Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • I am hopefull that they will upgrade firmware on the hyperdeck studio and shuttle to allow recording of the 2.5K RAW formats .. maybe the ATEM switcher too .. it would be cool if I could switch RAW 2K .. might be a little hopefull there.

• @DrDave, BMD has been around for a long time, over last 3 years they have been buying other companies and building a technology base. I would disagree they have come from nowhere.

• @DrDave, This camera and BMD did not come out of nowhere. In fact as long as the BMD Shuttle has been around ( long time by digital calendar ) the idea of turning it into a Camera has been discussed in various circles. The BMD's Shuttle has been a pillar in recording and encoding technology. This camera as much as it is a pleasant surprise it is far from coming from no where. Doctors of this industry can find many shared DNA strands between the BMD Shuttle and this camera.

• They finally show the Kings naked. $1600 of software says that this camera costs twice a GH2, we have to wait all the limitations that this may bring, but it is already a nice statement against the greedy of the big corporations. What is interesting for me of this camera is the dynamic range it has. I think all Brawley's videos want just to show this incredible extension. None of my cameras can do that. 13 steps of light is something we never had before in this price range and this makes things look like very different.

bm.PNG
    954 x 540 - 862K
  • I fully expected that if we were gonna see something like this it would be from a smaller company that doesn't have a pro video camera division to protect. We all know that the tech is there to create such a camera and it's not like you have to do all the R&D yourself, cuz there are so many companies that make processors independent of the big 4. It only takes the drive and determination to make such a product. I'm excited about the product.

BMD showed a lot with the Hyperdeck Shuttle and quick update of that product. They quickly adopted Thunderbolt technology. In every instance they've been very progressive. I hope it's a big success. Saving up now for one and by the time I have the money all will be known.

• So for those that have already ordered, who did you go through? Seems like they don't sell directly through their site, but through all the standard vendors, b&h / Adorama etc. Whose the best bet for scoring one on the first release wave? B&H have screwed me before on pre-orders only to get suckered into a waiting game.

• Seriously I'm in awe how people are not impressed even with the little footage that's out right now. No it does not look like ultra high-res sharpened video from the likes of the FS100 etc, this looks far more like film than any other digital camera I've seen. In fact, it actually reminds me a lot of the gh2 using a softer lens / filter combo to get more of the film type look, but with outstanding DR. This is essentially the gh2 with 12bit and amazing DR... I don't know how everyone cannot be excited as hell for this. This is pretty much my dream camera starting right fucking now... I will be rocking a permanent hard on until this thing is in my hands... July can't come soon enough.

• @Giovassi Good screen grab. I agree that this is the thing that sets this camera apart. You cannot get this sort of latitude with the GH2, shadows are too baked in and here you can see detail in the highlights and shadows.

• @L1N3ARX that made me laugh out loud. I agree though. People really need to put this into perspective. It's knocked it out of the park and I believe that this will be one of the highlights of what is shaping up to be a killer year at NAB.

• I do agree about the battery though. Every camera known to man changes batteries. I can't name a single stills or moving camera that doesn't. Oh yes wait the iPhone!

• Does anybody else feel we a finally starting a new chapter in camera history? The manufacture of digital cameras has evolved now to the point where proprietary camera systems will now be forced to compete with the "open source" nature of parts and firmware.

As computers at one time were very much a proprietary type of product which precluded any type of real customization, along came windows and made it possible to use a combination of many different parts from different companies and assemble your very own custom computer.

Within 5 years I predict Vitaliy will be leading the field in creating an open source firmware, a kind of "windows" if you will, operating broadly on a variety of different components which will enable the average techie to completely customize and build their very own camera. You'll be able to go to newegg, and select the top sensors from Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc, custom housings, boards, components ... you name it, everything required to build a fully functional digital cinema camera. Seriously, I can feel it... it's gonna happen. Our kids will laugh at the thought that we depended on overly priced / artificially restricted camera technology released at the whims of giant corporations to get the latest and greatest. /rant

• @rsquires But, at least it has a 12v-30v DC port for external battery power, and a 12v AC adapter for constant external power included with the purchase. It's not like we're going to be stuck using only the internal battery.

• @L1N3ARX "I will be rocking a permanent hard on until this thing is in my hands..."

You and I both...

• Just goes to show that we aren't the only people in the world that think that the progress of Cinema Cameras is lethargic! BMD had to 'make there own'... I would 'LOVE' to be a fly on the wall in Sony, Panny, etc board rooms now! Any downfall parodies yet??

• @alcomposer > Any downfall parodies yet??

I'm onto it :-)

• One accessory is available 'grips'. You can see in one of the pictures and listed at bottom of pages

• Hopefully this marks the beginning of the end of technological exclusivity in the creation of film. Too long have artists and storytellers had to settle for less and literally build their own rigs to make something happen at an industry standard because of budget constraints. Creativity is useless unless it is shared. Vitaley proved that with his brilliant hack, and look how many he set free creatively! I applaud Blackmagic Design for what they've done and what they have now set out to do... May the other companies take note.

• @Rambo- Who do you think should be 'Hitlers' character? Sony? Panny? Red?

• @alcomposer "Who do you think should be 'Hitlers' character? Sony? Panny? Red?"

Canon... definitely canon... ;)

I don't think we need to rag on Red that hard. I believe they honestly just over-extended themselves with the Scarlet concept... they're not trying to intentional screw us like the other guys are.

• @alcomposer if we assume Hitler just purchased one of each from the war budget and has nothing left to spend on a BMD then we will be on the right track. But maybe the best video to parody is the Digital Bolex interview with Miss Hipster.!!

• @kavadni @010101 It's their first camera, and no one knew it was coming. If Intel came out with a camera like this, it would be a shocker, and they have way more manufacturing and technical expertise, plus zillions of dollars. The fact that BM did this is way more impressive. I mean, this is a fully grown video camera. Holy Cow. However, I predict it won't be the huge IQ boost. Foveon had better tech compared to other sensors, but only marginally better IQ, plus LL problems. Let's see some serious clips. @L1N3ARX I think we may be at a point where small companies can roll their own, good point. However, I would be surprised if it is much better than the G10, which has great dynamic range, focus tracking, etc. Of course, interchangeable lenses......

IQ----I was just at the beach with my trusty GH2 and the 20mm, and I just took some casual video--looked way sharper than what I saw in those clips, plus those clips look processed to me. I HOPE it is a truly awesome cam. Show me something that beats driftwood or flowmotion, and I'll be there, cash in hand.

• @Kevin "-plans for firmware update that will do 60fps"

Oh man... I hope so. 60fps is almost a must for me. I'd even pay $500-$800 for a 60fps upgrade. Hopefully they'll just be able to do something like cranking at 60fps, but writing 24 frames. That would be totally fine. No need to record an actual 60fps stream.

• BlackMagic is no new kid on the block. I always like their high specs low cost appeal.

If there's an option for camera color, I would like mine in raw PINK.

• Fixed battery is a huge bummer. Also hate to send in camera if the battery needs replacing. They are not huge so don't have service centres everywhere.

And it only lasts 90 min. When I'm out and about, 90 min. is really short. Meaning you always need an external pack. Should have been at least a 3 hour battery. Remember, after 2 years, you get maybe 80% capacity left, so that leaves you with only 60-70 min.

• @John_Farragut

Remember, after 2 years, you get maybe 80% capacity left, so that leaves you with only 60-70 min.

After two years, you’ll have exhausted the capabilities of this camera and buy the next gen.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions