Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • with the original firmware, the denoiser in the camera works better i think

• Pop24 - This is normal for 3200 iso. The hack does not remove noise. We're not sure what the native ISO for the camera is, but you're shooting at at least +18dB!!

• okay, but with the original firmware i have a smoother look in this low frequency. the patch makes a brilliant look, but also a brilliant noise

• some comments above is my footage with orion with iso 640 and the same nasty noise..

• @cinemon

Did you shoot in ex tele mode? Ex tele mode, ISO bug and your screen grab is heavy on shadows = lots of noise. Use things like reflectors to focus sunlight if outside or get a faster lens.

• Any GF2 Video Test with the hack?

• More visible noise does not always means worse settings. While stock settings hide alot of it due to heavy compression, high bitrate settings tend to let trough the real sensor noise, giving you the option to denoise in post (f.e. with After Effects Remove grain or Neat Video). 3200 is indeed a very high ISO, its normal that you see alot noise there. Try to get hold of some fast glass, 1.8 or below, set ISO to 640 or 1250.. gives you much better low light footage. You could also give the MJPEG mode a try if you are happy with 30 FPS, I´ve heard it is better for low light.

• @ignatius none ex tele and avoid the iso bug :( but i have this noise in all of my footage!

• i used 2 lenses, the 12mm hyperprime 1.6 and the 45mm 1.8 olympus. in the moment i denoise the material with neat noise, but you need a heavy noiseprofile for it.

• @driftwood

Please make new "series 2" topic and copy all necessary stuff to first post, so I could close this one due to size.

• @kholi Don't export directly from FCP... send to Compressor instead, and make sure you set Gamma Correction to "none" if possible in your export codec, and that will solve most gamma issues.

It seems that exporting from FCP always converts studio RGB levels to computer RGB, but sending to Compressor and using the exact same settings avoids that problem.

• if i wanted to combine my gh2 at 1080 24p and the gf2 which unfortunately is at 30p what would be the best combination patches i can use for each camera?

• A quick test I did to compare Cinema/Standard

Orion4b, panny 14-140 at ~24, 800iso, aperture 4.5, cinema at 1/25 shutter, standard at 1/30 shutter, ev is exposed +/- 0, I believe WB was auto

Only contrast was changed for cinema to 0/+2. All other times was set to -2x4 for both cin/standard

I notice even at 800 iso, cinema is very very good in comparison to standard that shows more noise. I also prefer the colours in cinema. Also, it seems contrast makes a big difference in the highlights (comparing -2 cin to +2 cin on the leather chair's highlights)

CinemaContrast-2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    CinemaContrast0.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    CinemaContrast+2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    StandardContrast-2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • I think standard fairs better in lowlight/night exteriors, but anything else Cinema is winning it for me over all other film modes.

You just have to nail white balance (but that's a given) and try not to underexpose mids.

• Still digging the v5c Pictoris (Orion Matrix)

ISO - 320 Nikkor 50mm 1.4 @ 2 Smooth all -2 except sharp- 0

Screen shot 2012-03-03 at 2.39.07 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
    Screen shot 2012-03-03 at 2.39.50 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 1M
  • @Driftwood, please help me out. I have the same issue with 720 50p... My bitrate barely hits 20.000 kb/s, I have tried a clean reainstall by first going from 1.0, to 1.1, and then hacked 1.1 with Orion CBR setting... Still I get this really low bitrate. I have tried with resetting the camera to factory settings also, but nothing changes... I have tried three different sandisk cards formatted in the camera, same problem.

What should I do? Some mentioned failsafe/trickmode, how do I "deactivate" this mode with your patch?

Thanks for all the great work!

• @Adde try a other patch and see what's then happening...

• Yes I'm going to try some other patches and see what happens. Something is wrong, when this started to happen, I had a really hard time to update the camera. It simply wouldn't recogzine any patch on the card, I had to take the original patch and save it without any settings and then load it in order to get the camera to recognize it at all... Then it worked with the 720p the first two clips, then it fell back to below 20.000 kb/s...

I accidently had the camera in 1080 50i first, if this could have caused any of the trouble maybe?

One more thing, is the red lamp on the front of the camera supposed to blink one time while the update is operating? Whatever is going on, it's not good...

UPDATE:

Tried the Pictoris' CBR setting, same thing after install. Now I have the same issue again with updating, the camera won't recognize a single patch on the memorycard....

• please could someone look at my orion footage and can explain the extreme noise in it ?

passwort : driftwood

• @Adde somewhere you make a mistake.
    you are not alone, i have seen it ask before, check the beginners topic
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/443/basic-and-beginner-questions#Item_809
    Yes, it is a lot of reading, but in the mean while, you are learning, thats the way it works for me, sad thing is, its time consuming.
    remove all patches you have. remove the firmware 1.1 and remove ptools from your pc.
    if you have done that, then start downloading those files again.
    Its the only way to be sure you have no "dirty" files.
    What i do after every setting update is.
    Check my settings in the menu.
    If its al oké, i switch my gh2 off, wait 5 seconds and switch it on again.
    And THEN I FORMAT my sdcart...

• @cinemon, wow looks good
    That noise, looks something i also did have.
    Driftwood give me the tip to uncheck the deblocking tables in ptools, are they on by you?

• @cinemon All i see is Amazement!

• I've got nasty horizontal red banding in Orion v4...low iso shadow. May be the lens...I need to set up a Vimeo channel to show it.

• @mozes what do you mean with deblocking tables? I'm from Germany, my english is not so good ;)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions