Personal View site logo
Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • sorry to ask again- any chance I can put this thing on an arm, or mount it? seems like the plastic piece on the back wont allow it.

• Most probably this plastic thing can be removed and it has standard mount.

I remember something about it on some forum.

But check with owners.

• Depending on which model you buy, you can either attach a VESA adapter to the back, or remove the stand and a few pieces of plastic, and THEN attach VESA to the back. I glued mine to my hand with crazy glue and then I had to buy another one to keep from falling over. I have now calibrated the monitor several times with Huey pro, and out of the box, the monitor has a bluish cast that goes away when you calibrate it. After calibration, it looks very nice. It has a few more contrast bars visible than my ASUS IPS monitor. You can install an ICC profile to balance it, but of course it depends on the lights in your room. I suppose one could make a profile for incandescent light, then you load it in without the Huey.

• Nice! Thanks.

• Would these work with Displayport to HDMI adapter + hdmi to DVI cable? Has anyone had the experience?

• no. you need HD DVI connector.

• How about if you use an adapter such as this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bizlink-Active-DisplayPort-DP-USB-Dual-Link-DVI-24-1-Adapter-ATI-eyefinity-XT625-/280905477789?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4167456e9d

from what I've searched it should work with one of those (supposing your displayport supports the resolution)

• That might work, but for $35 you can buy at GT 240 with the proper connector that will also run Mercury Engine on Premiere Pro.

• Got the Shimian IPSMS model. One dead pixel so far. Backligth seems to be quite good except in the bottom left and right corner where it got a slight yellow tint (on white background). Works great with Dr. Bott mini displayport to dual-link DVI and my MBP from mid 2010 :)

Edit: found another bright dead pixel at the top right corner. Not bothering - I am quite happy!

• would like to see a 24" 1920x1200 panel with pivot from them.. hope their business goes well and they make more kinds of these s-ips monitors

• 23" LG IPS236V-PN 1920x1080 IPS REFURBISHED for $130

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IPS236V-PN-R

• Recent review of the cheap 27" monitors....

27", 2560x1440 IPS display for well under $400

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23291

• I have a Hanns-G HH281 28" monitor 1920x1200. Bought it more than 2 years ago for £200. It has it's pros and cons: awesome for multitasking (especially if you are a web-developer who likes to have many screens open in front of you), plus Premiere Pro is actually manageable.

I'm gonna build a new montage computer soon, and after reading this thread I'm tempted to get Shiman 27" as the second monitor for the editing suite. My question is: To put Shimian 27" 2560x1440 and Hanns-G HH281 28" monitor 1920x1200 (notice different pixels quantity), would I need some special video card which would send 1920x1200 signal to one monitor and 2560x1440 signal to other???

My other question is: with a screen that has this kind of pixel quality, do we need one of those super-expensive broadcast monitors any more for the editing suit?

• To put Shimian 27" 2560x1440 and Hanns-G HH281 28" monitor 1920x1200 (notice different pixels quantity), would I need some special video card which would send 1920x1200 signal to one monitor and 2560x1440 signal to other???

Most modern cards, even cheap one are ok.

New 27" will require one dual link DVI. And you old monitor will work using other port.

• Any of those Monitors working with 50hz INTERNALLY? Not accepting 50hz or 75hz and coverting to 60 internally, but real, true, 50hz motion resolution. This is what we urgently need in PAL Land. As far as I remember one EIZO monitor worth €1000 does this, but maybe there is a cheap alternative...

• Follow up--after using this 27" monitor (I have the Catleap) day in day out for Premiere editing mainly and some surfing, I report that my copy is still perfect, with no tint, no dead pixels and minimal bleeding. I'm glad I did NOT opt for the glass. My copy is also dead silent. As far as Premiere goes, it is great, but you know for a lot of editing it is nice to have more "stuff" at the bottom of the screen, so I may get an extra monitor to handle some of the windows. What I'm saying is that there is no real advantage for editing to have the dimensions match 16x9. Color: after color correction (I have the Basic Huey Pro), the colors look very good, richer with more shadow definition and better transitions than my ASUS ips monitor. Turn off the Huey and it is Bluey. Hobbit trailer in 4K: looks awesome. Except where the idiots who made the trailer messed up the sound sync (can you believe it?) This is a great small 4K TV (4K is not always 4K). Audio editing: totally freaking rocks for audio editing. Lots of tracks, lots of room. w00t! Viewing angle: well, you can of course still see it from the side. What is good is that the color does not really change if you move your head. Don't expect perfect quality from the side, but it works like a good IPS monitor should. Size: bigger than two full size pages, great for booklet layout, music score editing and brochures. Reflections: well, don't use it near a window. Pixel size: they are so tiny, the images have an almost analog look Photoshop: great for photoshop. You see a lot of the raw detail. Stand: my Catleap stand is adjustable, works fine. Feels like it could break if you pushed it too hard. Remember, the whole thing is very thin. Re tech report review: if you can't figure out how to adjust the brightness with the brightness button, you should not be writing a review. Epic fail.

• very good german montor tech site tested 27" and 30". I waited for this test and after this i will stay with my Nec2690Wuxi², cause isn't optimal for CC, image processing and also gaming.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-shimian-qh270.html http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-shimian-qh300.html

• @DrDave It's closer to 1080p than 4K, but damn, I still wanna see that shit.. Anyone in PAListan have one of these? How does 25p content look?

• I read this review, and I think the review is very positive. "After calibration, almost all values ​​are close to optimum." (translated from German, naturlich). High praise indeed. I see no problem for professional use if properly calibrated. Basically, what they are saying is that you get the best results with the brightness turned up, but the monitor is not very bright, and you need some dynamic range--you can't calibrate a dark monitor. So, you have to calibrate the monitor, but you have to do that anyway, or use a profile that someone posts online. You can't buy a monitor that does not need calibration, because the calibration depends on ambient light, which changes during the day. They also said is was great for movie playback, which it is. One thing they mention is the buzz or noise from the monitor. Mine is completely silent. So there may be electrical differences between the Shimian and the Catleap, or this could be differences in batches. I suspect there are differences. I would also recommend ppl do not buy one with extra electrical crap in the circuit path, meaning the on-board audio and crappy video controls. It probably is the cheesy extra circuit board that causes the buzz. Spend the extra money on a Huey, DOH! @Perder I know what you mean, but what YouTube is calling 4K is 2048x1536. For example I uploaded this video in 4K (4096x2304)

And if you select "original" (meaning, not original) you get the so-called YouTube 4K of 2048x1536. The Catleap has resolution of 2560x1440, so it is close (not perfect, obviously) to the YouTube faux 4K. Even better is that if you are running video wider than 16x9, those extra pixels fall in the unused black bars, so you are covered. I don't plan on uploading a lot of 4K video, but being able to view and check "youtube 4K" is a huge plus. BTW the Hobbit looks all fake and play-doh, but the resolution is amazing.

• hi thanks for this. Question - SO if my notebook has only one dvi port, can I use this as a second monitor? Thanks

• @bheath

Dual Link DVI is one port. Check that your notebook has dual link DVI.

• just received my QNIX 2560 Perfect Pixel from ebay. Took 4 days to Germany from over there. Amazing thing. Cost me 300 euros, no bleeding, no dead pixels as of now. :)