Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood how is the "Driftwood Stock Long" settings for GF2 doing? Did you get any feedbacks?

• @videohq mjpeg and avchd settings should be mutually exclusive

• The former is correct. They have no correlation.

• Allrighty .. 3 x GF2 loaded with cluster .. and my EX1 .. off to shoot a daytime concert .. 3 statics and me waving the EX1 around madly.

Shall see how it goes

• @kavadni, interested in how you go, GF2 as statics are my main use for this camera as well.

• I haven't looked at the footage yet. Two of the GF2 stooped recording and where woken from sleep a few times .. when I noticed .. both with the 14-42, shutter 1/50, manual focus .. they where exposed in hot sunlight

The third ran perfectly with the 20mm f1.7, 1/50, manual focus it was in shade

As all were the same hack 'cluster' .. cause .. 14-42 .. or the heat. I did this before with 2 x GF2 prehack, and 2 x 14mm f2.5 .. both ran all night

The last time I restarted one of the GF2's last song .. I went bah .. and clicked it to AI and walked away .. the camera froze with a still frame that indicated 6sec recording .. I had to pull the battery.

PAL FSH 1080, Cards where Transcend 32G .. alll GF2s where static mounted so no zooming. Hmmm .. I wonder if I turned off the OIS

It was a hot (32 Celcius) and bright day, so the iso would have been very low and the appertures tiny.

The EX1 was running at 0db and apperture virtually closed,

I'll look at it all later and post some samples

• @Rambo, I am also planning to build/acquire a set of carmounts for them .. maybe crash cam :)

• @kavadni what mode were you shooting 1080 or 720? What bitrates? I had some issues with a friends transcend card 10 32gb one day, when playing back directlty from card to macbook pro with mplayerx, footage was out of sync, that never happened to me with sandisk extreme 30mbps, transcend is obviously much slower. Always better to use reliable cards.

• @gameb .. oops 1080 .. added it above The bitrate I will let you know when I look at the clips .. I used Driftwood's Cluster v1

• My GF2 has been stable with 44000000 GOP 3 and 6 AVCHD and 1080p MJPEG, about 55Mb/s average (playing fine in camera, class-4). Very happy and going to donate (maybe to GX1 or G3 project).

I noticed an interesting thing, not sure if it is this hack related. As many filming guys suggest, I set flicker reduction to 1/50 for 25 fps. In a very bright sunny day, the first few frames are blown out as expected, but GF2 still managed immediately to get exposure under control.

So what's going on? Does GF2 adjust aperture to extreme like 1/22, or it simply ignores the flicker reduction and uses whatever shutter speed it thinks it should use to get exposure properly? Seem to me it is the latter, because, either 1/50 or not, I don't see smooth motion like film. Maybe I should get a ND filter.

• When you hit record does 1/50 appear in the LCD?
    What mode are you shooting in?

• The LCD still showed 1/50, but obviously fake, because for that kind of brightness even ISO100 and f22 gives all white at 1/50. You can easily try it by aming at a light: use M mode, f22, iso100, 1/50 and see how much over exposure it is.

For video recording, it is always video mode (fully auto), no matter what mode you select.

So, use flicker reduction has no effect unless lighting is low enough or, if too high, a proper ND filter is on.

• PVdog, i'm sure shutter locks when you enable Flicker Red (1/50), if you are using a pana lens, aperture and iso will be auto no matter what mode the camera is in when you shoot movie.

• Shutter is then unlocked as soon as the camera can not handle the light with aperture and iso.

• Is there any settings for GF2 allows 24p1080 or not? At my experience I would like buy GF2 as camera B for long shots for GH2@24p (or for timelapses) I've read the topic but after all I don't clearly understand about preferred resolution for film at pair with GH2.

• @pvdog what evidence do you have of the shutter unlocking, all my daylight footage is definatley 1/50 ? There is no strobing on any subject moving across the frame.

I'll tell you what I have found, with a manual lens (Canon FD 50) on the gf2, the ISo is disabled when the camera is in rec manual mode (m). The shutter is definately locked, changing flicker red from 1/50 to 1/120 lowers the exposure of the recorded video. Changing ISo has absolutely no effect. Interesting. More test coming.

• @Rambo, quite interesting. I can't wait to get a EF to m43 adapter for my Canon EF 50mm, and see what it's like. I like to know what you come up with.

• @stonebat, you have some manual lens, can you confirm Iso is disabled in manual mode, shutter locked with flicker red. ISo appears to be locked at 100 and only the canon aperture ring can change exposure.

• @rambo.. my observation with Minolta manual lens is:

Shutter stays locked Changing ISO had no effect on exposure

The ISO appears to stay locked from f2.8 to f8 .. at both f11 and f22 the ISO changes .. it's attempting to give me the f8 exposure .. I think

• @kavadni, yes I noticed those two little "jumps" as i adjusted the canon aperture, it seems to move then recover. Still that is a very usable range where you know shutter and Iso is locked. Maybe of interest to Vitaliy when working on the gf2 manual controls.

I wonder if this is connected to the extended iso patch?

• What evidence do you have other than the fake # on the LCD screen, to prove that shutter is really locked ? Go outside in a bright day and take a photo in M mode with iso100, f22 and 1/50, and see how's your photo look like. This is my evidence.

• @pvdog, yep just did that, still and video where exposed exactly the same. Now here's something for you to try, put a manual lens on the camera and do the same test again.

• It does not matter what lens, how can any lens be able to use shutter speed 1/50 in a bright day?

• @pvdog, mate if you don't know how to shoot 1/50 in ANY lighting conditions then i suggest you` read up on both basic video and photo exposure. 99% of people on this site shoot 1/50 or 1/60 almost exclusively.

• @pvdog: ND filters are a videographer's best friend. :)