Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • Let's start a tally on recommended lenses for this camera. I have seen many posters on the web saying Tokina 11-16 was made for BMD CineCam ( is this the real commercial title for this cam ? ) That said I wished there was a way they get persuaded to give us m4/3 as an option. Wide angle is going to be tough in existing configuration.

• I was also suspecting that might see something like this from GoPro, after that Cineform acquisition...

Or from Atmos. I'm just glad we're seeing it though. I don't think we'd ever see something like this from the big guys... never. $15,000 for 8-bit 4k? No thanks. What a joke the other offerings have been for this year... well, besides the F700. That one gets a pass. Barely.

• Finally, a revolution, innovative and something fresh, a real camera at very good price tag.

• im sending everyone i know at nab to this booth so they can skype me in... this is really exciting.

• @Kevin

Get them all around camera and let them shout loudly "give us m43 mount" at the same time :-)

• from the pictures it looks like 3 mounting options baked into the top of the camera????

• The interview posted above makes reference to their resellers having pre-orders available now.

I've checked out coremicro, full compass, adorama, and bhphotovideo for pre-order options, but none of them have the camera yet...

Can anyone shed a little light on pre-order options?

Thanks.

• what about EVF options? i personally cannot shoot like this..

• @rozroz

Any HD-SDI screen or EVF must be ok. May be they'll come with HDMI option or small converter.

• I'm watching a video above.

The the Rep said it was micro4/3 sensor?

This has 13 stops. If it is M43, how many companies produce this size? Panasonic, and who else?

I think 2.5K is perfect for the next 1-2 years. Modern computers already support 2.5k displays. Now we have plenty of headroom for stabilization and cropping without loosing resolution. And the bandwidth isn't as much trouble as 4k-6k RAW.

• @disneytoy didn't he say "four thirds"? anyhow, here are the companies involved in the system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system#Four_Thirds_system_companies

• absolutely great i think around 2k its more than enough for normal use and even cinema. 3,4,3,6k is overdoing it, so true raw 12 bit and else is what we needed hope this changes other company's view, i guess vitaliy you weren't far away with your post about future camera raw.

btw they are saying in the interview its a 4/3 sensor, why not add 4/3 mount!

• When asked what kind of sensor it is, the rep says 4/3 (4/3-ish w/ that ballpark hand gesture) then quickly changes the subject to mounts and touch screen capabilities. lol. Wonder who makes the sensor.

• @flyguy Mac Business Solutions 1-888-354-0100
    My seller just got the SKU and I ordered the very first one from him.... Ask for Robbie

The workflow is what does it for me!

• Rep on the floor wouldn't say much about the sensor. When asked whether it was CMOS, he said he couldn't comment because they're under an NDA from the mfr. Battery is not removable. U.S. units serviced in Santa Barbara.

• I think he meant 4.3 aspect ratio. Look at the spec of the sensor it is much more square and they are windowing it to 16.9

• The fixed internal battery is a big big problem. I think they should review this option because it makes the camera completely unusable for people outside USA. Do you see yourself sending your 3k camera every year around the globe to get a new battery!!!

• @bwhitz, New GoPro camera features cater to pro content creators incl. 35 Mb H264, cinestyle look, easier workflow integration in next model.

• i am on the phone with a friend at the booth

-no plans for pl mount

-plans for firmware update that will do 60fps

-no hdmi option

• im not sure but i think its a CCD sensor... i can see some blooming in Beach Dusk video... a the beginning in car headlights ....

• I think this is truly fantastic. Gamechanger gets bandied about so often now but this is absolutely what this camera is. Forward thinking for a new generation of filmakers. After the disappointment of the 5D Mark III's crippled update, this is amazing. I don't care about 4k and nor should anyone who isn't at the bleeding edge of cinema production. 4k workflow is just too crippling at the current time unless you throw masses of very expensive resources at it. Also this trounces the rather outré Digital Bolex which was at best only a sensor and some electronics in a shoebox. The footage shown is not from the manufacturer it is from a great DOP in Aus who has been asked to shoot some home movies with it. That's all he can show but there will be more stuff that I am sure will blow us away. But the most significant thing about this and what you have to remember when you complain about this and that is that this is a camera that can shoot raw with 13 stops of latitude, it comes bundled with Resolve and Ultrascope, looks incredibly sexy, for $2995.00 and it's only version 1.0!!!! It's seriously blown my mind to be honest. Imagine the greenscreen keys you could get off this.

• wow, game changer for sure.. Cant wait to see some low / no compression samples from this.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions