

• Totally agree derek.

• I only see people here crying camera is costly,people want a perfect camera for 2 cents,no way,wait for Monday will see the full spec of GH3 ,1300$ is a bargain

• @ahbleza I am pretty much on the same page. I think the GH3 might make it on my list of USED gear to buy when my GH2 breaks, at a much lower price.

We are truly spoiled with tons of great options today. Funny enough, I picked up my Mini DV Canon Elura 100 to show my kids some old videos, and damn, so easy to handle. Tech moves quickly...

• I think the 30% price increase for the body is out of my range. They should be smart like Apple and keep products a a consumer price point. If it cost them 30% more for metal and weather sealing, they should have released the plastic body GH-3 for $999.99 and the metal "Pro" for $1,299.99. I don't care about weather sealing. I never owned a camera with that. I won't be taking pictures in the rain. We still have a bad world economy, and a 30% price increase is a large jump. I don't see an EXTRA $300 value in the metal body or weather sealing. All other features seem standard. i wonder after the enthusiasts, how well regular consumer sales will go.

• Looks like Mr Bloom re-uploaded the GH3 short...

• @Nickben I've decided they've priced it outside of my range. I'm happy for now shooting with my AF100 (when I need to record hours of interviews), my GH2 (when I need awesome short clips for music videos), and my D800 (when I need great stills and versatile video that's adequate, as well as wide shots.) Since I've also ordered a BMCC with MFT mount, I don't really have room in my budget this year for a GH3, until the price drops below US$1,000. Having said that, I'm still excited about the GH3, and will likely donate towards a hack for it.

• Not considering portability, I ask you 2 key questons about the GH3 considering 2013 is basically around the corner:

1. If you had a choice on a paid Pro Video shoot, would you use this or a BMCC ?

2. If you had a choice on a paid Pro Photo shoot, would you use this or a Canon 5D Mark3 / Nikon 800 ?

My answer to both is an unfortunate No. Would I eventually buy one to replace my GH2?...

Possibly if it broke, but I hope Panasonic has another camera to release on the M43 platfom very quickly, hopefully 4K on M43 mount with h.265 in 2013 or 2014. I think the GH3 is a small improvement at a time when others are making major improvements.

Even if Panasonic announced a future compatability with 4K, that would keep me investing in new M43 lenses, but for now I'm keeping what I got. Sorry Panasonic, I think this is a tough sell to new or crossover customers with so many options from Sony, Canon and Nikon...

• Hmm.. the smaller sensor is a step back I think. I like the fact you can get a tad wider on GH2 multi-aspect sensor than standard M4/3. Also the video on Vimeo even on HD setting looks soft to me in resolution, maybe this is due to the grading but I think it's better to start with sharp image to work from than soft. GH2 will continue to sell at cheaper prices if this new camera is only a modest upgrade :) All will be revealed soon...

• I hope one thing : firmware will be open source ...

• sam_rides_a_mtb +1

• As far as the sensor having more DR, that is only all good and dandy if there is a way to implement that into video. The GH2 could have more DR in video if there was built-in adjustable curves like the OM-D has. Without this, we will only see greater DR in raw stills. True, the codec implementation, as well as film modes, will play a role in DR, but to really improve it with 8-bit video, there will need to be some flatter profiles or option to create inverse or flatter curves. Will be interesting to see film modes, gamma curve options (hopefully there), black stretching options, or again, just simply adjustable curves. This is dreaming now, but how awesome would it be to have the full "Highlights/Shadows" adjustment from Photoshop right in-camera! Maybe with app options in the near future :)

• When you see a video, you first evaluate it to try to imagine if it represents the potential of the cam. Of course, there is no substitute for hands-on work, but certainly in this forum you get an idea of each person's view on quality, what they see, what they expect, and you form your own consensus based on what you and your colleagues see. If the Genesis vid was just a random group of images shot from a tram, I would be concerned, but not overly so. The fact that PB created at least part of it makes me wonder if in fact Panasonic has jumped the shark. Yes, OLED monitor, but we need the IQ better, not the appearance of the IQ.

@philipbloom tomorrow is always a day away

looking for chip butties in the next vid

thanks for all your work

• I couldn't give a rat's arse about the sensor or the grading on the Bloom film. I'm just pissed that I can't find an espresso button anywhere on the thing.

• I have a feeling they want to sell the high speed burst modes (120fps,maybe 240fps) to us as an in-app purchase you can enable via smartphone or tablet.

Same with tablet based live- view.

Just a guess

• No proper pink model for VK

I am sure that they are holding it for press conference :-)

• Yes, 2.1 is getting large. Less bokehliciousness also.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions