Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • @Frame Also, make sure you let the entire clip to load in QuickTime. (Watch the horizontal bar and let it fill up all the way to the right.)

• Checked some of the footage from the weekend... with the Orion v4b. @640 and 1250 iso. I think I used standard (dialed down) profile and it looked absolutely great. No traces of banding in OOF areas (although I used long dof for most shots) and primarily a 28mm Lomo (+ some shots with a 35mm zeiss flektogon - primarily macro). I hope to be able to share some samples later this week. More work to do now.

I saw some traces of red channel banding (red light on smoke, black background) although it wasn't intrusive and the noise produced from the high-ish iso in the scenes I couldn't expose to the right should be easy to remove if I want to.

Really looking forward to having a go, grading it!

• @driftwood @itimjim i have an crt monitor. ISO 160.

• @Driftwood I've re installed everything with no chance, This is what I get (VBR)--- :

Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 5.45.54 PM.png
    711 x 652 - 66K
  • i just loaded firmware 1.1 with the ISO limit removed.
    And auto quantizer set to 4 (all to detail)
    nothing else was changed in ptools.
    and did a shot with all ISO settings (the proper way because the ISO bug
    WB 2500 Kelvin
    profile nostalgic 0 0 0 -2
    noise is there and to my eyes its almost the same as with the settings from driftwood.

Its a very basic test, and must be done in a more real live shot...

iso 400 to 12800.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @terry2 Then your sd card isn't good enough for Orion. Change it.

• *** NEW *** Orion 4c with Dark Matter matrix pack. Three adjusted matrices to try out, all scaled from perceived HVS Great Quality (v1) to middle of these (v2) and perceived HVS Highest quality (v3). HVS = Human Visual System. This is sharper than the Orion matrix of yore which is still great but many of you wanted to pull out a few extra stops. Let's see if this helps YOU.

Only other changes from Orion 4b are GOP Releated, 720p is 9/6 for NTSC/PAL.

Please let me know which matrix you like.

Driftwood Quantum X (v4c Orion) CBR - Q8 - Updated 23.30pm 05032012 with the 'Dark Matter' Matrix Pack- setghi.zip
  • @Driftwood

Hi Nick, tried another test but I get a lot of banding on all lights grading and VBR. Here is the complete file analysis of mediainfo:

General / Container Stream #1 Total Video Streams for this File.................1 Total Audio Streams for this File.................1 Total Subtitle Streams for this File..............1 Video Codecs Used.................................AVC Audio Codecs Used.................................AC3 SubTitle Codecs Used..............................PGS File Format.......................................BDAV Play Time.........................................26s 365ms Total File Size...................................458 MiB Total Stream BitRate..............................145 Mbps Video Stream #1 Codec (Human Name)................................AVC Codec (FourCC)....................................27 Codec Profile.....................................High@L4.0 Frame Width.......................................1 920 pixels Frame Height......................................1 080 pixels Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps Total Frames......................................631 Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9 Scan Type.........................................Progressive Color Space.......................................YUV Codec Settings (Summary)..........................2 Ref Frames QF (like Gordian Knot)............................2.805 Codec Settings (CABAC)............................No Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................2 Video Stream Length...............................26s 318ms Video Stream BitRate..............................139 Mbps Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR Bit Depth.........................................8 bits Video Stream Size.................................437 MiB (96%) Audio Stream #1 Codec.............................................AC-3 Codec (FourCC)....................................129 Audio Stream Length...............................26s 304ms Audio Stream BitRate..............................192 Kbps Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR Number of Audio Channels..........................2 Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L R Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz Bit Depth.........................................16 bits Audio Stream Delay................................889ms Audio Stream Size.................................616 KiB (0%) Subtitle Stream #1 Format............................................PGS Codec ID..........................................144

• @Driftwood card not good? it's a brand new SanDisk 64GB xc 95MB/s class 10!

• @terry2 Then summit aint right for you. Im not getting what you get. With that card (which I have) I get sustained 147M all the time. Try the new version 4c and let me know. Also check your exposure, picture profile settings (try Nostalgia -2,-1 or -2, -2, -2)... and check things over. READ threads. I don't need your media info report - it won't help me apart from prove your bitrate.

Remember GH2 is 8 bit, 4:2:0. The matrix is doing its best to smooth out banding. You have to get exposure and ISO perfect with this camera. Experiment. Also in post your'e going to have to work a bit in the red channel - its well known that 4:2:0 is poor on the reds.

• Back to the Quicktime problem: Yes, Perian affects HBR-Transcode in Clipwrap. But even with Perian and AVCCAM uninstalled, you´ll still get choppy .mov files. Rewapped in a mov container,they play one second-stop half second-play one second ond so on... Same when being transcoded. 24P files are completely unaffected by any of those problesm regarding transcoding or simple playback. Wether it is 156mbs or lesser bitrate, CBR or VBR, Perian installed or not.

