Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero 7 topic
  • 111 Replies sorted by
  • On the other hand, iPhoneDo's reviews are a lot more fun to watch than most people on youtube and tend to be pretty brutally honest.

• @markr041

Well, I still surprised why you being scientists still did not join PV team and started to make accurate reviews :-)

• The above video by the clownish phoneideo is yet another example of confusion about compression that has afflicted a number of early reviews of the 7. He keeps complaining about low bitrates and fails to understand that 60-80 Mbps HEVC is about 120- 160 Mbps H264. He also does not know you can select HEVC for all frame rates and resolutions. He doesnt understand dynamic range, blaming clipped highlight on bitrate!, rather than on overexposure. These guys need to read the manual, and more.

• This video tests motion, moving the camera and moving subjects. An advantage of shooting at 60 fps is smooth, natural motion. Here we have moving trains and walking with the camera.

The video was shot using Protune flat with native WB. So the colors reflect my grading. I can say that the flat setting gives lots of latitude for both dynamic range and color.

This was shot handheld using the camera stabilization. For static shots it is the best I have ever experienced; it does pretty well when moving but I am still learning how to best use it when I am mobile. I used low sharpening and did no sharpening in post.

The uploaded video was rendered at 80 Mbps HEVC, same as the original clips.

• "GoPro, Inc. (NASDAQ: GPRO) announced that HERO7 Black has achieved the highest week-one retail unit sell-thru of any new camera in the company's history."

https://investor.gopro.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2018/GoPro-HERO7-Black-Achieves-Strongest-Week-One-Unit-Sell-Thru-in-Company-History/default.aspx

• Hyper-lapse underwent no re-compression when uploaded; soundtrack muxed on. Downloadable.

• @markr041 - GoPro surveys the cameras they collect of course. After like i.e. 1000 units the campaign are closed. No surprises here.

• @EspenB What do you mean "It is still online sometimes." It is not online for the Hero 7 Black. It was not a survey, it was a discount, and now it's over. More misinformation and groundless speculation?

• It's still online sometimes. But giving consumers 100 USD off after trading in some old trash is basically the same as giving them a 100 USD discount from day one. This is not business. Probably this is only a short term campaign to examine which cameras the user base will trade in for a GoPro. After they get enought cameras in they will close the survey.

This is also why the trade in is only effective in the USA.

• The trade-up program for the Hero 7 Black has ended already! Not for the Fusion (guess which one is selling well...).

And the manual is now available for the 7:

https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVA.pdf

• Final release firmware for the Hero7 Black.

Hero7_f151.png
    833 x 498 - 64K
  • A "real" gimbal has smaller (mechanical) limits to extreme motion than does digital IS and, if you have ever used a gimbal in real life, a gimbal really suffers in higher wind and when moving fast - air movement affects gimbals but not digital IS. And some gimbal motion seems unnatural, too flat. Oh, try using a gimbal in a snowstorm, in rain or - underwater!

To me the disadvantage of using digital IS is only the loss of resolution when almost the full sensor is being used (4K). And do not tell me about BOSS - 2-axis really stinks.

• @Lohmatij

Yes performance will suffer in low light. It's the same with the 3-axis stabilization in the previous Hero6. I belive the early firmware for Hero6 they still tried to stabilize in bad light conditions, but then they put out a new firmware which just disables the stabilizing in low light conditions.

Also note that GoPro states that rolling-shutter correction is a part of the stabilizing performance. Rolling shutter skew as well as longer exposures are bad for the algorithms. Also, this is probably not good for use with ND filter on the lens I guess.

So a real gimbal will still provide such benefits:

• Stabilizing with less artifacts

• Work in bad light conditions

• Still work if you apply ND filter for longer shutters

• No extra crop of the picture (EIS crops like 10-12 per cent i Wide angle view)

• etc.

I guess it's great for that it is. But gimbal like it's not. And never will be.

We always have to see beyond the GoPro marketing hype. They do use "super" and "hyper" a lot!

• Does anyone have any idea how this stabilization works? I guess they installed some gyroscopes to track the camera movement. Also, as far as I understand there is no optical stabilization, so it’s only gonna work in daylight (with very short shutter)

• I guess @iPhonedo did not make it to the @GoPro #Hero7 social influencers give away list. To bad. I would love to see both the GoPro CEO and @iPhonedo in a tandem waterslide selfie at the influencers party. #nextyear

karma_woodman.png
    701 x 668 - 675K
  • Where is the reviews of the WHITE and SILVER? I guess GoPro only shipped the BLACK to influencers.

• @Sunscreen

Or to people with friends in the US :-)

As buying stuff in US is good.