Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • I think I got the sensor anxiety. lol. I'll wait until tomorrow, I'm really trying not to draw any negative conclusions based on the unacceptable genesis short.

• As far as the sensor being Sony, it would make perfect sense if there is an upgraded AF100 in development with an improved Panasonic sensor. The fact that the GH2, when hacked, looked better than their "Pro" video camera can never have gone down very well at Panasonic.

• 3" OLED screen! It looks like my Varavon Loupe will fit after all. @stonebat But we unforunately still gonna need our ghetto DIY eyecups.

• I'm bummed out about the lack of multi-aspect ratio, but I welcome the Sony sensor. I'm confident there'll be a big boost in DR in stills mode, but my fingers are still crossed for extra DR in video mode.

They could shave off a couple hundred from the price also.

• I'm cautiously excited. If they give us similar or better than GH2 video performance in a pro body with a few new bells and whistles in a market where most worthwhile options seem to cost $3,000+ than I think we're cooking with gas.

• When a 4:3 aspect ratio sensor is switched to 16:9, the angle of view is about 9% narrower. In this case the GH3 crop factor will be around 2.18

• GH3 will match the AF100 then at 17.8 x 10 in 16:9, yes? as that was also 2.1x crop

• I rarely follow new kit and specifications as closely as I have for the gh cameras, do camera manufacturers regulally dish out all of this dubious news through rumors.. to then turn around and give some positive news on announcement day?

Thumbs down to.. no muti-aspect sensor? new sensor with less resolution than previous model? Iso range hoping to drop to 100 actually higher than current model at 200? Inceasing size of camera? Increasing cost of camera?

Thumbs up to.. BMCC is good value for money? Already having a gh2..

I am an optimistic kind of guy.. hoping for some good news tomorrow :)

• Jizzyjones 3:20PM

GH3 will match the AF100 then at 17.8 x 10 in 16:9, yes? as that was also 2.1x crop

I think is 17.3 x 9.7 in 16:9 mode, as for any other G/GF/GX camera

• I sincerely hope that Panasonic has a lower price than $ 1300 for body only. Looking beyond the m43 fan, I can't see it competing well with 2 new $ 2000 full frame camera from Nikon or Canon and $ 300 more than an Apsc Nikon D7000.

I know that for some here that are for video only the gh3 is well worth it, but for 90% + of the market this is not the case. They Panasonic have to compete against a whole set of camera from very established camera companies that have a whole ecosystem of lens, flash system, etc.

As a Nikon user as a photographer I came to the gh2 because of the price quality ratio and I could adapt my lens. But if this camera cost so much I might better either invest in a d600 (that will come normally) as a backup to my D800 or even think about a BMC. I think a lot of people will be in the same case. Contrary to many here who live only in the m43 video world I think a bit more about the general market for this camera to succeed beyond just a niche market, thereby ensuring the survival of this model/brand.

• I am a little disappointed by the non multi aspect ratio type sensor mostly for the size of the sensor. Before many did not make the move because they thought that M43 was too small while in reality it was more like Canon Apsc 1.6 to Gh2 1.86, which was not that big. Now going to 2.1 is quite big difference.

• No proper pink model for VK

• Yes, 2.1 is getting large. Less bokehliciousness also.

• No proper pink model for VK

I am sure that they are holding it for press conference :-)

• I have a feeling they want to sell the high speed burst modes (120fps,maybe 240fps) to us as an in-app purchase you can enable via smartphone or tablet.

Same with tablet based live- view.

Just a guess

• I couldn't give a rat's arse about the sensor or the grading on the Bloom film. I'm just pissed that I can't find an espresso button anywhere on the thing.

• When you see a video, you first evaluate it to try to imagine if it represents the potential of the cam. Of course, there is no substitute for hands-on work, but certainly in this forum you get an idea of each person's view on quality, what they see, what they expect, and you form your own consensus based on what you and your colleagues see. If the Genesis vid was just a random group of images shot from a tram, I would be concerned, but not overly so. The fact that PB created at least part of it makes me wonder if in fact Panasonic has jumped the shark. Yes, OLED monitor, but we need the IQ better, not the appearance of the IQ.

@philipbloom tomorrow is always a day away

looking for chip butties in the next vid

thanks for all your work

• As far as the sensor having more DR, that is only all good and dandy if there is a way to implement that into video. The GH2 could have more DR in video if there was built-in adjustable curves like the OM-D has. Without this, we will only see greater DR in raw stills. True, the codec implementation, as well as film modes, will play a role in DR, but to really improve it with 8-bit video, there will need to be some flatter profiles or option to create inverse or flatter curves. Will be interesting to see film modes, gamma curve options (hopefully there), black stretching options, or again, just simply adjustable curves. This is dreaming now, but how awesome would it be to have the full "Highlights/Shadows" adjustment from Photoshop right in-camera! Maybe with app options in the near future :)

• sam_rides_a_mtb +1

• I hope one thing : firmware will be open source ...

• Hmm.. the smaller sensor is a step back I think. I like the fact you can get a tad wider on GH2 multi-aspect sensor than standard M4/3. Also the video on Vimeo even on HD setting looks soft to me in resolution, maybe this is due to the grading but I think it's better to start with sharp image to work from than soft. GH2 will continue to sell at cheaper prices if this new camera is only a modest upgrade :) All will be revealed soon...

• Not considering portability, I ask you 2 key questons about the GH3 considering 2013 is basically around the corner:

1. If you had a choice on a paid Pro Video shoot, would you use this or a BMCC ?

2. If you had a choice on a paid Pro Photo shoot, would you use this or a Canon 5D Mark3 / Nikon 800 ?

My answer to both is an unfortunate No. Would I eventually buy one to replace my GH2?...

Possibly if it broke, but I hope Panasonic has another camera to release on the M43 platfom very quickly, hopefully 4K on M43 mount with h.265 in 2013 or 2014. I think the GH3 is a small improvement at a time when others are making major improvements.

Even if Panasonic announced a future compatability with 4K, that would keep me investing in new M43 lenses, but for now I'm keeping what I got. Sorry Panasonic, I think this is a tough sell to new or crossover customers with so many options from Sony, Canon and Nikon...

• @Nickben I've decided they've priced it outside of my range. I'm happy for now shooting with my AF100 (when I need to record hours of interviews), my GH2 (when I need awesome short clips for music videos), and my D800 (when I need great stills and versatile video that's adequate, as well as wide shots.) Since I've also ordered a BMCC with MFT mount, I don't really have room in my budget this year for a GH3, until the price drops below US$1,000. Having said that, I'm still excited about the GH3, and will likely donate towards a hack for it.

• Looks like Mr Bloom re-uploaded the GH3 short...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions