Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • @zinin Nicely done. I enjoyed it. Wow pretty girls.

As long as the lighting isn't so horrible, GF2's automatic mode usually nails the exposure correctly to maximize dynamic range. Many times better than my manual settings on GH2. In low lighting, the iA mode does the wonder. As @Rambo and others discovered, it's not always about high bitrate. Good stabilization helps capture good details. Looking forward to seeing more footages!!!

• @Ebacherville I use setb.ini from @stonebat from first message in this topic.
    Settings on camera: (To preserve details in the shadows) Rec Mode -> My Color -> Cust: Color: -3 Saturation: -2 Contrast: -5 Manual Focusing and Aperture on 50mm lens. No more action in post-processing.

In next time I try to lock shutter to 1/60 in the menus under Flicker Reduction. And use polarization filter.

• @ zinin, what patch setting did you use?, good looking footage for 30mbps stuff, did you do anything besides magic bullet to the footage? like sharpening of any sort etc.

• Great video, zinin. I watched it to the end. Very nice. Each shootage / cut isn't longer than about 3 seconds. Is that right? Seems to be a good way to keep the viewer interested.

Thanks for sharing.

• @AlbertZ pancake 14mm with flycam nano and nikon 50mm 1.4

• @zinin Very good footage, perhaps the best I have ever seen on GF2. I think that your footage could beat canon 7d/60d/550d (and they cost at least twice than GF2).. What lens have you used? Kit 14-45? Or panny 20 mm? I find that stabilization is very good too. It's common to get very shaky video made with GFx cameras on vimeo, however, I think that it's due to the fact that many GF2 owners are just amateurs. What kind of stabilization/rig have you used?

• Patch from first message. (30MB/s) Color grading in Magic Bullet Looks.

• @pvdog, any news on your patch (settings) ?

• We have our feature film shoot underway with GF2 running 40 mbits. Awesome footage - very happy. Shooting mostly in "magic hour" for the superb light. Patch is "PVDOG".

I use a monopod a lot - and find it important to keep auto stabilization on.

• Some test results -1080i60 - SanDisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s

Originally posted here: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/57502#Comment_57520 , this topic might be more appropriate.

Average bitrate (bps):

Sanity 5 - 20.5M

Flow Motion 1.11 - 29.7M

cbrandin 44 - 33M

Cluster v1 - 33M

Cake 2.2 - 48.6M

PVdog - 45.5M

Sedna AQ1 C - 87M

Mysteron - 81M

Mysteron Burst - 59.4M (low detail scene)

Orion v4b - 90M

Canis Majoris DayPM - 79.6M

Canis Majoris Night - 81.8M

Canis Majoris SkinTone Soft - 83.5M

EDITS: adding stuff as I test it

I spent hours analyzing screen grabs from all these and my conclusions are: All intra settings will give you about 91Mbps which does NOT translate into any better resolution or image quality, very often image quality actually deteriorates in high detail scenes.

All my tests are done @ 1080p30, your bitrates will be higher at 1080p25.

FlowMotion1.11-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    Cake2.2-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    pvdog-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronStandard-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    SednaAQ1-C-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 52K
    MysteronBurst-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 48K
    Sanity5-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 46K
    Orion_v4b-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    CanisMajoris-DayPM-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 54K
    CanisMajoris-Night-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    CanisMajoris-SkinTonesSoft-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    cbrandin44-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 55K
    Cluster-v1-gf2.PNG
    746 x 412 - 50K
  • cake 2.3 is working great on the gf2, I wished the gh2 had also a higher and a lower HBR setting FSH/FH

• cake is now at 2.2... going to have to try that , I liked cake 2.1 VPdog and cake have been my favorites on the GF2 for patches that span.

• Hi, I'm using the pvdog patch on my gf2; for now seems very good! a question, which program you use for editing the gf2 hacked file and preserve the quality of the 44mbit file? thanks!

• Balazers cake 2.2 spans also on GF2 FSH (55MBps) Sandisk 32GB Extreme - great patch for that little camera! http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2123/gh2-cake-v2.2-reliability-and-spanning-in-720p-hbr-24p-and-vmm-at-2-2.5x-stock-bit-rates/p7

• @klifex youtube: "This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. " USA

• @itscehris seems there are at least two different sandisk 30mb/s cards (ultra, extreme) and also seems to be an extreme 45mb/s card. (Links to amazon product pages) I think any of the above are considered good, but also seems like there are many varieties of legit and also fakes, so it may be best to research specifics a bit and buy from a reputable seller.

• itscehris, yes good card, if its a legit Sandisk card

• Will a Sandisk 16GB 30mb a good card to purchase for a GF2 hack?

• i used hybrid LPowell's Flow Motion and Balazer's Cake patches settings. it's 37 mbps, noticed great low light effects, low artifacts if only u use large aperture lens F < 1.8 anything above it will be compensate by iso and you'll see artifacts starts jumping out. however, the 720p @ 25mbps cannot be play back in the camera..still figure not how to fix the bugs

• @klifex, great quality, which patch/settings did you use ?

• GF2+ Sigma 30mm F1.4 at 37mbps.

• Nice looking stuff AndyS, I'll second that it would be cool to see a film or even a short made on a little camera like the GF line, just to show off what these budget cameras can do once hacked.. it is amazing the quality of footage that can be had from these $200 cameras. Also throw that footage in the GF2 footage topic also.