Personal View site logo
Magix Vegas Pro 18, 17, 16 and formar Sony Vegas 13 topic
  • 262 Replies sorted by
  • I was shocked to find out they did not improve rendering time in Pro 14. The 4K MP4 rendering time is so bad comparing to Premiere or Final Cut.

• @sammy, yes, Vegas Pro certainly has fallen behind some of its competitors as far as GPU acceleration and smooth playback go. That's one of the trade-offs for its ease of use.

You might try using proxies in Vegas Pro. Vegas Pro 13 and 14 will generate them on demand and use them automatically. They are 720p MPEG-2. They help a lot if you are doing multicam editing or dealing with very high resolution videos.

Also, try reducing the preview resolution to half or quarter. Reducing the preview quality doesn't really do much if you're not using proxies. You can also bypass FX when you don't need them.

• As much as I have been a fan of Vegas Pro over the years, But it gets to a point where they got to make changes and fast.. Pro res 4k really very hard to deal with on timeline even with the 16core system I have now (7-10 fps preview even in medium quality).If I drop the same file in resolve 12 I get smooth playback , no skipped frames etc..

• If you know Russian this video really delivers.

• @sammy

You can try other options, depends on editor, can be DirectSound.

• Im having audio trouble also not just delay in playback..I think its all related to the audio issue..im using a ur44 audio interface in my studio, and sound dont work at all when i assign vegas thru interface ..thru the windows audio , the audio plays for couple seconds and cuts off ..

• Apparently it is reported that Plural Eyes needs to be updated to work with VP14.

Part of the issue is in the structure of the plugin programming. It requires the naming to strip "Sony" out of the handshake between application and plug, Even if this is not seen by the user. So unfortunately there will be a lot of plugins that need to be updated to work with VP14. Some plugins do work (Magic Bullet Looks has been reported to work).

• One thing I want to ask is if Vegas Pro 14 has audio based sync for clips/audio ala PluralEyes (that does not work with V14)?

I'd be very curious to know the answer to this as well...

• @DrDave '4K Smart Upscaling' is in the effects plugin list. Drag it onto an HD clip. The default properties are 2x, which I believe is for upconverting 1080P to 2160P. The 4x setting is probably for upscaling 720P (still need to confirm that though). The effect adds a slight amount of grain or noise over the image but it's not very noticeable, it just looks like fine film grain to me. It's worth mentioning, if the native HD file is not very sharp to begin with this effect does not help to sharpen the image, it will however increase the resolution without introducing any perceptible aliasing artifacts.

• @Tron which one does the 4K upconvert, and how long does it take? Tx.

• Just downloaded trial version , one main issue for me is a 2-3 seconds lag between hitting play button and the clip actually starting to play, never had this issue on other vegas programs. anyone had this? the system im testing it on is older 920 i7 with gtx 1060 lots of ram (32 gb)

• One thing I want to ask is if Vegas Pro 14 has audio based sync for clips/audio ala PluralEyes (that does not work with V14)?

• Yes, Indeed the upgrade is the Full license. I need to add DEFISHR and neatvideo 4.2 and I'm good to go for few years. Once they move into a subscription model I'm simply out!

• Full license received here as well. I tested the 4K upconversion feature on some old GH3 footage and it actually seems pretty decent. I'll try it out on some old BMPCC footage next.

• I can confirm that although it says "upgrade" on the promotion site, you are getting full license. No previous version needed.

This is fun :-)

• I can confirm that although it says "upgrade" on the promotion site, you are getting full license. No previous version needed.

• Vegas has more features, but Video Pro X8 looks more modern and has simpler interface.

• You can just get trial of Video Pro X8 (last one).

Samplitude and Xara link with Pro X8, first for sound tracks transfer and last can be used for advanced titles, animated objects, etc.

The object editing system that Magix employs kicks major ass. I reckon that they'll incorporate that into future Vegas versions, as well as some Samplitude features..

If you ask me, I am for ditching Vegas (due to lack of developers who deeply know all internal things) and adding some parts and some good small interface ideas to Vegas Pro X. But it can take 2-3 years.

• I have a license for an older version of Video Pro X, and really like it. The object editing system that Magix employs kicks major ass. I reckon that they'll incorporate that into future Vegas versions, as well as some Samplitude features.. I don't know anything about Vegas however, as I've never used it

• So if I can ask stupid question, which is better now Vegas or Magix?

It depends :-)

• So if I can ask stupid question, which is better now Vegas or Magix?

• Gosh - it's getting dumped on in the comments of that video.

Yep, funny.

Problem is that this guys do not understand that Sony kind of almost killed audio/video software side.
    And it will certainly require time to rebuild all team and move forward.

Most probably they will try to move interface to their Video Pro X standard. Magix is known for quite careful teams management and careful yearly iterations.

Also it must be noted that Magix want to follow Adobe, as they already removed version numbers. Most probably they will try to sell yearly subscriptions since 2017, at least as second option, but may be as only one.

• Gosh - it's getting dumped on in the comments of that video