Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • Basically, as you have found in your Timelapser, youre never going to please yourself/everybody all the time. I'm not gonna keep responding to people with slow cards for example, pointless. Driftwood settings are going to test even the best cards to the extreme. If they want their type 6 cards to work, then use stock settings or Long GOP.

@ALL What I would like to know is what is worth pursuing on 720p? GOP12/15 as seen in Orion and Rocket. GOP6/9 as seen in β Pictoris. Or GOP3/6 - as seen in earlier patches?

Before you ask, GOP1 partially works for 720p50 but NOT for NTSC 720p60. Maybe in the future when more is known but for now INTRA 60fps is a no-no. GOP3 on 60fps is difficult enough.

So tell me if you prefer one or the other - do some REAL tests.

Also I need more matrix reports concerning the hybrid on β Pictoris or my adapted AVC Intra version as found on Orion. Which is best?/is Panny's GH2 matrix better?/provide examples where you can.

• 'Some more work to do @driftwood :)'

@sohus No. YOU do the work for your particular setup. Lets start at 60fps. You can test first by lowering 'β Pictoris' Frame Limits to 1400000, then divide that by 8 to get FB2 (which would equal 175000). Repeat the process (taking 100000 off at a time from the Frame Limit on 60fps and dividing by 8 and entering into 60fps FB2 the result) till it passes your particular test. Repeat the same factor for other REC modes. Take note, and let me know. Im working on other things at the moment. Thanks. Guess you got some work to be getting on with. :-)

• Hi. Coming back about card speed error problem: Agree with POP24, not the only expensive 64Go - 95MB/s cards is working well.

I have a Sandisk 32Go HD Video Extreme (30MB/s) and a Sandisk 32 Go Extreme Pro (45MB/s), i'm running Orion CBR (100M) in PAL mode HBR25p or sometimes 1080i, and it's working well on both card. (execpt sometimes Ex-Télé) OK, it's not always spanning, but if i need spanning for particular application, there is some other setting lighter (or other cards more expensive)... the only way...

Chart tests are not THE absolute truth. Test in real world too and if you're making film, USE YOUR EYES.

Thanks

• Well, i just merged ..
    Driftwood GOP1 AQ2 'AQUAMOTION' Experimental patch, with v3bRocket RC.
    i even have formated the card to ntsc instead off pal (for the first time).
    First real live test looks good, just the way i like it...

Only 1080i and HBR give
    "Motion recording was cancelled due to the limitation of the writing speed of the card"
    @Driftwood, any idea what the "correct" setting it must be set to?
    Gop = 1 ad the moment
    Edit i have changed GOP1 to the same as 720/60 witch is 15 to 6 and now its on 3
    And it works fine, i will play with it some more.....

Clip shot in standard profile, all set to 0.
    1so 160, shutter 1/50, WB manual set ad some grey painted door.
    In sony vegas the colors almost match the srgb 16-236 standard.

Just did make a mistake with rendering.
    i have rendered the 720/60 to 1080/60p with CBR: 90,3 Mbps dnxhd codec...
    And still it looks good

Uploaded clip is rendered in a sony mp4 codec with 15mb/s
    damn that sony mp4 didn't look good, so the used codec does make a BIG differences, more then i did expect!!!
    So, it is in dnxhd 75mb/s 29.7fps .mov file The file gets bigger then the 1080p rendering, and look bad!!
    How is that posible?
    Soooooooo I will upload the wrong rendered file ..... and post it later

If you register on exposureroom you can download the converted 445.15MB file, the original uploaded one was 456mb! and in 1080 60p

123.jpg
    1262 x 678 - 276K
  • i'm using a transend 32gb class 10 with orion all modes no problems...it's stunning stuff by the way many thanks to all concerned

• @Driftwood - Awesome job again!!! You and Vitaliy have made this camera so much more robust. I am totally pleased with results that I am getting. Here's a little test that I shot yesterday with V5c Pictoris (Orion M). All shot on 24H.

• @driftwood I'm really really loving the softer approach in Orion's matrix. Excesive sharpness is something else I might not have to worry about from now on. Thanks a lot Nick!

• @rockroadpix great video, did you use VBR or CBR ?

