Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • Looks pretty killer. Shorter flange distance would've been nice -- does it cost money to join the m4/3 consortium? I suppose it must. That mount seems somewhat more sensible to me, but EF is ok.

I know video folk are generally pretty dismissive about stereo jacks, but dual 1/4" plugs doesn't really sound like a liability to me, as long as the sound hardware is good.

• It's a nice start, but the sample footage (http://vimeopro.com/johnbrawleytests/blackmagic-cinema-camera/video/40390150) doesn't look any better than a hacked GH2 - which just dropped in price to $599

Great idea, but not sold on it. Maybe the next one will be better.

• Fantastic innovation from an Aussie Company, this is the big wake up call to all the majors.

• See some pics of the cam with Canon 70-200. Know it's auto focus, but will BM Cinema cam control the iris?

• I've sold and used BM products and they do deliver what they promise and are usually pretty prompt.

As a registered BM user, I got an email from them today and one of the last lines in the email is "We expect to start shipping in volume in July for $2,995. "....

• Now we are talking, not that BS 8bit 4:2:0 fullhd from 15K canon. Just remember one thing Black magic, uses to make things incomplete, so that you have to buy more stuff to get them working properly so is better to wait and see some reviews concerning battery times and ssd recording times, lens prices because it may just jump into de 5k mark or more before you know. Just an advise.

In spite of that this is kick ass, if the image is razor sharp no aliasing, no rolling shutter jello stuff, no strobe in high shutter and panning. Than it may be THE cam (like Vitaly says) we are all waiting for shooting short movies or indie films. keep in mind this is not a point and shoot, you will spend many ours grading, as the image is unusable from camera, is raw. For that you can have a the latest Sony sub 10,000.

I would be worried if i were, Canon, Red, Sony, if this does what it promises and do it right it will sell like nothing else. And they will all jump into second level, specific needs, in this price point and well above.

• @shian I agree the footage doesn't look that great, but it's going to be far more gradeable than GH2 which falls apart very quickly. Also this would be killer for greenscreen work where uncompressed or raw is much more preferable. I think the DR is much better than the GH2. I was specifically thinking the waves were really detailed in terms of the whites not clipping etc. Some shots looked not so good in terms of highight clipping and some stuff was pretty noisy but this is version 1.0 and it's a pretty amazing start

• but dont forget sony fs700 is 1080p without external RAW recorder .... so its not sub 10000$ 4K camera....and dont expect to get one for less than 5000$

• @shian wrote - It's a nice start, but the sample footage doesn't look any better than a hacked GH2 - which just dropped in price to $599

I don't know that I would make any real determinations about Image Quality from one Demo. Also one of the key features is what can be done with the footage when it comes to color grading!!! Also keep in mind that it's usually users that have their hands on cameras for a while who figure out the best way to get the best footage from cameras. Lot's of real world use and tweaking often reveals a lot more from cameras. I'm very much intrigued by this camera and can't wait for more real world footage to come out.

• I didn't say it sucked. But it's not blowing my mind just yet.

• I just ordered it. I told the rep if they genlock it, I'll want 6

I have become a BMD fan boy over the last 2 years .. huge fan since they signed a partnering style deal with AVID. I use an ATEM switcher, there hyperdeck recorders, their rack monitors, several of their mini converters ..

The only non BMD products in my setup are an AJA Gen10, and a Datavideo talkback system.

I am surprised that AVID or Sony have not bought BMD

• Reading the specs carefully it really sounds amazing, let me just do amazing twice. Its all about how it performs now, wait for footage and reviews.

Nice times though few years ago we had SD (720x480) 4:2:0 8bits into MiniDV with like 6 stops of dynamic range for 7k, ouch someone feeling ripped off...

• The DP who tested the cam and provided footage says that a m4/3 mount might be in the works!!

• This camera in this configuration is totally useless: Every 90 minutes of shooting, you have to stop the production for 2 hours to recharge the battery... This is a joke...

• I am so excited!!! This looks like the most promising advance in indie production since the GH13 hack. I cant wait to order one!!! I think I will wait a bit maybe december 2012 to buy one but its on my list! cant wait!

• @terry2 it has an a/c adapter attached to it in the engadget pics, no need for stopping to recharge

• @terry2, The AC/DC adapter is a low voltage lower wattage DC plug. Far before the release your biggest problem in the camera powering will be choosing between a dozen manufacturers offering v-mounts and T-mounts and many copy cats from china. If the power suply is your main concern you are fine. Go buy it now.

• @terry2 I really hate how the battery works too. I also wish that it had an HDMI instead of SDI. @formula_swim is right, if you go onto the BM website (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/models/) and look at the 'connection diagram' it has a 12V-30V power jack, that works for me.

• Things to remember. Raw is unprocessed. Even when we dial down contrast, saturation and noise reduction. The GH-2 is still doing some. When I watch reviews comparing newer cameras Mark II vs. Mark III, etch and they compare noise at high ISO, it may be better or more noise reduction being applied.

• @kavadni

where and how did you pre-order it??? I can't find it at any of the resellers...

• @Greek_m43 I was just checking at that... No hdmi out means no wifi broadcast to the director monitor.

• Very interesting cam. You can add BM SDI --> HDMI Converter and run it from same power source. ;-)

• I just rang local dealer, and said get one, he said OK. I have to pick up some headset cables later today, shall see what else he can tell me about it.

I believe in Black Magic .. I am not surprised it's BMD. They have a look good products. I have 12 of their products, and I am happy with them all.

• Well, I guess I'll order 3 then lol Anyhow, I still love my gh2. I am so glad I cancelled my Scarlet order when it first came out...

• I don't actually care if the IQ is all that great, since most end users can't tell the difference between video from a P&S and a GH2. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it has the LL ability, dynamic range and lack of aliasing of the HF G10, plus raw and post options. But what I do care about, is that out of nowhere this company just lays this product down and sends the big manufacturers RUNNING for the hills. A great moment. Priceless. Epic. And what will shake out of all this, is better cams from all the companies. No more vaporware BS. No more delaying features for years to force people into a buy-one-a-tear cycle. Battery design does not seem like the product of a competent design team. We shall see!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions