Personal View site logo
Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Recent review of the cheap 27" monitors....

27", 2560x1440 IPS display for well under $400

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23291

• 23" LG IPS236V-PN 1920x1080 IPS REFURBISHED for $130

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IPS236V-PN-R

• would like to see a 24" 1920x1200 panel with pivot from them.. hope their business goes well and they make more kinds of these s-ips monitors

• Got the Shimian IPSMS model. One dead pixel so far. Backligth seems to be quite good except in the bottom left and right corner where it got a slight yellow tint (on white background). Works great with Dr. Bott mini displayport to dual-link DVI and my MBP from mid 2010 :)

Edit: found another bright dead pixel at the top right corner. Not bothering - I am quite happy!

• That might work, but for $35 you can buy at GT 240 with the proper connector that will also run Mercury Engine on Premiere Pro.

• How about if you use an adapter such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bizlink-Active-DisplayPort-DP-USB-Dual-Link-DVI-24-1-Adapter-ATI-eyefinity-XT625-/280905477789?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4167456e9d

from what I've searched it should work with one of those (supposing your displayport supports the resolution)

• no. you need HD DVI connector.

• Would these work with Displayport to HDMI adapter + hdmi to DVI cable? Has anyone had the experience?

• Nice! Thanks.

• Depending on which model you buy, you can either attach a VESA adapter to the back, or remove the stand and a few pieces of plastic, and THEN attach VESA to the back. I glued mine to my hand with crazy glue and then I had to buy another one to keep from falling over. I have now calibrated the monitor several times with Huey pro, and out of the box, the monitor has a bluish cast that goes away when you calibrate it. After calibration, it looks very nice. It has a few more contrast bars visible than my ASUS IPS monitor. You can install an ICC profile to balance it, but of course it depends on the lights in your room. I suppose one could make a profile for incandescent light, then you load it in without the Huey.

• Most probably this plastic thing can be removed and it has standard mount.

I remember something about it on some forum.

But check with owners.

• sorry to ask again- any chance I can put this thing on an arm, or mount it? seems like the plastic piece on the back wont allow it.

• @maxdvz

Look at the film references above. You can use such film to make it much better.

• I just received the Shimian 27" with tempered glass. $300 shipped. I'm very happy with it, but if I had to do it all over I would probably get the non- tempered glass version because it is highly reflective, and I hear the non-glass version is probably less reflective.

BTW, no dead pixels that I can see but there does appear to be one small fleck of dust behind the glass. Hardly noticeable, though.

• can the stand be taken off and the monitor attached to an arm? based on the picts it doesnt look like thats possible?

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED-2560X1440-WQHD-DVI-D-Dual-Computer-Monitor-/140738200221?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c4a6829d I have only the one item from this vendor, but my monitor arrived in four days and the seller answered my email and provided a real tracking number. One of the big sellers of these monitors.

• @DrDave, Which vendor did you get yours from? I see you said Green-sum but I couldn't find an ebay vendor by that name.

• I was surprised I had no backlight or pixel issues. I wonder if I had paid more for the pixel perfect version if I would get the same monitor :)

• Just to pile on to what @DrDave said -- I just received my Yamakasi Catleap 27" and it couldn't be easier to use with my Aluminum MBP -- literally plug and play. No dead pixels or backlight bleed that I can tell. $300 shipped, less than a week from order to door. Really, you can't go wrong here.

• @svart you can get one with a built-in converter for more money, but as Vitaliy says it is just a monitor. The monitor comes with the "dense" DVI cable, it will not accept the DVI cable with the gap in the pins. Most good graphics cards--even my trusty $35 GT 240 which runs Premiere Pro in Cuda mode--have these extra pins and you need only use the supplied cable. I would buy one of these monitors just to put on the desktop, I mean, why not?

• @svart

It clearly states that it does not have any CPU, so it works in native resolution and doubly link DVI only.

• Have you tried using an HDMI-DVI cable to see if it will sync to a GH2 HDMI output?

I've really been thinking about getting one of the 27" versions. They are going for like 295$ on ebay now.

• Goes dim and bright; there are two buttons on the lower edge of the bezel. One makes the monitor really dim, and the other makes it quite bright. Certainly bright enough. I don't use it outdoors. There's no little bar graph that shows you where you are, so you would have to recalibrate if you messed with the brightness too much. Or count button presses--easy enough. Ambient light plays a huge role in monitor calibration, which is probably why the reviews are so different. With the Huey Pro, it adjusts the gamma etc automatically. But of course the dynamic range is important, all I can say is it is better than my Asus 23" IPS in all respects. Except the Asus has a headphone jack. Hey, I could use it to monitor my GH2! Still looking for my first dead pixel. Thought I found one, but it was a speck of dust. There are also two buttons for the speakers, but my monitor does not have speakers. I mention this because I figured, why put an amplifier in there if you don't need one? It might mess with the display electronics. I will try to measure how many bars of grey shades are visible--that is the key metric. I did read a post somewhere that said the Shimian version has better contrast than the Catleap. However, they did not offer a side by side measurement. I have used brighter monitors, but this one is bright enough. After all, you are staring right at this big screen, it isn't across the room like a TV.

• @DrDave

Most issues with this monitor that I see on forums is that it has high minimum brightness.
    As on monitor calibrated for video preview you need not only colors calibration, but also tune the brightness for correct levels.