Personal View site logo
Panasonic GM1 official topic
  • 237 Replies sorted by
  • To ISO 25,600 (with Zuiko 45mm f1.8) its near to my 5N to 6,400. Great job Panasonic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlmfotografo/13174599253/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlmfotografo/13174749114/

13174599253_e62fdb794c_h.jpg
    1600 x 1201 - 773K
    13174749114_151853787d_h.jpg
    1600 x 1201 - 784K
  • I have had mine for a few months now. I am just an amateur, but like it so much I pick it up first and not the hacked GH2 I have! Video quality is excellent as is the kit lens. The main reason I like it so much is size and peaking. It can be used in tight spots. If you use a Go Pro for its size (not being waterproof) like in the corner of a car the GM1 is a great replacement. It fits tight places but gives much more control.

I have read on other forums where the GM1 peaking is useless...not true. It does not work in all situations, but when it works it is a huge help with focus. I have the peaking set on orange as not too many things I shoot are orange it shows up fairly well. One main problem with my old GH2 is the focus.

Largest problem I have had is accidentally touching the cursor/dial on the back and changing a setting by accident.

It is great to use in public no one suspects your are filming.

• And here is the GM1 with the VF-4 Loupe from Carry Speed. I was quite surprised that it fit the tiny GM1. All of the buttons except for the flash release are accessible too but the lack of a real hand grips means you kind of have to hold it by the loupe itself :)

You can see in the second photo that in order to get the loupe to sit flush on the LCD the baseplate needs to be set all the way forward. This works with the 12-35mm kit lens since it is so tiny and has no overhang, but virtually any other lens (including the 20mm pancake) will protrude below the body and block the plate. I have the GM1 tripod riser coming soon which might help here.

photo 4.JPG
    1200 x 755 - 189K
    photo 1.JPG
    1200 x 900 - 199K
  • @grisnjam

Damn that's tiny - I'm thinking of getting one(for my wife of course :-) ) and pairing it with the 14-42 pancake.

• I'm loving my wife's GM1. The image is fantastic, and it's a pretty fun camera to use. the 12-35mm compact zoom is pretty sharp as well. Though, I'm looking forward to putting the 14mm f2.5 on there.

• Gm1 the best!

• @TATZU

I sold my GH2 a while ago but here is the GH3, GX7 and GM1:

1800082_10203640063665494_1023712813_o.jpg
    1280 x 617 - 259K
  • Very impressed by the low noise and video quality of the GM1!

However new cameras are usually restricted by the 29 min video recording limit, so I always keep an eye on the hack list: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/ptool/cameras-status-faq ...I see GM1 hasn't made it on there yet.

I understand the 29 min limit is to avoid an EU tax on camcorders, so I was wondering are GM1s for other markets free of this restriction? eg Hong Kong, USA ?

• @chrisappleseed I just downloaded the original ProRes file and I can't see a hint of noise in the opening ISO 3200 shot! I can't believe there wasn't any noise reduction at all!

From some other videos I've seen online, I was worried about the low bitrate for high motion shots, but the waterfall in your video didn't macroblock as much as some other videos I've seen. I only wish that the sensor had better DR, but I might still get it as a B-cam since it's so tiny and versatile.

• Can i get a still photo comparison between this and the gh2? and this is the Dynamic Range "Really" Better on the GM1? how many stops? Because i love the resolution of my gh2 but the Dynamic Range Sucks TBH.

• @kin689 Thanks for your viewing! For the shoot, a variable ND2-400 filter was used. Grading is done in Premiere Pro for a more cinematic coloring look. No noise reduction in camera or in post. And I love the better high ISO performance and dynamic range the GM1 provides, it surely has better video DR than GH2 (GM1 uses the same new sensor seen on GX7, newer sensors definitely have improved DR). In fact, the GM1 have more details in the blacks and a slightly more in the highlights. So far I have used the GM1 to shoot in several low-light situations, and I would say the highest acceptable ISO on it is 2000. Pushing all way up to 3200 is not an issue at all without reducing noise in post. I will post more films shot with the GM1, stay tuned!

• @chrisappleseed That's probably one of the best looking GM1 videos I have seen. I knew the ISO performance of the GM1 is good, but I didn't realize how good it was until you mentioned the first shot was at 3200!

If you don't mind, I have a few questions. What type of ND did you use if any? Was there any grading? How does the GM1's DR compare to the GH2? For me, the highest acceptable ISO on the GH2 is 640, what would you say is the highest acceptable ISO for the GM1?

Again, great looking video and please share more if you can, thanks!

• Filmed on the Panasonic GM1. 1080/24p mode. Handheld. Two lens - Lumix 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 & Olympus 45mm f/1.8

I have GH1, GH2 and G6. Comparing with GH2 (hacked) & G6, the GM1 seems to have more striking colour and picks up subtle shades in more detail than the G6 & GH2 (hacked). In fact the video performance of GM1 is on par with the GH3. Or even better in low light. *The cave shot at the beginning of the video was shot at ISO 3200. As you can see the camera holds up very well, noise - even at ISO 3200 is almost completely absent.

Stay tuned for my next GM1 film that will be focused in low light shots.

• I have been shooting with the GM1 extensively for the past 2 months and I have finally gathered some of my impressions and pictures and wrote something like a personal review about the camera and, specially, my way of using it and integrating it in my usual workflow. To summarize it, I can say that this tiny camera is a beast and it delivers a punch high above its weight, that's for sure. I'm amazed at how close I can get with it plus the small kit zoom lens to my usual combo of GH3 plus the f2.8 zoom.

@jonpais I agree with you completely, I shoot with both cameras as well, and they make a perfect couple!

You can read my review and see plenty of images in my blog: http://gonzalobroto.blogspot.com/2014/02/gm1-me-review-of-how-we-met-each-other.html

GM1 + Lumix G Vario 12-32.jpg
    601 x 800 - 412K
  • re: Luminous Landscape review: now I understand why the lack of an EVF was such a dealbreaker for Michael Reichmann. Working in bright light, judging exposure is next to impossible, which is why I'd never recommend the GM1 as a primary camera. Still, I always carry both the GM1 and the GH3, and use the former 90% of the time. And the LCD on the GM1 is much clearer than its big brother's.

• Sorry if this has been answered before, but after I white balance and begin shooting, the color I see on the LCD doesn't match at all what I saw when I was making WB adjustments. I have monitor set at live view. However, files look fine when I import them for editing...

• The GM1 is capable of taking really high quality images. The sensor is as good as it gets in MFT, and the supplied kit lens is a notch above just about any zoom kit lens that I recall.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gm1.shtml

• factory defaults did the trick! Back to happy again!

• Who has an Idea which settings might have effect on THAT? GM1 + 20mm f1.7 Pana I tried sharpness... But it always looks like that. also attached a grab from GH2, which is OK from my point of view. Both extracted from 1080p24

2014-02-12 22_31_38.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 76K
    2014-02-12 21_27_50.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 118K