Personal View site logo
Panasonic GM1 official topic
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • @nosh

As far as I understand it - it is physical limitation due to shutter mechanism used. They wanted to make it super small.

• Am thinking of getting this great little beauty. Anyone know if there are any chances of the 1/50 max flash synch speed being addressed in future firmware updates?

• @Manu4Vendetta

ok...I'll bite. Is this Bs or what ?

• I'm stealing my wife's GM1 for a wedding shoot next week, along with the 3 GH2's, a 7D and T2i my crew uses, should be fun to see how it fits in :)

• The quality of the footage this tiny camera produces is spectacular. It's ridiculously sharp and I've done nothing to increase that. It just looks so much better than anything I've been able to get from my A7 or A7r no matter what lenses or codec I use.

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/is-panasonic-gm1-better-camera-than.html

• @deathtoprint thanks for the info, mulling this one over right now.

• I just purchased an NTSC ALL Black kit (w black kit lens) that I found out only Canada and Japan have available. $669 on sale in Canadian dollar, but i am in USA so w USD it was even CHEAPER! Sale is whole month of June w free shipping.

I have no affiliation but finding this NTSC version was a huge PITA so figured was worth sharing, PLUS discounted so also worth sharing.

my USD total was $662.38 shipped ($45.00 shipping to USA from canada insured)

http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=4595&Category=5

• I have the black one...looks good.

• http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=58190

there appears to be a Native American version. So why doesn't B&H or Adorama carry the Black now. I'm thinking maybe I should just try to get the black US body, and buy the lens separate in black.

• I want the 60P and 24P, etc... anyone point me to the best place/deal on this or any sales currently going on for best price?

ebay, any US body. and it is not doing 50p/60p as I remember, only 50i/60i.

• I'm having a hard time discerning if this camera is available w/ the NTSC shooting modes/rates. I can't seem to find one labeled as NTSC, however, i AM able to find them labeled as PAL.

I saw there is a PV member discount which is great but its only PAL version, so not good for me. I want the 60P and 24P, etc... anyone point me to the best place/deal on this or any sales currently going on for best price?

Want to purchase possibly this week.

• It's so strange that my pal GM1 only works with the following combination.

1080 50i shutter speed = or >60 720 50p shutter speed = 100

Smooth video look and panning.

Really bad motion when shooting 24p and 25p. What's wrong?

• I’d say that while they have very slight differences in image quality, these two cameras are on the same level and I wouldn’t choose which camera based on these slight differences, but rather the other features each camera has versus the other. IQ aside, when looking at features they are vastly different machines, both providing a different set of pros and cons.

http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/panasonic-battle-gx7-vs-gm1/

• DSTE Batteries. They are rated for 1000 mAh, actual is maybe 550-580, less than the stock battery. Cheap but "shorties".

• My quick notes on the GM1:

No matter how many times you read it is small, it is actually smaller.

IMHO you want the all black cam with the all black panny 14mm pancake prime. This combo is a serious looker. The 14mm is narrower than the 20 and fits perfectly for a pocket cam, with the 14mm the edge of the lens is even with the base of the cam.

IQ for stills and video and incremental notch above the GH2. DR rolloff is a bit better.

Colors look more organic. On the GH2 the colors sometimes look fake. There is a slight blue shift, but that is better than a green shift. WB is customizable.

Noise is better controlled. There still is noise.

I don't see a jump in sharpness. GH2 with hack is very sharp. Nonetheless, very good vid from this cam.

Battery is small and crappy. You can buy a power adapter. However the battery gave me 1 hour and 55 minutes continuous video recording.

Although the manual lists 64Gb as the max, I had no trouble with my 128gb card.

Screen is very nice, and the fact that it is a touch screen is really very handy. You get tons of soft buttons. Drag and drop whatever you want onto the quick menu.

HDR mode, and the night equivalent, are fast and snappy. The cam fires off a bunch of shots, and combines them in cam. No raw backup, but you can of course shoot raw, then combine in post. No sweep panorama that I can find.

Timed photos--yup.

DxO 9 with prime will wring every drop out of your raw files, if you want to fuss over them. Try the free trial.

The silent shutter is totally fracking silent if you need to switch it on. You can set a button, and the only sound you will hear is the lens focusing, which you won't hear in MF. Completely silent.

I was able to hook it up wirelessly to my Nexus 7 for full cam control, preview and postview. The second gen Nexus 7 has an awesome screen, and this is all very trippy. So for example you can put the cam on a tripod, and take pictures from elsewhere in the room. I had read that this does not work for video, so I tried it out and you can pull focus while the video was rolling. It isn't like having an external monitor, but of course you have remote control which is very cool. In dark areas, the focus may hunt while pulling, which is the basic issue with m4/3 cams and other noncamcorder cams.

While recording video, you can dial the aperture and shutter speed up and down remotely while recording, using the Nexus 7 (and I'm assuming the other apps as well).

Autofocus is fast and accurate. Focus peaking is customizable and actually very useful, even though I don't use it. It works. In fact, the peaking seem to work as well or better with a sharp legacy lens.

Yes, it does show highlight clipping, if desired.

Very minor things: the door to the card and battery are on the bottom of the cam. You could easily damage the tiny door, just like the tiny doors on other cams. If you had an adapter you could maybe get to the card while on a tripod but iffy. The lugs are ugly.

Others: The screen is almost the same size as the GH2 and better quality, even though the cam is tiny. If I had a few extra hundred I think maybe the kit deal is a good idea from Vitaliy's deals. The kit lens is very nice and you could always sell it for more than the price difference. Saving up for the GH4, or would have gone for the kit. It is hard until you see the cam to deal with the size issue--a tiny kit lens on this cam would be a plus. As well as the 14mm pancake. Anything larger than the 20mm and it looks like you have a lens with a phone on the back.

What's not to like: nothing, really.

• Now that we have the firmware, just a baby step to hacking the GM1 for 4K. This would have made a great April fools joke.

• Firmware v1.1 released

• Connection problem with Apple iOS devices via Wi-Fi is fixed.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gm1.html

• @1anentropic get it from deals. mine records longer. 1 week ago I powered it externally and recorded 5h nonstop to a 64GB card.

• Here is a gallery test I did last month with GM1, plus a Lumix 14mm and a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and a Seculine SL3 Loupe:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xtvamp/sets/72157642142701785

RAW pictures processed with Lightroom 5.

• Just checked and I only get HDMI output on play back. Dug though the menus to no avil. Looks like no live view HDMI.

• Clean HDMI on the GM1? Anyone?