Personal View site logo
Wedding Videography
  • My wife and I have set up our Wedding Videography business in the North-East of Scotland for just over 2 1/2 years now. Although we still have a lot to learn, we believe we have managed to bring to our area a much more filmic approach to Wedding Films and have had the pleasure of working with wonderful couples who have been quick to recommend us to others. We also have won a recognised Wedding Industry award for Scotland which was certainly unexpected this year.

Thats the credentials out the way..... I wanted to start a topic that could act as a powerful resource tool for anybody wishing to enter into Wedding Videography. A collective center of useful tips, past experiences and success stories by way of sharing inspiring films from other members. This could be useful then for someone perhaps wishing to start filming weddings, or perhaps someoe who has been given that difficult challenge of filming their friend's wedding and doesn't know where to start. Useful also to those that have been doing it for years and are looking for some inspiration and a fresh set of eyes that newcomer's bring to the table.

With this in mind, I wanted to share the trials and tribulations we have encountered over the last year or so, the bad decisions with equipment we made and the ones where we got it right. Of course I add the caveat of everything I write being my own opinion and may of course not work for you. Every area in the world has accepted styles of what a Wedding Film should be, and what maybe works here doesnt necessarily work elsewhere. My focus in the business is the Techinal side, therefore I will only share my experiences and opinions with the equipment. As for the running of the business and interfacing with customers, maybe someone else will go into that.

We started in the business because we saw a growing demand for Wedding Films in our area, and yet not enough people to meet that demand. In our local area exists some guys who had been doing it for many years, and were able to provide a very traditional approach to filming a wedding, but there were not a lot of companies that would cover the day with a more cinematic flare. This need combined with my wife's insatiable appetite for watching wedding videos created our business.

We filmed our first wedding with a Panasonic SD-700 and a Panasonic SD-900. Fantastic camcorders for our first time. (We have changed cameras quite a few time before we ended up with GH3s.) We filmed a lot, maybe a lot more than we needed but we made sure we got everything we needed. We arrived early and left much later than we had planned for, but overall we are still delighted with our first film we put out. We used a RODE Videomic for the sound and generally this worked well. Where it was not so good, was when we used it directionally over one of the guests tables during the speeches. Had one of the children at the table sat somewhere else we might have picked up more of the Grooms' speech but the lesson learned was that always get your mics as close to your subjects as possible. Buy a Zoom H1, a little stand, and place it in front of your people on the top table. Sync later on and now you are free to focus on the shot and not worry about the sound. Want to be even more professional, get a wireless mic set up like the sennheiser G3 wireless kit. Mic your groom and feed the sound direct to the camera. Now you can monitor the sound through the camera.

One of the other lessons we learned at our first few weddings was how important it is to be FAST. Using tripods all day for every shot is going to make you slow. If you are not slow, then you will be squint (not level). We quickly learned that a Monopod with the added stability of some little feet was going to be our solution. Have a look at this topic....

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7003/monopods-with-legs#

This allowed us to be quick but not at the expense of stability. In my opinion there is no excuse for going handheld all day, unless you are going for that specifically "documentary" type style. We still use tripods, but only for the Live stuff. Ceremony, Speeches and the evening dance. However we have other cameras that we use on monopods during these times and the tripod stuff is mostly used as a fall back shot (a shot to cut away to when you don't have anything else). Don't try to save money on tripods, a £35 Hama job is going to be a struggle and just bite the bullet and go for the well-known names. We use Manfrotto, not to say that they are the best, but it happened more organically. We bought a manfrotto tripod and then when we got quick plates for all our cameras we then wanted to make sure all the other tripods had the same quick release mechanism. You need to be able to go from tripod, to monopod and then back to tripod fast. So if you do buy lots of different brands of tripods or monopods, you are going to have to buy lots of quick release adaptors. Such as this one.....

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_quick_release_video_head_adapter/ck9007

You will need Lights, whether you go for the fill the room with light tactic, or maybe the more subtle approach, a good light is going to give your footage the added clarity it needs. Handycams and low-light are a disaster without good light. Just search for video LED light and make sure it has at least 160 LEDs or above for a reasonable amount of light. Watch out for size though, if you want it mounted to your camera hotshoe, dont go too big. If you intend to put it on its own stand, then think about how you are going to connect it, power it and operate it.

Backups, backups, backups. Always think, what if this doesnt work? Have another camera running, use one more sound recorder. Take plenty of batteries, cards and more cameras if you can afford to. Dont go small with cards, if you can afford it, save yourself a lot of hassle by buying big (64gb) and trusting a good name like Sandisk. Brandless types make me very nervous.

Putting equipment aside, there is only one bit of advice I can offer that is more interpersonal related. No matter what happens on the day, try your best to stay calm and in control. Nobody wants to see the video guy getting stressed while he screams at the guests to just hold still for one more second. Things will break, shots will go wrong, photographers will get in the way, but through it all you need to be relaxed and able to deal with whatever is presented to you. (I'm still practicsing this bit :S)

Well, im going to leave it at that just now and see what other contributions we get. I joined this forum about a year ago and it has been my one stop shop for help, advice, information and inspiration. I hope that maybe I can pass this on in some way to someone else who was in my same position.

