Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • can anyone tell me the advantage of using HBR mode over regular 24H and vice versa?

• HBR mode offers either 30p or 25p recording while 24H only delivers 24p video.

• @Pechente which 1.1 patch is the closest to 9b though? rocket3 or orion? this adaptive bitrate and constant bitrate stuff is starting to confuse me :p

• Orion = closest to Quantum 9b

• But Orion > 9b?

• Of Course! New matrix and measurements for Panny firmware v1.1 / Ptools 3.64d

• @Driftwood Thanks for Orion!

Driftwood Quantum X V4 Orion - 24p H works without issue, 24p L works without issue, HBR 25p no issues, using Nokton 25mm 0.95, iso160.

Short clips but the quality of the image is stunning! :o)

• ! Misinterpreted as in 'closest' (as in 9b is superior). I see you mean as closest in terms of 'theory'

Thanks for Orion!

• That's fun - just having a bash at rocket v3. 24H even works on my class 6 card, 14-140, ISO1250. I probably got an unusually good card that day!

First impressions: The stream info is INSANE!!! I shot some stuff at 1250 with very poor lighting (histogram only half way up) and this baby seems to cope well with pretty extreme grading (pulling the input end level down, applying curves).

bitrate type : VBR bitrate declared : 152 027 136

bit allocation max : 107 066 072 avg : 64 511 860 min : 39 093 992

I mean, I'm not sure I want to change it for Cake as that one is much less greedy in gobbling up my cards, but hot damn... it really works!!!

rocketV3_buffer.jpg
    2480 x 1017 - 176K
    rocketV3_stream.jpg
    2438 x 941 - 183K
  • @driftwood and others -- sorry to ask this, I should test myself but fear I won't have time -- scrambling to pack for three solid weeks of shooting on the road.

Question1: Anyone have any problem getting any of these settings to span on the sandisk 95mbps Question2: Will any of the X settings span on sandisk 30mbps cards, or will only span my bitch up do that.

Sorry sorry to ask a stupid question I should just thoroughly test myself but not sure if there is time. Okay back to packing and laundry.

AND PS: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU NICK!

• @JDN, None of these are spanning for me at the moment on a sandisk 64gb sdxc card. Should add I am only testing HBR 25p mode at the moment. I am yet to test the release candidate of Rocket v3.

• Driftwood Quantum X V4 Orion - 24p H works without issue, 24p L works without issue, HBR 25p no issues, using Pana 14mm 2.5 (sandisk 16gb / 30mbs card)

The image "shimmers" on the LCD but back in PC there is no "shimmer" just very nice looking images.

• Spanning should be fine on Rocket v3 in most cases. These are BOTH highest quality settings so I don't expect it for Orion. You have Rocket v2 or SPanMyBitchUp for that.

I dithered backwards and forwards whether I should use setting IQ/Q=0 (near on AQ4) but AQ=4 provided slightly more better overall Q. That said, Someone try sticking Orion on IQ/Q=0 and unchecking AQ settings and test for spanning. I did notice that IQ/Q=0 would play back audio on my Viera TV so this setting MAY span on Orion. Try it and let me know someone. I'm exhausted.

My guess is, is that the AQ alogorithm taxes the GH2 brain a bit more than straight forward IQ/Q = 0 and hence provides audio stutter etc in camera or on playback on TVs SD card slots like the Viera range. Needs confirming.

• Just loaded orion with the new panny firmware, but there's no HBR mode in the camera? Do you have to load on the new panasonic firmware first, before applying these patches?

• eeny meeny miney mo

• @dbp READ the post on page One at top. Ut requires ptools 3.64d and the Panasonic firmware v1.1 placing in th esame directory before you load up my settings.

• tripod recording on v4 orion - still noticable difference between hbr and 24p , but awesome job none the less, thanks driftwood

HBR30p.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    24p.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @JDN Hi mate... so youre in a rush... I would remember to pack each setting/firmware on 3 different sd cards if I were you, then you have the choice :-)

• @driftwood, You are probably going to hate hearing this but I am pretty sure I was getting better panning/motion with the pre RC of rocket V3. I am only testing HBR mode.

• @brodieg Course there's going to be. 24p allows much more headroom and has always been the GH2's best setting for me.

• Quantum X V4 Orion - 80% no issues Pana 14mm iso160 (sandisk 16gb / 30mbs card) sky clear of any banding.. this is amazing IQ - Thanks Nick / VK!

• wow opening them in tabs and then switching back and forth between the two makes the difference even more obvious ..... oh and i was getting 108mbps on hbr30p and 167mbps on 24p, is hbr getting maxed out around 110?

• @driftwood Camera's at the office. Damn. Can't test until Monday.

Always wondered, any difference between 24L and 24H other than bitrate? Assuming bitrate is only change, then spanning should be more dependable on Rocket and Orion at 24L?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions