Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @exilenorth: Panasonic themselves said that they put in 24p as they didn't believe the demand for 25p or 30p would be that high.

@nomad: Exactly! Panasonic has made a great camera for little money. We have to keep in mind that Sony specified AVCHD that it has to be 24mbit/s anyway, plus it is a very good stock codec. More than adequate for a lot of work really. People are forgetting that this camera isn't a RED-killer, just damn fine hybrid DSLR. Some where hoping we would be getting 4:2:2, something even Panasonic's own pro-cam AF100 is lacking. I still mostly use the 66mbit/s patch, as it is very stable (beyond the occasional error message before playback, solved with restarting the camera) and has a great quality/space ratio. Things like a camera not working properly is NOT okay on a pro set. While not every gear malfunction is blamed as your fault, most of them leaves a bad taste in people (especially clients) mouth. Then reliability becomes more important.
  • They gave (probably hundreds of) thousands of people out there a camera that works with most any SD card you put into it. And they improved it.

They don't try to stop Vitaliy improving it for those who see a need for that (us).

So, what's wrong with them? Come on, this is a camera for less than 700 bucks these days!
  • @exilenorth

How about being smarter and softer? :-)
  • Did anyone truly think that what Panasonic was going to give us would surpass what the team has developed or been working on? Come on, they are the ones that limited the camera in the first place. suggestion, be patient and screw their firmware update.
  • @cocute
    I thought the same thing when watching that video, but I just looked again.
    True those jpeg shots were not identical conditions, but it does appear Panasonic may have tweaked the NR. it does seem less blotchy and displays more detail than the 1.0 jpeg.

Once 1.1VK is released and we get a chance to try our new high bitrate settings, we'll have to do a noise comparison at NR set to -2.
  • @Mark_the_Harp @B3Guy

B3Guy may be right about touching the release button.
    I've seen this issue every now and then, but oddly it seems to happen with the 20mm f1.7 lens.
    I just remount it again and it seems to go away.

Also, i've never seen this issue arise when actually using the camera, so it may "only" be a check at the start of boot for the camera.
  • Plus, the NLE will try to de-interlace the already progressive footage and reduce vertical resolution to half if this is not corrected.
  • @mpgxsvcd ... Colin wants to search for the flags in HBR , thats declare the clips as interlace or progressive.
    Panasonic choose (wrong decision) to declare the clips as interlaced in a way that most software doesn't recognize them as progressive.

This is a big problem in editing, because when you make a progressive timeline (25-30p) and put the footage from GH2 there (even if you declare them as progressive inside the program) , the timeline needs render (with unpredictable results some times and long processing times).

Colin with Clipwrap can correct this flags, and make the footage appears as progressive... with no extra time needed.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just donated. Thanks for the great job. Filming with @Driftwood later today. Interesting experience I hope. Waiting eagerly for 25p hack and patches to roll now. All the best.
  • @toxotis

Will do. Almost done uploading. The 1080i and 1080p @ 30 FPS clips are of the exact same thing. What exactly will Colin be looking for? Does he need any other clips or just those two.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Here's Colin's email: dmsupport@divergentmedia.com

Thanks!
  • dont forget to contact him and tell him what is for.
  • @Hallvalla

Uploading 1080p @ 30 FPS and 1080i clips now.
  • @Dazza i think photo test jpg and raw not correct.
    The focus is not on the same site.
    In 1.0 pillow is in focus, in 1,1 not pillow in focus.
  • @Mark_the_Harp this warning I have always discovered is caused by my inadvertently depressing the lens release button. I used to wonder why the heck I was getting that warning, then one day I realized that it was every time I was touching the button (needn't be all the way depressed, even light pressure on it can cause this warning).
  • @Hallvalla

I will try to send them the footage.
  • @Hallvalla ... yes, they need 2 small clips from ntsc users.
    Someone can send them , it takes only a couple of minutes.
  • @cocute it's not worse the JPG and RAW at NR +2 are better at high ISO. there is more detail, less spotching, finer noise. There use to be a bug that when you took a photo at NR +2 even the RAW was modified, I don't think that is the case now as it should be.
  • @toxotis70

I emailed the ClipWrap team about 30p NTSC, here is their response:

Nobody has sent us any 30p clips from the new firmware, so we're not sure. It definitely works for 25p. If you've got 30p footage we'd love a short MTS or two (along with 60i from the same firmware):
    If you're willing to send a file, you can use our file submission website:
    http://uploads.divergentmedia.com/submitfile/caseid/4269_g75sr8o8g3m87cee

I don't have time this weekend, but if anybody else does have time to upload clips, thank you! Remember, they just need a short 30p (or two) and also short 60i footage.
  • i see in video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yZbbI7TLI-M#t=82s
    and i see new firmware has bad JPG and RAW High Isos that old firmware.
    How is possible?
  • Good news - I'm a registered ClipWrap user. Hopefully NTSC soon'ish for 30p?
  • if anyone intrested, clipwrap's creator has a newer version for correcting new HBR format.
    25p (wrapped in 50i) appears as interlaced in most nle programs.
    Even if you declare it as progressive in the program, when you put the footage to a progressive timeline , it needs render.

I tried avid 6, premiere 5.5 and FCPX.

NOt anymore, if you want to try out the newer beta version (PAL) , contact Colin at dmsupport@divergentmedia.com and ask for beta version for GH2.

I tried and it worked nice.

No re encoding , just transcode from mts to a more friendly mov file.
  • @valdi99 not that it makes me wonder, but if i may ask, where did you get that info from?
  • It's ok to take a photo before pressing the play button.
  • @Mark_the_Harp That shouldn't happen during a firmware update at all but to be safe ensure camera is ok first (turned on) leave for a few seconds then hit the play button to update.