Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cheap 27" 2560x1440 monitors based on S-IPS panels
  • 163 Replies sorted by
  • There have been some reports of noise, AFAIK it has not been determined whether that is a brand, board or batch issue. After sifting through the reviews, I did go for the Catleap with no speakers specifically to have a better chance of a quiet monitor. Mine is silent. However, a high pitched noise is usually fixable, and some electrical grade silicon (no acid) on the coils or whatever is making the noise (probe with a rubber eraser)--if you can locate the source can reduce or eliminate it.

• @DrDave Thanks for the tip. I found some more information here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1228062/achieva-shimian-monitor-club/20#post_16787973

This method has mostly eliminated the noise. I have to really concentrate to hear it. Globbing epoxy on those points isn't pretty, but it helped.

• I would not have used epoxy, but hey, if it works don't mess with it!

• I guess hot glue will also do the trick.

• @DrDave Yeah, I was skeptical, but I had some epoxy plastic bonder in the house and said F it. Electrical grade silicon was not as accessible :-P

@tonalt Hot glue should probably work fine. I can't say for sure.

Just be careful if you open it up. The Crossover has some thin cables running between the chasis and panel that could easily be damaged.

• For those DIYers who don't want to buy electrical grade silicon, you can use GE II in a pinch. It has much less acid, and the acid is gone after a day or so. I would not plop it on my mics, but for everything else it is a reasonable substitute. Many epoxy types are used in high temp industrial work, so it isn't a bad choice at all, just not flexible. Don't use ones that have a lot of metal in them. I use silicon to dampen the shells of microphones, and on anything that buzzes.

• How about just ask seller for replacement. I mean specific board that makes noise?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yeah, I'm talking to the seller. They are dragging their heals.

@DrDave Good advice, I will pick some up to have around in the future.

Update: The seller compensated me $50 for my trouble.

• Has anyone had a problem with these (acheiva shimian) waking up from computer sleeping with a snowy screen? desktop display is there, but whole screen is snowy. only after computer sleeps then wakes, and is corrected by unplugging minidisplay connection. I am using with a macbook pro (2009) via (usb) powered minidisplay port to dual link DVI adapter...

• Have had zero issues on my Catleap, by "waking from sleeping" is one of those things controlled by the computer. Sound like a USB issue, whether the USB connection is powered down when sleeping.

• @DrDave (and others?) apart from the inbuilt speakers what is the difference between:

1. the Shimian monitor Vitaliy has linked to at the start of this thread
    2. Catleap Q270 SE

I also noticed a Catleap Q270 SEi ... I guess the "i" means that there is a lower standard for dead pixels, which means the lower cost?

Also, how does one tell if a Catleap (or any other monitor) is "glass" version that you (@DrDave) reported being happy you didn't get?

• Also, what in the world does "d-sub" mean for some of these Shimian monitors?

• @qwerty123

d-sub means vga connector.

All you really need is DVI :-)

As for other thing, it is better to ask sellers.

• Many people who have these monitors have only one brand, so it is difficult to compare the different models. The glass option, you have to order it. You won't get it unless you order it; the glass is not a deal breaker, it simply may have a few dust particles trapped under it, and possibly adds to the reflections a bit.

I ordered the Catleap because I guessed that it was less likely to have buzz issues. For the same reason, I did not order any extra options. I figured extra circuits, like an audio amp and speakers, extra converters for video, extra wires, would simply degrade the signal path or add electrical interference. I judged that complaints about the stand were not substantial. However, I don't have several to compare side by side.

Dead pixels: this is the classic crapshoot. If dead pixels is going to bother you, I honestly recommend getting something you can return. Mine has zero dead pixels, but if there was a tiny pixel somewhere, well, let's just say that on my video cam that is a real annoyance, but on the monitor, who gives a FF. It is so cheap, just enjoy that it is cheap.

• Just ordered a Shimian from dhsummer about a week ago, paid for it via paypal... and no response from the seller: no shipping confirmation or tracking number. Sent one message a couple of days ago, and no response. Just sent another today, and said if I don't hear response by Monday that I will be canceling order.... just FYI. Has anyone had experience with this seller?

• @qwerty123

Just check his feedback.
    Sometimes this sellers can be away, or some new sales girl can act strange.

I think it is always best idea to make ebay dispute first.

• I got mine from green-sum, many have ordered from bigclothcraft.

• Just received word from the seller. Apparently, a manufacturer told them to not ship the newest batch he received because of some defects. He said he I could either wait till next week or have my order cancelled. I cancelled my order, and placed an order with green-sum instead. Better seller ratings, so hopefully better service (even though a little more expensive).

• Just got a shimian from green-sum... and the blacklight bleed is just AWFUL! Don't know what the deal is... but I'd thought I would report it here just as an FYI... I really don't want to have to send the monitor back to korea... :-/

• @qwerty123

Can you make some pictures or short video?

• Here are some pics. One of the was shot with the lights in the room off. In general, I notice the bleeding when I'm playing back a movie / when the screen is black in the corners, etc... The bleeding is on the bottom / bottom-left.

greensum_01.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 58K
    greensum_02.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 91K
    photo.JPG
    960 x 720 - 214K
  • @qwerty123

Got it. I think it is just panel mount. You can check huge topics in gamers forums or any topic that deals with backlight issues due to panel mount.

• Hmm... yes, I saw this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1291774/guide-adding-screws-to-the-achieva-shimian-to-fix-back-light-bleed

I don't like the prospect of having to disassemble part of the monitor :-/

• @qwerty123

Sending it back is worse :-) Unscrewing few things is really not a big deal.

After big price drops on TVs and monitors similar issues arise constanty for almost all brands.

• Sometimes you can fix bleed problems with black electrical tape.