Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • the gh2 sensor is the same size like the GF2:

Nope, because text is - 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
    In 16:9 aspect size is different.

• GF2 32Mbps AQ4 GOP15, 1080i60, Leica 25mm 1.4 DG, hand-held, "interlaced" frame capture from MPlayerX

Looking sharp enough to me.

00009_Feb 29, 2012 10.24.15 PM.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • Simple comparison - GF1 (hacked: MPEG upscaled from 720p - 50mbits ) vs GF2 (not hacked, AVCHD FHD). Hope this help.

gf2-vs-gf1.jpg
    1043 x 1080 - 437K
  • *** NEW **** Driftwood Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' CBR and VBR versions NOW AVAILABLE from page one of the Quantum thread. Exciting new hybrid matrix of Panasonic's GH2 and Panasonic's AVC-Intra. New GOP6 and GOP9 on 720p50/60 structures utilising B frames. Rebuilt 'GOP Related' settings for correct b frames under 720p with Encoder 1 720 =3 correlation. Looks good on initial test. All settings should work including EX Tele and spanning. multi-tested on @stray 's death colour chart.

NOTE: There are two versions available of this setting. One constant bitrate CBR style and the other VBR variable bitrate according to detail.

Both settings should be tested on the GF2.

Find them here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-%CE%B2-pictoris-out-now/p1

• @driftwood did your GF2 arrive yet???

• @driftwood: Thanks for your hard work. I'll try these out on my GF2 this weekend and will report back soon.

• @lukasz_mobi thx a lot! That is impressive. Just about to sell my GF1 and ordered a GF2 (for very cheap 265€ including 14-42) Will test the new settings as soon as cam arrives

• @duartix would this be adequate, played in a loop for stress testing?

Just looking for some consistency in my testing

• What happened, people lost hope?

• I am confused..my GF2 arrived, wanted to download and test the "ini". Seems, that in post #1 are updated versions. Which one is the correct one?

• Quantum X v5b 'Pictoris' VBR - Hybrid matrix is Good

• I don't think hope for the GF2 should be lost, quality of this video is Really nice Shoutout to @kavadni....

My opinion is maybe we should try the camera with different lenses? Maybe you guys will find the quality your looking for. The 14-42mm from the looks of it isn't such a great lens in my opinion but maybe if you switched it with a wide aperature MF Lens + Any Patch = Best Quality.

Another Great video with the hacked GF2

Still waiting on more videos

• Minor hack -avg bitrate 45mbps -GOP3 (can last for 36mins sharp - tested-)

Here's the video captured this morning. Turn on HD for greater details (vimeo seems downgrade the quality in normal mode)

• @fesem can you attach the ini/zip file? Thanks

• @fesem, I think that looks great, good enough for a b-cam for my purposes for sure

• I uploaded 2 videos on vimeo. I am really happy with this cam:

Videogames - GF2 Hack from chrischtili on Vimeo.

Drums - GF2 Hack from chrischtili on Vimeo.

• @chrischtili something went wrong with your videos

• 45Mbps gop3 settings really make no sense. I-frame size would be very low. Just see those popular GH2 settings. They are 100Mbps gop3 or 154Mbps gop1. gop6 didn't become popular cuz GH2 firmware 1.0 was kinda unstable at gop6. Yeap P-frame got the blame. Now it's firmware 1.1. Maybe we need to rethink about high bitrates. You know... B and P frames can be good friends :)

I was glad to see @eoshd's gop6 setting, but it failed on the stress test for NTSC mode. Initially I-frames spiked up then became flat dead below 0.3MB. @eoshd, more tweaking please. Sorry I don't know how. I'm gonna revert to the fail-safe 32Mbps settings that double the default bitrates and set to maximum auto quantization.

• @gameb don't know why. Allowance was given on vimeo to embed videos here on personal-view. I changed the code..now at least the links are available.

• @stonebat What do you mean? The EOSHD GF2 HBR Patch Won't work on NTSC Camera's? I've that's the case I will be extremely disappointed. @chrischtili videos with the patch are the best GF2 Videos I've seen on the net. Keep posting more videos @chrischtili

• @chrischtili Nicely done.

@itscehris Why disappointed? It wouldn't be easy to set gop6 at 42Mbps.

• I just updated the 32Mbps settings with MJPEG timelapse settings.

See http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/42044#Comment_42044

Doubling bitrates might not sound super exciting, but I think we get a lot of gain from it. Sure the bitrates could be tripled, quadrupled, or more. But the extra gain would be very subtle. Instead of buying a couple of $200 memory cards, buying a video tripod, a shoulder rig, or a steadicam would improve the image quality. Amazon sells $59.99 chest stabilizer.

e.g. See Musgo Trailer. The director used @cbrandin's GH2 44Mbps that doubles GH2's default 24p bitrate.

Making of Musgo(part I). A bunch of cheap gears from ebay. Hey whatever works :)

Possibilities of making good stuffs with GF2? :)

• @hi1130, @gameb, @videohq please check below attachment.

@stonebat, i dont get you, you mentioned the I-frame will be low if gop3. But i get around 1.5mb for I-frame. Just for learning purpose, still new in video thingy, :)

• i'm seeing the the P-frame is much much lower than I-frame, even capturing movement. Not sure why, @@. I see videohq setting has high I and P frames.
    45mbps_GOP3_cbr.txt
    378B
    streamparser_gop3.jpg
    1297 x 683 - 298K
  • @stonebat Hi, I've played with the same setting (2fps) over the weekend. I have noticed one odd thing, though. No matter what setting I use for 480 mode (the second MJPEG setting) 480p30 width=1280 480p30 height=720 pTools (or camera) ignores it. I wanted to have 1080-2 on HB setting and 720-2 on WVGA, but I always end up with 848x480-2 no matter what I do. Where do I go wrong?

setc.ini
    364B