Personal View site logo
GF2 Stable Settings
  • 614 Replies sorted by
  • Any reports back on Cluster v1 on the GF2?

• @driftwood -
    Environment:
    GF2 with kit 14-42 lens and PNY 16GB class 10 20MB pointing at 1366-768 laptop playing 3 second slideshow of stress images AFC. Card formatted and settings reset.. Card re-formatted after any error.
    driftwood cluster v1 settings applied.

1080 NTSC/FSH - Failed with Motion Recording Stopped Message after a couple minutes

720 NTSC/SH - Failed with Motion Recording Stopped Message after a couple minutes

Note: The battery needed to be pulled to regain control of the camera software after both these failures (and all similar failures I've had with other settings).

1080 NTSC/FH - Seems to work Properly

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? Unsure, did not test long enough.
    Can the file be played back on the camera? Yes, no problems observed
    Were there any errors? No.

Streamparser:

720 NTSC/H - Working, but playback on camera failed

Does the file span successfully at 4GB? Unsure, did not test long enough.
    Can the file be played back on the camera? No, read error reported
    Were there any errors? Only the playback error above.

Streamparser:

• Thanks for the test Holmes. Do you want a v2? Incidentally, I havent got a pony card to test on, my worst card is a transcend 32Gb which had no problems.

• Settings Tested:
    @videohq omgwtf
    1080 NTSC/FH

Environment:
    GF2 with kit 14-42 lens and PNY 16GB class 10 20MB pointing at 1366-768 laptop playing 3 second slideshow of stress images AFC

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? No, the recording stopped when the file reached 3.99GB
    Can the file be played back on the camera? No, blank with cannot be played message.
    Were there any errors? No

720 NTSC/SH

Results:
    Does the file span successfully at 4GB? No, the recording stopped when the file reached 3.99GB
    Can the file be played back on the camera? No, initially just after recording it, the video seemed playable, but the camera froze during attempted playback, following battery pull the preview is blank and says it cannot be played
    Were there any errors? No, only the issued noted during attempted playback.

videohq-omgwtf-1080FH.jpg
    1284 x 668 - 229K
    videohq-omgwtf-720SH.jpg
    1291 x 679 - 256K
  • @driftwood, it was stable for you on a GF2 using that card? For various reasons I've been under the impression that card/bitrate is not the limitation here despite the message on the screen, assuming you are having no problem with gf2 and a different card with the same settings, my impression is very likely wrong.

I'd be interested in trying more settings, but if the card is the problem I'd rather get a different card vs. apply lesser settings.

• @holmes6 Even though I need to get a type 6 card, your tests prove that Cluster v1 is NOT good enough. I need Cluster to work on all levels. v2 will fix this. Thanks for your testing.

• I'm selling my GF2 if anyone is interested in picking up another one to tinker with.

• So for the moment nothing really stable with 24H?

• @driftwood, Sometimes still gives me problems of memory not fast enough... kingston class10. It does it the first movie I record when I turn the camera on. When a REALLY fast memory will come I'll tell you how things really are. I hope for the end of the week.

Not selling GF2, it has the right form factor.

I'd REALLY hope for manual controls over video. And only at 2nd place for a remote shutter via usb, or a time-lapser inside the cam. NEX5b has a far better sensor, but HW problems are the same, and I prefer video results from my hacked GF2. Ergonomically flawed by design, shines when you put on all good vintage lenses.

• Ditto on the settings Stonebat posted above, the bitrate holds averages near max for most conditions. No fails even with Transcend class6 card. The 2fps mpeg TimeLapse is cool too.

I'm using this a "C" cam with 14mm pancake left running unnoticed in stealth mode at different angles to use as cut away, blends nicely with Gh13 and GH2 footage shot with other Panny lenses (20mm pancake and 14 - 140). I'm cool with locking focus and shutter and letting ISO ride, it helps smooth lighting changes when left running and unattended. Still like manual control when VK get's it done.

• @Rambo I recall that you donated, too. Finally fruition. Thanks to VK and all people who donated to GF2 hack collection. Hope G3 and GX1 users get the same joy.

• SteadyCam Smoothee with hacked GF2 bitrate (StoneBat settings)

The ISO and aperture is auto, so it compensates as the light changes, but focus and shutter is locked. Shot with 14mm pancake, no OIS,1080i @1/50, dinterlaced in Sony Vegas Pro and converted to 720p25 for vimeo, no other processing.

• @stonebat: so, in essence your settings are stable? I been trying other hacks outside of personal view.

@Rambo: with the settings of GF2, did you use the iA mode (focus/shutter/aperture locked)?

• @jayB38

Actually it's not my settings. I modified @cbrandin's 44Mbps settings for GH2. Let's just call it... the 32Mbps settings for GF2.

I don't know other settings. The 32Mbps worked and I stopped testing. Not saying it's the best, but it seems good enough for me. Gotta move on.

• @Rambo Very good stabilization. That's how to get nice details.

• No, i used Manual mode with flicker set to 1/50 so focus and shutter locked.

• How's SteadyCam Smoothee working for GF2? Easy to set it up?

• $149 Smoothee is great value if you set it up right, will also take my GH2, but Gf2 is sweet on it. Patch is completely stable all modes, i have no need for going higher. Focus was locked on infinity. When we can lock ISO it will be complete.

I just added a tiny extra weight to the bottom of the Smoothee, a half inch mechanics tool socket, about the weight of the GF2 battery.

• Great. Thanks. Have you tried a smartphone like iPhone on Smoothee? If it works both for GF2 and smartphone, that sounds like a good value. BTW very nice house you got!!!

• Notice how the last 5 secs of the video looks almost like 3D.

• Yes, i bought the GoPro model Smoothee and just fitted it with a tripod quick release. Will do Iphone > GH2 and in between.

• Good lighting, contrast, rotation movement and doubled bitrates :)

• Only other in camera setting was My Color enabled as custom, which stays enabled even in manual mode.

Color 0, Brightness, Sat -1, Contrast -1, Auto WB.

I also tried letting the shutter ride the exposure to try smooth out the light transitions but only inducted strobing. Hard to pull off a shot like this with exposure locked so has to be some auto function.

• StoneBat said > ""@Rambo I recall that you donated, too. Finally fruition."" No i didn't donate for the GF2, only the GH1 a long time ago. I should cough up again for GH2 and GF2 shouldn't I ??...actually i will, VK deserves it.