I guess, my system is fast enough: Sandisk Extreme Pro UDXC Class 10 95MB/s 64GB from an authorized Sandisk reseller. Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel Core I7( "True" QuadCores) 8GB RAM, OS X 10.6.8

I will try the original, unaltered firmware next to test wether it is the 50i wrapper. My workflow is to copy the .mts files from the sd card´s "stream" folder to my harddisk. Any information stored elswhere for the system to interpret HBR PAL footage? Looks like any app interprets HBR as 25FPS correctly besides the playback issues. As I wrote, all problems are Quicktime-related, VLC will play almost fine... Almost means: There are sometimes small glitches in HBR also in VLC, dropped frames which are repeateable in playback. In Quicktime, those glitches will mess playback up.

• The next matrix I'm working on will take a long long look at the Cr part of the matrix. Slowly things will get better but things take time. Please give me time!

INFO: In simplistic terms, component video's color space is also known as YUV or YCbCr, where Y encodes luminance, U or Cb (blue) the difference between the blue primary and luminance, and V or Cr (red) the difference between the red primary and luminance. The low chromatic acuity (clearness of vision) allows a percentage data reduction of the color difference signals. In digital video, this is achieved by chroma subsampling.

In AVC h264 colour space profiles the notation as follows: 4:4:4 = no chroma subsampling. 4:2:2 = chroma subsampling by a factor of 2 horizontally; this sampling format is used in the standard for studio-quality component digital video as defined by ITU-R Rec. BT.601-5 (1995). 4:2:0 = chroma subsampling by a factor of 2 both horizontally and vertically; it is probably the closest approximation of human visual color acuity achievable by chroma subsampling alone. This sampling format is the most common in JPEG or MPEG and in the GH2's AVCHD implemntation.

• @Frame Sorry to hear your system is playing back choppy. It generally leads me to believe you have suspect codecs/clashing codec somewhere. For me I havent a problem on my hackintosh so I can't work out your problem. Both Movist on Mac, and WMP on win7 playback smooth as fuck on my sys. Each person's pute is different from another.

Try forgetting Quicktime for a moment and load up Movist.

Your workflow should ALWAYS be to copy the entire 'Private' folder over from your sdcard. This is long time established advice.

• Dark Matter yeah! Settings for the creatures of the night, perfect. THX!!! Before you dive deeply back into tweaking, could you give a little bit more info about the differences between the 3 matrixes? Some guidance where to look at?

• @terry2 - Not sure if you're "fully" re-installing. I had a similar issue when testing out some of Sage's custom setting a little while back. The settings would appear to upload just fine in camera. However, shooting and later analyzing the data hinted that something was wrong. The footage both looked "off" and Streamparser was showing data that was inconsistent with the loaded settings. A couple of guys (including Sage himself) patiently helped me through it over at DVXuser. Turns out the fix in my case was to reload the stock firmware to the camera first to basically set it back to factory original. Then attempt to re-upload the desired custom setting. Worked like a charm! So if you haven't already done so, try uploading the stock 1.1 firmware to reset the camera. Do a couple of test shots to be sure everything is working at stock levels. Then go ahead and try to upload your preferred Driftwood settings and see if that does it.

• Post deleted, it did give a complete wrong vision from me, sorry..

• @Driftwood I noticed the new Orion 4c settings weren't linked in the first post yet, so just thought I'd mention it in case it was an oversight. :)

Also, in case it helps, here are all the Driftwood Driftwood Quantum X patches in this thread so far, put into the 10 slots of PTool and into a ZIP file so they can be easily accessed at once: SMBU v2b, Rocket v3b, Orion v4b and v4c, Pictoris v5c.

The video settings are the same as you specified, but I have changed the audio AGC values to the ones I have specified in the audio hacks thread (since so far no one has suggested better settings in the months since I first posted my "thepalalias AGC v1" settings).

14 AGC 3

36 AGC 2

203 AGC 1

235 AGC 0

2012-03-05 Driftwood SMBU v2b, Rocket v3b, Orion v4b and v4c, Pictoris v5c.zip
  • loading v3 on my brand new 64g 95mb =)

• @Mozes

So you found HVS v3 to be the best of the 4 Orion matrices so far for dark areas?

• Not yet, i just loaded v1, to test....
    i hope there is enough batterie power to test them all 3 ;-)
    for what i see now, v1 looks like v3.
    But i have it merged with my own patch, so it doesn't say really anything about driftwood settings.

EDIT....................
    I just put them next to eath other, and there is a big differences............!!!!!!!!!..
    I will post the clip in a view minuts.

• @Mozes

Okay. Dang, thought I could save myself some testing on my own. :)

EDIT: Okay, well I'll be curious to see what they differences look like, even transposed into your own patch. :)

• V3 in HBR NTSC great. Thank you Thank you

• did some mini mini test with several iso's dark matter v3 : 1600 is usable 800 is a super fine grain the vimeo and attached file are iso 800 25p / dark matter v3

also @driftwood i had a lockup yesterday when messing around in class whilest watching a movie in the school's movie theater. i was filming the b/w movie and the light on everyone's face when all of the sudden after 6 sec my whole gh2 froze and had to remove battery. iso 2500, dg summilux 25mm 1.4, orion v4, sandisk 64 95mb, -2-2-2-2 cinema mode

• Post deleted, it did give a complete wrong vision from me, sorry..
    i cant delete the picture, so ignore it!

00000_Frames.PNG
    746 x 398 - 56K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions