Personal View site logo
Feature film trailer. GH1/anamorphic.
  • Hi all! Been working on our first feature for a couple of years now. It's now completed and the film's official trailer has just debuted.

Shot in 2010 with a GH1 and Lomo anamorphic primes.

Visit http://hillsgreen.com for more info. Thanks for looking!

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • Happy New Year! Big thanks to everyone who has checked out the film on iTunes so far!

Today we released a few little clips from the film, enjoy:

Also, If you're interested in the film, but iTunes is not your thing, we should be releasing the film on Vimeo on demand this year as well.

Comments and questions welcome. Thanks again!

• @RyanCGlover Just bought it, looking forward to watching it tomorrow.

• Thanks @matt_gh2!

@tylernight I miss my GH1 sometimes too, I always thought it looked great outdoors.

• I totally miss my GH1 now :( I sold it to get the gh2 and then sold the gh2 to get the 3 and I really think the gh1 had the best colour pallet for sure

• @ryancglover Congratulations! Trailer looks good. I will definitely watch on iTunes.

• Hey everyone. Just wanted to let any interested people know that the film is now up on iTunes! Just click the iTunes button on the film's website: http://hillsgreen.com

You can also check out this interview we did over at NoFilmSchool for a little info on the distribution of the film. http://nofilmschool.com/2013/11/hills-green-filmmakers-discuss-realistic-distribution/

Thanks to everyone who has followed along and participated in this thread!

HILLS GREEN iTunes PostCard.jpg
    960 x 498 - 356K
  • Hi @ryancglover. Its cool.

0:28 to me just doesn't sound like a phone call, if you know what i'm saying. I think the effect is not clear enough - too much low end and needs to have that low bit-rate feel more? I think at 1:10 what's happening is the dialogue track is a bit low in the mix and needs more compression.

The audio recording seems good quality, I just feel the mix is not 'punchy' enough. Sorry to offer negative feedback, I guess its something that just popped out at me.

Over all i really like the film's look and feel - of course you have achieved a massive great thing!

• Excellent images as always Ryan. Your vimeo page and @Voldemort's site got me into the GH13 a few years back after a disappointing experience with the 7D. Congrats (and thanks!). Keep us up-to-date on the project.

• @leftedit 0:28 is a phone call. 1:10 is not and was recorded with a 416 boom on location. I guess the dialogue is just a little flatter than your tastes. We haven't had a chance to mix the soundtrack in a fancy studio yet, just in stereo in a bedroom studio so far. Hopefully we'll get a chance to remix in 5.1 someday, but we're all really happy with how it sounds now. Thanks for taking the time to think about our trailer, we really appreciate it.

• @ryancglover How about the part 0:28 ? Is that a phone? The dial at 1:10 also seems a bit 'thin'. Im not being nasty, I just felt the dialogue overall was a bit lacking in low end. Was it recorded on boom on location or was it dubbed in post? Perhaps the mix just went on overkill and cut too much bass out? Im listening on DT 250 headphones so Im sure its accurate. None the less, please dont see this as trying to call you out, it was a technical observation. Overall I really admire your film work and achievement which is extremely amazing.

• Very nice work. Still shows how groundbreaking the GH-1 was.

• @leftedit thanks for watching. As far as the audio goes, a lot of the dialogue in the trailer is spoken through cell phones, are those the parts you're wondering about?

@svart Yep, those are them, pretty handy.

• In your BTS pictures, you have some sort of lights in this picture:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p6yhe4xlxZY/TIxB98ZoZyI/AAAAAAAAAtI/_7JNBlE1V_I/s720/Lite+Pads.jpg

What are those?

EDIT: Ah I found it. http://www.rosco.com/litepad/litepadHO.cfm

• Ryan. Well done. What a project. What an achievement. I like your framing and use of the camera and lens. I have questions about the sound (location/dialogue track). Why does it sound so thin, and noisy in parts? Was that intentional at all or just down to recording devices used or post processing?

Regards

• Thanks @Jean71. We definitely tried to use nature as character in the film, both visually and with the sound design.

• I like it, i'm not very much into romance, but this one intrigue me. Great retró look with Lomo Anamorphic, and the way like the two lovers are related to the environment that surround them (is that why the nature's sounds are loud?) give to the aestetic a some emotional-narrative power. If it was on theatre, i could probably go, it reminds me some good movies i liked.

Best luck man!

• Hey @AlbertZ thanks for having a look at the article. Unfortunately, we didn't have the resources/crew to shoot BTS footage, but you can see BTS photos here: http://hillsgreen.blogspot.ca/2010_09_01_archive.html

Thanks again.

• @ryancglover Great work with the "old" GH1..in your hands even at 40Mbit it rocks, indeed ;) Very interesting the interview too, why don't you share some making-of footage when you will be ready? :)

• We just did an interview about how we approached making the film, maybe you guys will find it interesting: http://nofilmschool.com/2013/04/hills-green-feature-film/

• @jazzroy thanks!

Thanks @Ian_T! Glad people are digging the look and music.

• I was wondering how this movie turned out. Good to see you guys finally finished up. The trailer looks good. I like the look (grade) for this trailer and the music as well.

• @ryancglover Maybe it's the music playing a big role on this, but for me that scene looked so different from the others! Anyway, it's a matter of opinions, I wish you the best at the premiere!

• Thanks for watching @jazzroy. The cold open scene was important to us, it's sort of a litmus test and it's pretty representative of our approach to the whole film. But I appreciate the feedback for sure.

Thanks again to all who've had a look!

• Looks great, could go in the cinemas without noticing difference, but.. I really didn't like the opening scene. In my opinion the worst of the trailer, bad camera position (seems like the POV of someone hiding close to the guy), nature sound too loud, acting not natural. I would really cut it and start from the logo, the trailer would look pro and intriguing from begining to end.

• Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Really appreciated.

The length of the trailer came about organically, so I'm confortable with it. I can see where it could be more efficient maybe, I like the pacing we struck though.

The film will play in Toronto as part of the ReelHeART International Film festival in June. We are definitely hoping to get an LA screening too. The plan is to release the film online this fall sometime.

The grade was kept very simple and natural, which is our preferred look. A little on the low-con side, it's true.

Thanks again for the feedback and support.