Personal View site logo
Magix Vegas Pro 18, 17, 16 and formar Sony Vegas 13 topic
  • 262 Replies sorted by
  • I have not tried that editor, do you recommend?

Well, try it. It has quite old history, but not widely used despite being pretty good for most tasks.

• I also just noticed that they fixed the bug associated with Panasonic file import (last frame duplicates beyond audio track length). That's a relief, as Sony seemed to make a conscious effort to ignore all requests for a fix.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev I have not tried that editor, do you recommend?

• I do not see H265/HEVC as an import format. That is a big fail if true. I also do not see XAVC and its variants as export formats (they are in the current version). That is another fail. Or the list on their web site is incomplete. Can H265 video be imported or not?

Also, I thought there was supposed to be native ProRes support. I do not see that in the list for import or export. What is going on? Indeed, I do not see anything worth upgrading for from Vegas Pro 13

• @Tron

You tried their native Video Pro X8 editor?

• I'm running the free trial while I wait for an upgrade offer which is supposed to be sent out in their newsletter soon (upgrade price TBD). So far basic Vegas Pro 13 projects have imported correctly, without errors. The OpenFX Filmconvert plugin seems to function without issue or the need for reinstallation. I rendered out 45 seconds of 4K material with the default HEVC profile (VBR w/40Mbps target, 80Mbps max) and it is taking my i7-4790 about 10 minutes to render (this is only with Filmconvert CC enabled). CPU utilization is 90-100%.

I have read on their forum that HEVC hardware support is currently limited to Skylake CPUs. No word on whether AMD or Nvidia hardware support will be forthcoming in this version.

4K 24P file sizes are averaging around 295 MB per minute. The frame quality is outstanding but playback is choppy on all of my media players. I will upload a sample to Vimeo to test out the file.

ETA - The HEVC encoding option is Main only (8 bit 4:2:0), so 10 bit 4:2:2 option for export is not yet available. Here is a link to some 4K test footage that seems to play back fine in my browser -

• VP14 just released. http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/

Supported formats (including RED camera):

Import 4K XAVC S, 4K XAVC, XDCAM EX, XDCAM Optical, DV, HDV, AVCHD, NXCAM, MOV, MP4, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, Surround Sound/5.1, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR-, DPX- and WDP image sequences

Export DVD, Blu-ray Disc, AVCHD Disc, (DV-)AVI, MJPEG, MXF, MOV, WMV, MPEG-1/2/4, H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, WAV, MP3, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, OpenEXR- , DPX- and WDP image sequences

• Hope so, is Magix presented at Photokina?

• Vegas FB fanpage says it is 2 days to release Vegas Pro 14. So tomorrow..?

• Acquisition of Sony Creative Software products: MAGIX announces the end of the transition phase and launches vegascreativesoftware.com

MAGIX is presenting its new additions for the first time since the acquisition of a large portion of the Sony Creative Products portfolio.

Three months after the official acquisition, the German software and app manufacturer MAGIX has announced the successful completion of a significant portion of the transition phase. The multiply awarded products VEGAS Pro, Movie Studio, ACID, and Sound Forge can now be found on the buyer’s web portals. At the same time, global sales were moved entirely to MAGIX.

From now on, the renowned VEGAS Pro and Movie Studio video editing product lines will be sold by MAGIX under the umbrella brand “VEGAS Creative Software“. The website of the same name, vegascreativesoftware.com, went live just a few days ago. There the company will introduce the long-awaited new version VEGAS Pro 14 on September 20, 2016.

• Magix has said they'll have a different offer in September for current owners of Vegas Pro 13. No word yet on pricing.

• The new Magix offer $199 instead of $599 for pro 13 (and a free 14 download in late September) ended on 31st of July. On the 1st of August that has changed to 'ends 30th of August'. Seems Magix is going to make Vegas more competitive. http://www.magix.com/index.php?id=22799&L=52&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=US_25_vcs_intro3&utm_content=vegas14

• @Vitaliy...they should keep it discounted and they'd make more money. $600 is simply too much. I look forward to 14, but as well, free editors are getting better and better. If it stays 600, I'd recommend putting those 6 bills in a better computer instead to run resolve. But the beauty of vegas is it needs so few resources.

• @kurth

All management changed. Magix is know for good periodic discounts and good marketing team, contrary to Sony.

• $199 is a fair price....they should have done this 2 years ago .....and it wouldn't have had the most pirated editor status !

• Premiere is one big pile of managers though now, all they care is money.

• Wow that is so tempting. I was planning switching to Premiere but but.. :D

• Special offer

Available only until July 31, 2016

• Get 2 software versions for an unbeatable price
    • Now with $400 off!
    • VEGAS Pro 13
    • Following September 2016 release: VEGAS Pro 14 for free

Read more: http://www.magix.com/us/specials/vegas/exclusive-welcome-offer/

• HEVC/H.265 support, 4K Smart Upscaling, Native ProRes support and much more!

Fantastic!

• Yeah, seems very promising!

• VEGAS Pro is entering into a brand new era!

Since the acquisition of VEGAS Pro and other tools from Sony Creative Software, our entire development team in Madison, Wisconsin is working tirelessly to take video editing with VEGAS Pro to the next level.

This means that at the end of September 2016, you can look forward to the most advanced version of VEGAS Pro yet!

Here's a sneak peek of some of the highlights and new features in the upcoming version:

HEVC/H.265 support, 4K Smart Upscaling, Native ProRes support and much more!

Stay tuned for more updates and get ready for the all new VEGAS Pro 14.

Sincerely,

Klaus Schmidt CEO MAGIX Software GmbH

• I too like Vegas 13. It is a great intuitive NLE. If you are having problems with playback consider using proxies and turning of the rendering of effects for realtime playback. I have an old Core 2 Quad that plays back 1080 stuff direct from my GH2 (a slow format) in real time with effects turned off. throw on some blurs and noise reduction and it slows to a crawl. There is single button selection for effects off and on for playback. For better performance render to DNxHD. Other NLE's will auto process to proxies to get speed. I have been told that a proper set up with Vegas will playback 4k realtime with modern hardware.

• I'm a big fan of Vegas 13, I'm hoping they don't discontinue it. The interface is quick and simple to use and it plays well with the latest Filmconvert plugin. If PR were more intuitive to use, I would work with it instead just to have better integration with AE but that is still not the case.

• Vegas truly wins with audio controls/editing! That was my first NLE, and although I can handle Premiere and/or Resolve - Vegas is still my favourite.

• I´m a very happy Vegas user, too. Great UI (and easily configurable to your taste), light and excelent audio controls. I just use another software if some very specific VFX is needed.