Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @GH2_fan Its on hold until further notice. We need to discover a few things more and that includes looking deeper into the code of the firmware... new developments happen all the time with VK's incredible work.

• hey guys. In case you guys were wondering what some of the shots in my videos originally looked like before grading, heres a short reel i made only with the gh2 footage I have. The first shots are with the Orion patch, the later bits are from a earlier video using Aquamotion 2. Just use the video to see how far you can push the colors. I was able to push the Orion footage very very far with Color. So without further delay:

• We're testing out v4 Orion. 25p HBR works as it should, and so did the 720 50p the first couple of times. Tried to record some more 720p on the same card, but the footage has an averege bitrate of 19.252 kb/s... The Orion should be CBR (it worked the first time giving us an averege bitrate of 52.000 kb/s but it has suddenly dropped!

Any ideas what is going on?

• ORION in ETC mode. Thanks NICK!

Back to the everglades....

Aligator.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 575K
    Bird.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 515K
    Sawgrass.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 498K
  • @Slomo .. failsafe? (trickmode kickt in?)

• @stanleymanly2 great examples! What did you use for the color grading?

• @mozes , how do you mean trickmode/failsafe? Thanks!

Just tried to reinstall the Orion, same thing, got even down to 18.000 kb/s on ISO 800 with moving objects... something is really wrong =/.. Any help is really appreciated!

• @stanleymanly2 that first clip was outstanding!

• @stanlymanly2 This is probably off-topic, but what settings did you use for the cinematic look of your footage?

• I tried to put the hybrid matrix to v4B Orion. Copied the lines from in between "Encoder setting 1 1080i/p" and "720p60 Opt1 GOP Table". Is this the right way to do it, or do I need to copy more?

Quantum X v4B Orion with hybrid matrix.zip
  • @driftwood "We need to discover a few things more and that includes looking deeper into the code of the firmware... new developments happen all the time with VK's incredible work."

If only Panny gave VK the SDK for the GH2 already!!! (wait, they don't know what is going on anyway!- most probably after the GH3- Panny will come to VK to work out how to implement RAW etc...)

• I would have thought that Panasonic would be interested in what's going on here.. I wonder if there is any chance GH2 data might come this way again?

Doesn't anybody know any Panasonic employees? ;)

• It wouldnt suprise me if Canon realised all of a sudden (watching over here at Intra on GH2) that they could implement Intra frame coding with AVCHD with their new 5Dmkiii. ;-)

• @matthere, It isn't going to happen- sorry- was just a brain sh_t moment,... disregard my statement... @driftwood, Yes, totally hypothetical... but it 'could' be done... ;)

Basically I realized long ago in this game that even 'if' VK had 'help' from Panny (or any other company) that it would probably just slow him down!... (can you just imagine the paperwork?)

• @grendelX Thanks for those image picture profile comparison tests. Much appreciated and I'll be using them for analysis.

@stanlymanly2 Very nice grading tests. Thank you.

@JDN Thanks for the ETC stuff - looks better than the past :-)

Personally, I'm rather satisfied with my Orion Matrix, not too sure about the Hybrid yet, but tweakings are on the way.

• @driftwood: Tried HBR (30p) on v5c ß Pictoris CBR with Orion matrix, using GH2 and Sandisk Extreme HD Video 32GB 32MB/s card. Olympus 45/1.8 lens, wide open, low to medium ISO, static interview shots with blurred out background. Hit 4GB and failed to span. Could not play back in camera, but plays fine in VLC and Premiere Pro. Same shot with PanaLeica 25/1.4 plays back in camera, but I did not try to span.

720/60p with v4b Orion worked great on GH2 with Panasonic 14-140, 14/2.5, 25/1.4, and Oly 45/1.8, using ISO from 160 - 1600, same Sandisk 32GB 32MB/s card. Plays back fine on camera. Did not attempt to span.

• i filmed with the pictoris patch "orion matrix" in a dark club with a deep red light yesterday. there is heeeavy noise, a totaly distortion in this low frequency. with the original 1.1 firmware i have not this problem, because the intern denoiser from the camera works correct with the original profile "i think" i hope someone can check this.

• @driftwood I have little or no doubt that Canon have learned lot from this forum and specially from your hack as well work of Vitality, Chris brandin, lpowell , blazer, duratix and lot others... and all the testing people do here ... It is shame that Panasonic keeps sleeping . Canon must donate money to Vitality.

• Nice Driftwood =) Can you tell me what setting did you use in the concert footage? Thanks

• i have shoot today with orion 4b and my footage looks terrible noisy?! i have shoot with iso 640 all the time...

vlcsnap-2012-03-03-16h57m08s14.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @pop24 words really don't mean much without the details and examples under the same camera settings and lighting conditions.

a motion scene with the pictoris patch "orion matrix" nostalgic mode color -2 ,24h, 3200 iso. its full of heavy noise

00200.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 905K
  • the same not in motion..image

00201.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 905K
  • Of course it's noisy at ISO3200! Also, you would need the same shot under the same conditions for the comparison you referenced between hacked and not.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions