Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • Anybody found non glossy models?

• you can always get a non glossy screen protector. I myself bought a glossy one (because of price, obviously) in spite of me being a non glossy fan. but i dont have a window behind me while working so i gave it a go. and its not a big deal. :)

• The problem with non glossy screen protector mounted on top off glossy screen is that often the distance between actual pixels and surface is larger than on native native non glossy. So you loose more sharpness. So i will wait until a non glossy version is available.

• I have an Asus IPS and of course the Catleap. The Asus has better window resistance. The Catleap has better color, uniformity, sharpness, resolution, etc., etc. I find the light bleed of the Asus much more annoying than the glossy issue. But the gloss is an issue, so I placed it away fro the window. If I had to choose between a smeary, blurry anti-reflective coating and a window I would buy a window shade.

• Bought the Crossover 27Q with pivot base: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110869169169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I will update with results!

• Just so people will know, many people like some of the other brands than Catleap because of the different base options. You get the same basic panel with maybe some minor cosmetic differences. The Catleap base is your typical ring style, minimalist base and looks fine, but it is definitely on the thin side. It resembles my Asus IPS base. It does swivel and tilt, however. Whether the electronics are different is hard to say. Some people report "hum" from the electronics, which could just be different batches.

• Of the 3 most popular Korean monitors I found the Shimian QH270 to be most affordable. The Catleap Q270 is generally a little more expensive, with overclock potential and better aesthetics (IMO). The Crossover 27Q is even more expensive for a metal chassis, optional pivot base and the best look (Again, IMO).

The "accessorieswhole" eBay seller has a 3 dead pixel policy, 1 year warranty, proper power supply and 99.9% positive feedback on over 10,500 sales. Most sellers have a 5 dead pixel policy with varying warranties, power supplies and feedback. The price difference between the Shimian, Catleap and Crossover is very little from "accessorieswhole". That simplified the choice for me.

There are even more Korean monitors that I did not want to spend time researching. Also, I read that many ordering a "pixel perfect" monitor still find a dead pixel and of course other issues like bleeding, etc. There is a ton of info floating around on these monitors. Ultimately, you just have to sift through it and decide what is best for you.

• Purchased a "Matrix" WQHD Monitor from eBay. Shipped from South Korea to my porch in New Mexico in 2 days. Gorgeous, built in speakers (kinda crummy but work for now), tilts and swivels, and in pristine condition. Very satisfied.

• Wow, accessorieswhole shipped the Crossover 27Q yesterday and I received it this afternoon. Overall the screen is excellent. There is one dead pixel at the bottom left and minor bleeding around the edges. I can't complain, my old LCD looks like it is covered in dust compared to this. I'm trying a pixel reviving program on my dead one. It most likely won't work but worth a shot.

• @DrDave Do you think that you could upload your calibrated catleap monitor profile? Of course we might have a different room setup, but it might still be a good place to start.... (I'm basically in a room with no daylight and overhead fluorescent light.)

• If you have fluorescent light I'm afraid it won't look right :(

• Ok, thanks anyway :)

• is there anyone who has had the chance to compare one of these calibrated with the right hardware to a studio monitor?

• @fatpig Do you mean a broadcast monitor? Those serve a different function and are not the same.

The Korean monitors are on par with the Apple Cinema displays that are used in many pro studios. With proper calibration the Apple Cinema and Korean monitors should be nearly identical because they use the same display panels.

• I just got a qnix from Korea and have tried a gt210 gt440 and a gt640. All with dual link.

I can see the boot screen and windows load screen but the monitor turns off about the time that windows should be starting up. If I plug in other regular hd monitors after start up, they are immediately recognized and work.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

• Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Change DVI cable, this is first suggestion :-)

• My Yamakasi Catleap's working fine on my GT640 (running in a 2008 MacPro / Mountain Lion), except I don't see the boot screen, just my desktop once the computer's powered up. Display sleep works fine. I've installed the latest CUDA driver, and I think the primary display driver part is handled by the OS.

I'd be curious if there's an extra step I'm leaving out to get the boot screen part working, but it's not really a big deal.

Love the Catleap; zero dead pixels although I didn't order anything special (perfect-pixel, etc).

• the bootscreen showing up is a separate issue, the panel has scaling only for special resolutions, or, if out of luck, no scaling at all so it only shows apps running at native res. so no BIOS for you.^^ My QNIX can show 640x480, 1280x720 and 2560x1440

• so i have been looking at those and seen good and bad stuff,

come on all these pro in here whit excellent cameras, and no visual talks yet, no popper insight on color/calibrating/response time, ect

get on it guys we other nerds need some more info, and could be nice whit a visual experience too from forum members.

• so i have been looking at those and seen good and bad stuff

What bad exactly? Using single link DVI cable for monitor requiring other one? :-)

and no visual talks yet, no popper insight on color/calibrating/response time, ect

I think that guys talked about it. Nothing very fancy here, ruitine stuff.

Response time in kind of our of question in last years.

Otherwise you can find gamers talking shit out of this monitors, for hundreds of pages and thousands of posts. You know, they are fun guys, you have to have too much spare time to play games in the first place.

• There is a definite issue with these panels and 'some' GFX cards. ATI 5xxx doesn't show POST on boot, but works fine otherwise. I know, because I have one. Essentially, it's the GFX card manufacturers fault, and I'm lead to believe most cards 'released' (not produced) within the last year should have no problem with it.

• i7-3770K/ATI 5870/Apple 27"/10.8.1 Hackintosher here and I can confirm that nothing shows up on my screen till OS X boots, and even then it looks like parboiled ass till I sleep then wake. If I need to diddle BIOS I must attach another DVI-ready monitor to the 5870's 2nd DVI connection.

• @Shaveblog

It is ok behaviour, as this monitors do not have LSI to support text and intermediate modes.
    They are made to work in native resolution.

• Yes comrade, like all good Hackintoshers I keep a cheap DVI LCD and PS2 keyboard under the desk for BIOS/OC dicking. Small price to pay for 17,000 Geekbench for under a grand.

• All is not well with my Crossover 27Q. It makes a high pitch noise when the screen is white. I made a recording for the eBay seller:

Hopefully, we can work something out...