Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • I think the 30% price increase for the body is out of my range. They should be smart like Apple and keep products a a consumer price point. If it cost them 30% more for metal and weather sealing, they should have released the plastic body GH-3 for $999.99 and the metal "Pro" for $1,299.99. I don't care about weather sealing. I never owned a camera with that. I won't be taking pictures in the rain. We still have a bad world economy, and a 30% price increase is a large jump. I don't see an EXTRA $300 value in the metal body or weather sealing. All other features seem standard. i wonder after the enthusiasts, how well regular consumer sales will go.

• @ahbleza I am pretty much on the same page. I think the GH3 might make it on my list of USED gear to buy when my GH2 breaks, at a much lower price.

We are truly spoiled with tons of great options today. Funny enough, I picked up my Mini DV Canon Elura 100 to show my kids some old videos, and damn, so easy to handle. Tech moves quickly...

• I only see people here crying camera is costly,people want a perfect camera for 2 cents,no way,wait for Monday will see the full spec of GH3 ,1300$ is a bargain

• Totally agree derek.

• I think everybody is not seeing the big picture. You will get Avchd 2.0 1080p 60P, all-I 72mbps and 50mbps native from the sensor and I believe this will be in avchd, mov, and h.264, a magnesium alloy body ,an Oled Lvf and Oled Lcd and probably more features that will be revealed tomorrow. And all panasonic is asking for is an additional few hundred dollars over the GH2 and people are bitching about that, You can't get something for nothing. You can't get everything you want for $999 or without some trade-offs.

Pick your trade-offs and buy the camera you can afford.

• wow good news hopefully the gh3 will receive 176mbit patches and above,.. ha ha,... ;) lets welcome the greater than the greatest gh3...

• @derek , you have to factor in competition. If you are only doing video and have very low budget, then sure the gh3 at $ 1300 is a bargain. But if you are running a double system, like many I think the price becomes a bit of a stretch. For $ 300 less you are getting a Nikon d7000 or $ 700 more a full frame Nikon D600 that has some very nice video. I am not saying that it is going to be better than the gh3 for video, but for photo it will be in another league. So it is not like it is living in a vacuum world where it has no competitor.

• i really love that 48p option in gh3. i could do well in motion capture 48p converted to 24p without a frame drop.so sharp and superb motion possible??? what do u feel people?

• +1 @derek. oh wow, whining whining whining. No disrespect to any female members on here, but even if they give some of you diamond dicks, it's still not gonna be enough.

• Monday is that day will Se ,how GH3 perform,i think ,Panasonic will present more that 1 camera, if this camera is like the resolution of Gh2 plus better picture profile ,plus 1080p 60 50, plus in 720p possible 120, and more Dynamic Range then is a winner

• To people who are whining about the price... If you can't afford the new GH3, just use your "old" GH2. It didn't suddenly become a bad camera just because the GH3 is out...

The GH3 looks to be awesome and the price isn't that bad! And besides, you can always buy the camera with 24 month credit, and with that monthly fee it's like 2 BigMac meals per week for an awesome camera...

EDIT: Plus you have to factor in that your existing lenses are going to provide better images, so what you are getting is more IQ ROI from your current gear with that new body... ;)

• @danyyyel You can't assert your own views of the camera market and just ambiguously relate that to what you think should be the price of a new camera. Can you?

• Just downloaded "Genesis" in 1080p from Vimeo and I really enjoyed the image quality! Very organic and frankly I don't understand why people complain about the sharpness.

• Interesting. I downloaded "Genesis" and I see the same pulsing tints in the noise of underexposed frames as I see in the GH2. I don't think they fixed the codec problems.. Look at the tint of the carpet and dark areas around the bed. 3rd picture shows the area side by side and clearly shows the problem.

vlcsnap-2012-09-16-17h35m02s37.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    vlcsnap-2012-09-16-17h36m42s98.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    cut.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @danyyyel just buy a Nikon camera dude and be done with it....

• For anyone interested in size comparizon... looks beefy!

GH2GH3.jpg
    1510 x 1062 - 208K
  • @oscillian,

It's slightly wider than my D7000 but shorter(D7000 5.2 inches wide, 4.1 inches tall) (GH3 5.3 inches wide, 3.68 inches tall)

• @oscillian

It's good news. The GH2 was made for people with little hands.

• @svart

Those screengrabs (I assume they were taken from Bloom´s original upload file?) makes me think that shot was shot with a fast frame rate. It looks almost like upscaled 720p footage from the gh2. The following shots from the same scene are far more detailed. However, there is noise there, too. The noise / darkness in the end scene seems like it could be bumped up iso + fast shutter speed in what seems to be a very well lit situation. (if watching the behind the scenes shots from bloom)

• The 1080p download of the re-uploaded version looks STUNNING, overall.

• @RRRR

Yes they are from the original file. I've seen this same thing all over GH2 footage. I've done the same thing myself, even at mid ISO. The easiest way to produce it is have a large area of smooth color and then underexpose slightly in that area. Overall exposure is not important, neither is shutter speed.

• Looks like the GH3 jello effect is about the same as the GH2. It is not an issue for most people but might be for some.

GH3 Jello Affect attached picture. The edge of the train should not be slanted.

GH2 Rolling Shutter Effect

Dyno00001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 56K
    Dyno00001.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @svart, I think Philip Bloom said something like "It was an early pre-production camera, so much of it I wasn’t able to try out..." Let's wait and see what the actual camera feel like less than 12 hours from now and hear more analysis from Philip Bloom him self.

• @svart--first thing I thought when seeing the vid was the icky pulsing junk in certain areas. Let's hope it can be done away with, but I have a sinking feeling.

The other thing is of course the sensor. I mean, when you shoot vid with an Olly, it just letterboxes. The GH2 gives you the real deal. So if they chopped those extra pixels off, well, Oy. Plus for stills I like my wide lenses to have the option of being wider just by changing the sensor size. It's like having a wide angle adapter built-in, and makes a huge difference on the 20mm and 14mm primes.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions