Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Peeking Baby! How about not just a better 3" display, but removable and you can mount it on the top like a red.,

• already the GH2 consumer camera kill every panasonic avcpro cameras... like GH2 is on weight for Red Epic's ring

THE QUESTION: Is panasonic ready for the hollywood screen?. my guess is yes, but if they do so they have to say Good Bye to all their camera ranges.... we already know that channels are still using camcorder for broadcasting: documentaries, shows.... (BY EXEMPLE panasonic hvx200)

in my guess panasonic should chance their mentality if is the case... GH3 would be sold like cookies :D

• The only thing I think is highly likely to improve on the GH3 is the screen/EVF, and obviously an AVCHD upgrade to include 60fps at 1080p. The NEX cameras sit right in GH3 territory, and they have some VERY nice viewfinders. My guess is, Panasonic will certainly be improving theirs on the GH3. Honestly, its so up in the air until it actually comes out. With hacking, so much depends on the sensor. The GH2's sensor luckily is KILLER for video work, but who knows if the GH3 sensor will still be as good. You never know if some little thing will change that could mess things up.

• Small things like a proper eyecup holder... they gotta pay attention to fine details. No I'm not getting gh3 anytime soon.

• How likely is it the GH3 will be as hackable as the GH2? As someone looking to buy a new camera for filming, the GH2 has really caught my eye, so the question becomes Buy Now or Wait.

• @ChainsawFilms Depends on a lot of factors, such as how much you can make with the camera during that time. If you are buying it for personal and unpaid work, then a wait and see approach may make sense - the GH2 will likely come down in price at the very least after the launch of GH3 and the GH3 itself may warrant purchase.

But if you have jobs lined up that you could use the GH2 for and do not have equipment at that level yet, then the GH2 is a relatively small investment that can pay for itself rapidly, long before the expected GH3 release. Note, that is if you get the jobs: it does not matter how much the work could pay you if you are not getting it.

Hope that helps. :)

• Thanks :) Alas I only make short films as a hobby, never as a paying gig. But then maybe a camera such as a GH2 would help me get paid work :)

• @ChainsawFilms Then I might wait - you should be able to get a better deal (either a better camera or a lower price) when the GH3 comes out. Depends on whether you want the best deal or want to start working with a better camera as soon as possible. :)

• Patience is not really my strongest attribute :) Waiting is tempting, but you start thinking 6 months until it launches, maybe hard to get for a few months. Without being hacked it's unlikely to hit GH2 encoding standards out of the box, so maybe a longer wait then. Could be a year of waiting all of a sudden.

May be best to bite the bullet, get a camera now, and see where things are in a years time :)

• realistic best case scenario for the GH3?

• 4:2:0 but without banding and faults color issues
    • less rolling shutter (I don't belief they will have a global shutter ready this year)
    • improved ISO performance
    • faster sd-card slot

and there will be a shit load of new gimmicks nobody ever asked for and nobody will ever use. And, of cause, they will claim to have the speediest auto focus system in the world that one can disable.

• A GH3 (or GH2 rev.) >= 96fps, I would buy in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm with @zigizigi and @apriori. Global shutter, greater latitude, 4:2:2, would be great but I would probably just add another GH2 to the mix, especially if the price keeps coming down.

• i think Panasonic will do like canon 5d mark3 ,Gh3 will improve high iso, picture quality and function. AVCH2 28mbit and possible 60p 18mbit. No improve image quality of video. Af200 whit the GH2 sensor and better low light and 5000$ 6000$ price.] GH2 already have very good video ,panasonic will improve in a large body.

• To get me personally to buy a AF-200 for $5000 it would have to have:

-4:2:2 10-bit color

-60fps at the least (96fps preferable) over-cranking

-100mb/s Intra frame

It may sound crazy to some... but this really isn't that technically difficult. It may be in terms of marketing... but tough luck Panasonic. You and the other big guys dug yourselves into this hole with all that product tearing over the last 10 years. It's going to take allot to get people to justify "professional" gear again. Time to step it up!

1. 1080/60p
    2. Peaking
    3. P-log - flat profile no sharpening
    4. Tethering, like Canon and Nikon
    5. Higher res EVF and LCD
    6. In camera stabilization like Olympus
  • @disneytoy

1 yes

5 yes

6 no

• I'd like to see 422, but I agree they'll keep the more professional upgrades for the AF200 (or something more expensive).

• Cool if the double SDXC slots in true!

• if the 43 rumor true, it's hardly a reason to upgrade.

• true 1080 60p would be not so bad! The question is if they can fix their color/gamma issue. I guess Panasonic has to rework its color math from scratch.

• Spec-wise it looks good... finally, they've put in better LCD and frame rates.

Wish they would add peaking... and I would be 100% happy.

• 1080 60p and a better LCD would be a blast

• Would have expected 28Mbps as per the AVCHD 2.0 specification, not 24Mbps as stated.

• All I need is a electronic first curtain shutter for astrophotography, 1080p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 120 FPS, and 480p @ 440 FPS. Mix that with the 35-100mm lens and I would be a happy camper.

• wish to have

-10bit 422 color

-mov direct record

-30fps @ 2,5K

-60fps @ 1080p

-120fps @ 720p

-bitrates up to 100mbit/s

-in body stabalizer

-timelaps modus like the gopro has

• +1 on focus peaking

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions