Personal View site logo
Magix Vegas Pro 18, 17, 16 and formar Sony Vegas 13 topic
  • 262 Replies sorted by
  • One thing that I hate related to this Magix purchase is that Sony products are now considered premium option and Mercalli V4 and some other plugins moved to them, leaving only old V2 for their own software (and it had V4 for last versions).

Btw, if you have any student you know you can get this killer packages:

• Magix finally clarified the upgrade situation. $200/250/350 is the normal upgrade price for Vegas Pro 14 Edit/regular/Suite.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/magix-will-there-be-an-upgrade-offer--103617/?page=4#ca639333

Prices are a bit lower at sharbor.com. For me, coming from Vegas Pro 13 Edit, these prices are too high. Vegas Pro 14 doesn't fix or add anything that I need.

But it appears that they might also be promotional newsletter prices that anyone can take advantage of until Sept. 27. It's not clear to me. It says "Upgrade" at the web page, but it doesn't ask for any serial number. http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/newsletter/special-offer/vegas-pro-14/product-comparison/#productMenu

• @G3550D

Click on thumbnail :-)

• Thanks for posting this but the resolution is way too low to be able to read it.

• Here's the email I received. They claim "upgrade offer" at the bottom of this image but as you suspect, it might work for everyone regardless if you have Vegas Pro 13 or now. If someone tries to buy it, report back.

Upgrade offer.JPG
    759 x 747 - 103K
  • Just my guess, but I think that $199/249/349 pricing is just a newsletter promotion, and not an upgrade offer for users of Vegas Pro 13. For one thing, it seems anyone can take advantage of the offer. And for another, the offer is only good until Sept. 27. One week is way too short of an upgrade offer. And finally, the prices are too high for that to be an upgrade price. Magix should clear all of this up for us very soon.

Edit: I was wrong. Those are the regular upgrade prices.

• They put the special offer in a new link that you see here:

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/newsletter/special-offer/vegas-pro-14/product-comparison/#productMenu

In case they decide to destroy the new link like they did the old one, here's some screen captures for proof of what I saw. I was subscribed to receive updates which is why I was able to find out about the special offer.

Vegas.JPG
    1352 x 955 - 111K
    Vegas 1.JPG
    1874 x 882 - 137K
    Vegas 200.JPG
    1547 x 937 - 121K
    Vegas 250.JPG
    1497 x 928 - 152K
    Vegas 350.JPG
    1533 x 931 - 147K
  • @PauloTeixeira That link does not work and I cannot find those prices from the site.

• The prices isn't bad if you buy it until September 27.

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/newsletter/vegas-pro-14/product-comparison/#productMenu

$199 for Vegas Pro 14 Edit, $249 for Vegas Pro 14 and $349 for Vegas Pro Suite.

• Is DNxHD playback improved?

• That bug is fixed.

• What about that GH4 footage bug that stretched the final frame several times the length of the clip?

• I did some testing of Vegas Pro 14. So far so good. It's very similar to Vegas Pro 13, with many of the same bugs and quirks.

ProRes import is working correctly in Vegas Pro 14. Levels are mapped correctly and 10-bit precision is maintained. That wasn't the case with Vegas Pro 13 and QuickTime.

• @markr041 Thanks for the info, its probably time I get with a better stabilizer anyway. @plasmasmp Here are the release notes, some Red updates are in there - https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-0-build-161-released--103567/

Improved support for clips from RED ONE, EPIC, SCARLET, and WEAPON cameras. Added Post lift, Post gamma, Post gain, and Dragon enhanced blacks controls to the R3D Decode Properties dialog. Fixed an issue that caused certain clips to fail to load on upgraded RED WEAPON cameras with older firmware. Fixed a crash that could occur when loading certain old RED ONE clips. Fixed a color cast that could occur in clips shot with RED Motion Mount on the latest camera firmware.

I also directly compared the Sony XAVC S Long GOP output to HEVC. Quality seems the same to my eyes. XAVC file size was 624MB compared to 220MB for HEVC. The HEVC also took twice as long to render.

• Is r3d correctly supported now?

• @Tron Thanks for the info on output and input formats. It is odd that their own list is incomplete. Yes, Vegas Pro Edit does not have Mercalli version 4 stabilization; you do have to step up (pay more).

• OK, good to know. I just have the basic Vegas Pro 13 Edit, so that may be why I don't have any Mercalli versions on my machine. I'll have to consider stepping up to the full version if it provides Mercalli and the upgrade price isn't outrageous.

• @Tron

Magix products usually upon registering allow to download extra content, must be it.

I don't think that former Sony plugin is better or same as Mercalli.

• @sammy They've been emphasizing stability and performance improvements as a top priority and that does seem to be apparent with the bug fixing they listed. No crashes other than Vegas Stabilize with GPU acceleration turned on. I'm impressed with the preview speed on my older Haswell CPU / newer AMD GPU. My understanding is that Skylake machines may see a decent performance bump due to native HEVC support.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev They list Mercalli V4 as the default stabilization plugin in the marketing list but I only see 'Vegas Stabilize' showing up in the Media FX plugin chain. Not sure if its just rebranded Mercalli plugin or a different option altogether that's not available in the trial version. 'Sony Stabilize' was the previous plugin name and it exhibited the exact same symptoms in VP 13.

• Genarts plugins give vegas hard time, really almost to no use real time..Magic bullet is ok ..Neatvideo tends to slow thing alot in vegas .

• I can confirm there is still a stability problem (crashing) with their image stabilization plugin.

What kind of plugin? Just use Mercalli.

• @Tron how big of an improvement 14 is compared to 13 so far in your eyes,im long time vegas editor (even coloring) , but it just has this random hick up for no reason and wonder if these things have been ironed out now

• I can confirm there is still a stability problem (crashing) with their image stabilization plugin. Certain subclips will have errors and crash while others will work just fine. The specific clips that crash are the same ones that gave me a problem on Vegas 13. I submitted a bug report but have no way of them contacting me back with an update :(

I'll bug them about it in their forum. If that gets resolved I may run out of things to complain about for a little while.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks VK, I'll give it a try at some point.

• @markr041 I can confirm that HEVC file import is supported and playback is actually quite smooth in the timeline with no prerendering. Also, I just noticed that my GPU acceleration has been enabled for many sessions with zero crashes... that's a fucking first for me on this platform. I am running the AMD RX 480.

Sony XAVC also remains as an export option. I have not tried ProRes import yet but have a feeling it works just fine and that their feature list is probably just incomplete (blame marketing?).