Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • I wasn't aware of that since I've always transcoded to ProRes.

Think it's time for me to dig some more info about that workflow since you state that saves both time and space, and that IS a lot!!!
  • Would anybody please check-out if remote (wire or wireless) after fw update now wakes up GH2 from econo mode? Maybe Pana has fixed it without a word, just like a mic input...
  • If you want to save time with workflow, MainConcept plugin for CS5 (works with 5.5) is awesome, you could use the MainConcept rendering engine (both software and CUDA) or you can stick with Mercury, plus what is -really- great, is the CUDA H.264 output encoder. It is fast (on my GTX 260 even,which I had to edit the text file for support for).
  • @all

WIth rewrapping and other 25p and 30p clips processing, please, use other, appropriate, topics.
  • V1 vs V1.1 comparaison :
  • You shout all two at 24p?
  • @amateur

great, much better quality at 1.1 (v1 stock firmware ?)
  • Why the new firmware should be so better at low light?

I did not see any mention of this on release notes...

@amateur both shots at 24p? or the lighter video is shot at 25?
  • It doesn't look better to me - just brighter. Some of the GH2's ISO settings were slightly low. Maybe they corrected that.
  • if you look at the light on rail (ground) it' "pulsating" and colors bleeding (v1) ...
    however it would be best to have both footage in mts for download in order to compare ...
  • i can confirm that with Neo Scene it does change it in to progressive in FCPX
    Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 5.56.15 AM.png
    401 x 345 - 35K
  • @ chef your Samyang-Skater has just what i missed in 24p. Only one picture more and to me it moves far more in a smooth but also clear direction. With 24p the similar motion for me looks allwas hard an jerking. So not only for 50Hz lightning reason 25p is quite usefull. To my eyes in fast "moving" situation its definitely better.
  • I agree with balazer, its only lighter, no diffrent quality. And on the vectorscope you can see that the llights at the cone are allready clipping. Try to read the electronic signs in the light version on the right side, maybe for train, tram or something. Would be interesting to see if there is realy any difference with the same lightning impression. And how much aperture or ISO i will spare for the same impression with the same lens on the same scene. Seems like you have two GH2. So it would be graet if you could make such a test :-)
  • I'm confused at how the new firmware can be brighter, I've not noticed as such but then again I didn't do a direct before and after comparison
  • The split screen is of the same shot, surely - the movement of the people looks identical. How can you shoot in two firmware types at the same time?
  • @mrbill

lol. made my day! Maybe two GH2s - one with 1.0 and one with 1.1.. hehe..
  • You got to flash really fast. ;=)
  • @feha @LongJohnSilver

Looks like we got our christmas gift hehe hope vk will remplace santana this year :D

it is a good new before gh3, that would satisfy many users

another test ...looks like it is iso 400 :

about noise reduction or maybe dr ? noob question...
  • Seems to be not only brighter, but wider range at FW 1.1
  • To my eyes, the new firmware image is brighter, and less sharp!?!?!?
  • @amateur: Is it just me, or was there HORRIBLE compression on that last one? Firstly there was so much aliasing, almost at Canon level. Secondly the sky was extremely blocky from low bitrate. Doesn't look like in-camera compression, but rather the person who uploaded it.
  • @amateur:
    you can see the light flicker in the left one, it was clearly not a shutter which corresponded with the frequency the lights on the tower flickered at. in the right one it is. No flicker. So they were different shutter speeds. which of course can account for the brightness difference. :)

but will be interesting to find out if there is really more detail resolved in the high ISOs.
  • @ Vitaliy
    A question: Once the porting ptools on the new firmware 1.1, we can still use the old one (1.0) or have to use an old version of ptools? I ask because some friends who have tried the new firmware are not happy, especially for the noise at high ISO.
  • @willyfan

No problems, it'll still support old firmware.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

I hope you get well soon. Being sick sux.