• @feha, thanks! VBR. For some reason, VBR makes more sense to me. Bring the bits when you need them. I'm probably wrong, but I go by my eye for shooting more than 1s and 0s & stuff...

I like the organic look of the matrix in Orion.

• @rockroadpix , thank you, i will be using also VBR and Orion matrix, however i want to use it in HBR 25p (PAL) mode, tested it works great but some scenes could not play on my camera Sandisk extreme video hd 32 GB/30mbs ...

• Is the Driftwood Quantum X (v4 Orion) CBR 'Settings' the latest and the best for high bitrate? I'm getting lost with so many settings now.

• @PixCanFly yes, Orion is constant high bit rate and Rocket is variable bit rate

• Tested 'β Pictoris' VBR Hybrid matrix on 32GB sandisk 30mb/s and on a basic 16GB Class 10 SD, one word : WOW! 24p and HBR are giving a great cinematic look, really excellent. But the best is 720 50p : the best I've tested from all GH2 settings, absolutely great! All modes recroded flawlessly, no crash, and smooth playback in camera, even with a basic SD card. Guess it will be my permanent settings for a long time :-)

Thank you Driftwood and Vitaly : you made a great camera being outstanding!

• I had no issues with the 64g 95mb/s cards, fyi

• Hi can someone simple explain the difference between 24H and HBR. I know 24H is High Quality, 24L is low quality but where does HBR come in if 24H is already high quality? Why would someone shoot HBR and not 24H or 24L?

I'm sure the more I read the more I understand and the more I get confused.

Thanks for your help guys.

• 24H (High) is 1080p 24 frames per second Progressive.

Panasonic's v1.11 firmware includes the new setting of High BitRate(HBR) offering 18M at stock 25p/30p except its 'kept' inside a PsF wrapper - Progressive segmented Frame. Some very good stuff written by Allan Tepper on PsF is here;-

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/psf8217s_missing_workflow_em_part_1_benign_psf_versus_malignant_psf/

• whitch patch should i use to archieve this look? And what color correction was maybe done?

film.png
    1274 x 688 - 2M
  • @driftwood thanks mate. rock on the 24H.

• Any easy way I switch from 24h (non hacked 24mbs) to Orion 24 without reloading the firmware. Like if I'm running out of card space and need to switch to a slower card.

Only have 1 Sandisk 64gig 95mbs card and a crap load of PNY Class 10 16gb cards.

Any of these new hacks work with a PNY class 10?

• I use Nexto D1 NVS1501 to store my card video and images when I travel. I seem to have a problem that the device would not accept my card when I use Orion patch.

Error Message on the storage device: PEX Error. File too big in Ex Fat.

No problem with stock settings for GH2. I encounter the same problem with Sanho Hyperdrive. I have spanned files and I am using SanDisk 64GB 95 Mb/s.

Is this problem to do with FAT in the storage device? When I read the File System Format for the Video Storage Device it reads: Internal hard drive: FAT32, exFAT and accepts Memory Card: FAT12/16/32, exFAT.

• @kaventan You should simply copy over the private folder from your sdcard to whatever computer/device (OSX, WWin7, etc.. they all work!)

Ive never had this problem.

@Chaos123x Nope. Thats impossible. You have to upload a new firmware if you want to switch back and forth between hacks/stock. Easy solution: have two separate firmwares on 2 separate cards.

• @driftwood They work when copied directly on to computers. It is no problem with OSX Lion, FCPX. This failure happens only on those portable standalone storage devices such as the one I use http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768992-REG/Nexto_DI_NESV_NVS1501_NVS1501_Video_Storage.html as the SD card is not recognized with the error message that I wrote above. As the card is not accepted, I cannot even copy the files over.

• Then the NVS1501 is a peice of sh*t. They advertise that it supports exFAT.

• I have now written to enquire with NEXTO D1 Co Ltd.

• @driftwood By the way, I love your Orion setting. Quality is great and spans. FCP X even recognized the spanned files as one. Only thing I need to remember is that I cannot view the spanned files on the camera and that I must record a small segment after a long spanned session. After moving over to GH2 and benefiting from the great work from VK, yourself and the many others who contribute to elevate the GH2 to such an amazing quality, I now use my Nikon D700 only for the rare still photo when high ISO pix are required.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions