Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Wedding Videography
  • 299 Replies sorted by
  • @maxr thanks!...really appreciate such positve feedback! I have three paid gigs next year off the back of this one so I must be doing something right!

• It's my first wedding video with GH3, GX7, and Steadicam.

• @Felix_LIN

Cool. Keep posting your next ones also.

• I had my wedding banquet at the Taipei Grand Hotel which is very similar (same company)!

• @Felix_LIN more to come I'm sure =)
    Maybe you're very tall, I don't know, but I'd drop a bit the heigh in steady cam shots, specially with a rectilinear wide angle. All good ;-)

• Shot with Driftwoods's Moon T7 for the Gh2, Voigtlander 17.5mm and Canon FD 50mm:

• How to Find a Good Wedding Videographer

Make Sure you Get Along: Unless you book someone for a very basic ceremony only video, realize that, like your photographer, this person or people are going to be around you for the day. Personality matters. Don’t book someone you don’t like enough to grab a drink with – if you meet with them and you instantly find them annoying, well, you’re not going to want them around for your entire wedding day, are you?

Watch their work. Of course you want to watch a sample first, but make sure it’s what they actually deliver to a bride and groom, not just a 5 minute reel of their best looking shots from 15 different weddings. If you want either of the shorter videos (the trailer or the wedding film) where it’s reasonable, go ahead and watch more than one example so you can see if they’re consistently good.

Sound is Half the Video: Being able to hear everything is crucial, especially the vows! Listen carefully. A good videographer puts a microphone/recorder on the groom to capture the vows – this is to avoid the sounds of crying babies or your uncle with a cough.

How does the video make you feel? We could talk about technique all day but really all these things are tools to evoke emotion. For instance, during vows, we usually use a close up of each, the bride and groom, to make things feel more intimate. All you need to worry about is how the video makes you feel. A really great wedding video can excite you, or make you cry.

http://rnbweddings.com/rnb-weddings-dj-and-videography/wedding-videography/finding-a-good-wedding-videographer/

• It always baffles me how video guys can just turn up on the day having never met the couple and start filming. There are so many companies in our area that do this.

• This is our latest wedding, shot on multiple Panasonic GH3, Panasonic and Nikon lenses:

• I have been doing wedding videos for some years but it was not until I saw Rob Adams course (on CreativeLive) on wedding cinematography that I changed everything about how I make these. I have two GH2's and a T2i, and very inexpensive/basic lenses: a 50 1.8, a Tamron 17-50 2.8, a rokinon 85 1.4, a Tamron 70-200 2.8 and an old Pentax 100. I sometimes use a 35 1.7 ultron on the GH2 that I use for my film photography hobby.

Anyhow. My lenses are not the best, and recently have changed a GH2 to a GH3 for better low light. Hopefully someday I'll get money to get better lenses. I shoot mostly with my girlfriend, and I've learned that the biggest thing is planning, planning, and more planning. Being ready for surprises is ok, but planning or knowing what's going to happen, what do we want to capture to make sequences, etc…. that's everything.

One of our latest completed films:

• Hi! My friends wedding is in May and I would like to get preapred gear wise, for now. I don't mind spending money as i kow that i will be carrying on with this and see it as an invetment.

I would like to know your suggestion regarding lens set (what lens do you really use at wedding). I'm using GH3 & GH2

At the moment I've got:

• Lumix 20mm 1.7 -use it on glidecam (love low light performance, hate slow AF)
    • Just bought Olympus 45mm 1.8 after seeing so many good reviews around. Planing to run and gun wit this one on monopod a lot.
    • Lumix 14-140 and 45-200 4.0 - used when on tripod. I would like to replace those two any recomendation?

I believe in gering up acording to level of indyvidual skill therfor this 3 types is what i see as good and sufficent collection to work with however I'm cant really tell as i have nowever done it before ;). Also do you use any fish eye lens?

Thanks!

• The vast majority of wedding videographers would never use a fisheye, is too odd ball, and isn't too flattering either.

• whats peoples thoughts on using a shoulder rig over a monopod for weddings? I am looking at the zacuto enforcer as a shoulder rig or the manfrotto mvm500a monopod to give me quick and steady shots throughout the day. I will still be using a tripod for speeches and vows but wondered what peolples thoughts are on the useability and pros and cons over a chest stabilizer over a monopod?

• I think Zacuto enforcer is not good idea. If you so like to try format of such rigs just check topics, Chinese make simple ones for below $70. You can PM @Rambo, as I remember he uses small rigs for advanced work.

My experience with rigs is that you need adjustable good handles and balanced rig, so your hands won't sore after short period of time.

About monopods - http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/7003/monopods-with-legs/p1

• @pedrinho "Lumix 14-140 and 45-200 4.0 - used when on tripod. I would like to replace those two any recomendation?" Lumix 32-100mm

• OBgene. I believe you meant Panasinic 35-100 2.8 I'm actually thinking to get one for wedding porpoise. And hopefully second one soon.