• 299 Replies sorted by
  • My Work thus far, solely edited, directed and filmed by me...GH4, monopod...FCP X

• @Sph1nxster Thanks for your comments. I believe weddings is the only viable option at this stage as I have a small portfolio of wedding work already under my belt and it is easy to market yourself in this area through social media. Other more serious videography work I assume would require a long history of work, qualifications and years of knowledge. It seems with weddings most couples are happy to sign you up once they have seen a few examples of you work or you have been recommened through a friend, This wouldn't be true of more commerial work however?

May I ask what your previous full time job was and what type of videography do you do now?..are you full self employed?..do you find the new role still fulfills your passion now that it is required to pay your bills?

• I made the switch about a year ago, I was in full-time employment and over a period of about 15 months i moved from that into full-time videographer. If weddings is what you plan to make most of your money from, then you will need to slowly increase the number of weddings you do over a given period of time. Couples in our area tend to book weddings 15 or so months in advance so this will be different most likely where you live. By slowly agreeing to take on more and more work, there will come a stage where you can quit your job because you know on paper you have enough weddings for a full year.

At the end of the day, only you can make that decision but my advice would be that if you love making films, using cameras and seeing people react to what you have made? Then it would be a massive shame for you to have given up an opportunity to do more of that for fear of what the future might bring.

Just my two cents.....

• Wedding videography or videography in general is my personal passion and in a perfect life I wish it was what I did for a living. I work in IT full time and have done for 20 years and that pays the bills and allows me and my family to live quite happily. At weekends, free time at work or whenever I can I am reading about\playing with cameras and making videos. These videos are mainly of of days out, occasions with friends and family and other such events. I have also been piad to do weddings for friends of friends recently and the feedback has been very postive.

I really enoy the creative process and the look on peoples faces when they watch back my creations with huge smiles on their faces. I always feel I am fighting against time to enojy my hobby what with othe work and family comittments but as a hobby\passion it is what I truly enjoy. I dont hate my day job but even when I am work my passion consumes my mind.

With this in mind it has crossed my mind contsantly over the past couple of years whether to take the plunge or not and become a full time wedding videographer. On one hand I get to do the thing I love, and get paid for it so it must be a great idea right?

On the other hand, it would mean being my own boss, worrying about jobs coming in, working weekends away from family and changing what I would class as a creative free passion into more of a strict "job like" task to get the footage I need and to turn the workaround as quickly as possible.

This money pressure would then surley take away the passion and creative freedom I currently possses from filming only as a hobby and not a role that the mortgage relies on?

I suppose you dont know until you try it, but I dont know if I am prepared to risk it and lose the enjoyment of the hobby which filiming currently is...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

• As suggest bu @Vitaliy_Kiselev I post my question here, hopping for your addvice.

Hello, I have a quite "simple" question (maybe the answer won't be so simple). If you want to open of wedding photography business in USA, what do you have to do regarding to the law ? Should you register yourself somewhere ? I guess you probably have different possibility ? Do you suggest one better than an other one for a new company ? I m planing to open a wedding photography business with no studio. And I have read some article regarding taxe that you should paye or not , depending if you sell some object (like a wedding book), but didn't really understand every thing...

• Shot using GH4 + Came Single for movement shots

Scotland has so much to offer in terms of venues, also helps when the weather plays nice

• Setting 7D for wedding

• Here's a wedding I just finished editing.

Shot 90% with GX85 with various lenses, and the remaining shots/angles were 4 GH4s for the ceremony and various other shots.

• How To Shoot A Wedding Ceremony

• Fujifilm X-T2 for weddings

• @davjd You may be referring to Ray Roman? If not then check out "Wedding Cinematography Essentials with Ray Roman" at Creativelive. I believe if you apply everything in Ray's training then the rest is up to your experience and natural talent.

• Hi, I am considering to attend a wedding videography "masterclass", related on technical and marketing skills. Without saying which, I just wanted to know if any of you ever did such a step and if it was worthed. Thanks for advices

• Filmed with GH4. Came TV Single. 10 cups of coffee and 20 hours on feet. Enjoy!

• 10 Similarities Between Pokemon Go and a Wedding Photography Business

There are supposedly 151 Pokemon but chances are that you’ll never see all 151 on your screen, let alone catch them all. Just as there are plenty of wild Pokemon out there, there are plenty of marrying couples getting married on a weekly basis.

I once saw a Gyarados but as I was a passenger in a car, I was unable to even click on it before it disappeared on the screen. I’ve run out of Pokeballs. I’ve had my internet connection cut out on me. I’ve used 10+ Pokeballs and razz berries to only have a wild Pokemon run away. Trying to catch every single Pokemon is impossible!

At times, you’ll say all the right things to a prospective client and even throw in a free engagement session or a free canvas print to only have them disappear on you. Remember, you can’t catch them all. Remember to enjoy what you do and have fun. Don’t get caught up on the fear of losing out. It’s a multi-billion dollar industry with couples getting married every single day of the week.

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/24/10-similarities-pokemon-go-wedding-photography-business/

• Not about video, but

• Hmmmm, watched the Tang Chi clip, some nice shots but excessive use of slo-mo, and the clip of the bride taking a bite of the dessert was incredibly unflattering.