Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Ok i made a mistake; The pitcures are for 16mm and not for Super 16mm! here are the real pics: So sorry guys, hope nobody throw his money for the Fujinon ;(

Cosmicar TV lens Silver 12,5mm f1.4

Cosmicar TV lens Black 12,5mm f1.9 image

Fujinon 9mm f1.3 image

cosmicarSilver12,5mmf1.4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
    CosmicarBlack12,5mm-f1.9.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
    fujinon9mmf1.3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 110K
  • powerup-sync workaround would still be useful if it works on the Pocket

These babies have LANC, so, I would hope that a LANC start / packet timing analyzer (like the LANC Shepherd) would be as effective - or better - than power-sync. That said, I can find no evidence that anyone has tried on any Blackmagic camera.

• That said, I can find no evidence that anyone has tried on any Blackmagic camera.

Hey @David_Cole, 's been a while. That's surprising.

@johnbrawley, David, myself and a couple of others have been shooting our DIY'ed m43 stereoscopic solutions for a while now. I'm a programmer and I've actually written my own software to wrangle the 3D footage. If BlackMagic is interested (PM me) I'm sure any of us would be up for testing and giving feedback on 3D use of their cameras. A simple firmware tweak may be all that's required to get something pretty good up and running, even without full-blown Genlock.

• There will be one problem w/ using Panasonic and Olympus MFT lenses on the Pocket. Practically all of them (all zooms, all lenses below 45mm) have major barrel distortions that only get corrected in software. I.e. camera firmware or raw converters photoshop the optical flaws of the lens away. This works well enough on multi-megapixel images. But with the sensor of the Pocket being only 1080p, there will be no spare pixels for keeping these software corrections invisible. The image has to degrade/suffer partial pixellation.

And: Can the camera firmware apply these lens corrections at all, on the fly, when recording ProRes? Would the camera controller chip even have the required horsepower for this?

With lenses like Panasonic 14mm/2.5, the 20mm/1.7, the 14-40mm and the 14-140mm, distortions of the unprocessed images are very pronounced, or in plain English: really ugly. They're bad enough to render these lenses unusable on the Pocket unless the camera sensor actually has more native pixels than 1920x1080 for correction in firmware or in post.

• @cantsin: Yes, this is a serious concern, but bear in mind that the BMPCC's smaller sensor means that it is cropping heavily into the center of the image circle from any of these lenses, and thereby cropping out the worst of the distortion. Certainly, some distortion will remain even in the center portion of the image that the sensor is recording, but it might only be objectionable on the most demanding architectural shots... although that remains to be seen.

• @KeithLommel: I've simulated the result you would get with 14mm/2.5 (the lens which BlackMagic used to advertise the camera) by taking a raw 16:9 photograph with the lens on a GH2, switching off all geometry corrections in the raw converter and cropping into the medium 65.6% of the image to obtain the same field of view as with the BM Pocket camera. It's quite heavily distorted for a normal focal length on the BM Pocket, and would probably be even better visible if I had shot people.

This is how the 14mm/2.5 would look on the BM Pocket without geometry correction: image

This is is how it should look if there was some clean way of applying the geometry corrections: image

03-pocket_bmc_sensor_image-uncorrected.jpg
    640 x 360 - 54K
    04-pocket_bmc_sensor_image-corrected.jpg
    640 x 360 - 72K
    04-pocket_bmc_sensor_image-corrected.jpg
    640 x 360 - 65K
  • Here's an animated GIF version of the uncorrected vs corrected to see the difference more clearly (you probably have to click it to see the animation).

Not exactly terrible, but working off 2.5k would be nicer of course. Also note that even if they did it in-camera on the Pocket for ProRes, it would only buy you convenience but no more resolution, as there aren't more pixels to work with in the first place.

animated.gif
    640 x 360 - 333K
  • @gl: For serious work with the Pocket, I think we'll have to use manual lenses like Voigtlanders, and adapted Super 16mm glass. The electronic MFT lens option smells more like a marketing gimmick.

• Well, count me among those that don't really care about moderate distortion. For 90% of shots, it won't matter to me. For the other 10%, I'll correct them in post. Having a reasonably sharp lens that flares nicely and has a smooth focus throw and bokeh, is much more important to me.

• I believe the BM Pocket Cam will be highly successful and will cause lens makers to look to provide wide angle lenses for this camera. We've seen already how much the Niche Market Producers have responded with new products for m4/3. It seems to me that as soon as we start voicing our needs companies will start to address that need just based on the success of products they've already made for the m4/3 mount. I predict we won't be waiting too long for products to come along for the wide end on the BM Pocket Cam.

• @Aria +1 I would be very surprised if manufacturers aren't already looking at the huge buzz around the idea of a popular pocketable cinema camera... And thinking how can we get a slice of that pie? SLR magic have on a number of occasions asked the m43 user base what lenses they would like for the system, and we now have the 12mm 1.6 as a result (thanks). It is a shame about the distortion of the lenses listed, but maybe correction will come later, and maybe (just maybe) some of the companies that rely of correction will think about opting for less reliance on correction in the future? (We can hope..) More choice for us, I don't see as a bad thing : )

• pardon my poor google abilities, but is it possible to see some material shot with those kowa lenses? reviews?

• My understanding is that the Kowa lenses do not fit c-mount adapters for Micro Four Thirds, at least not unless one modifies their mount.

• @Ralph_B Are those Kowa lenses any good? If only these were sold by stores. Prices seem all right.

If only one could use Nikon 1 lenses -- I mean, they have a 10mm, 6.7-13mm, 11-27.5mm.

• @futur2, I found this.

• @Aria Yeah, I'll bet SLR Magic is already working on a nice set of cheap, sharp lenses with full coverage... do you hear us Andrew?!! :)

• @Tron, good user-name :).

@Ralph_B, those lenses are apparently designed for IR/near-IR capture. Does that have any impact on visible-light quality, eg. aberration & flaring?

• Manufacturers like Samyang, SLR Magic and Voightlander would only have to make Perhaps a 5mm, 7mm and 9mm, I guess since they already have Rectilinear lenses from 12mm and 14mm, I don't really know what the best wide end sizes should be but you get the idea. Manufacturers would only need to go a bit wider than their widest lenses in their sets.

• @cantsin

I believe you're right. Scratch the Kowa's.

• Having a flashback to the several years spent on a super16 crew filming Peak Practice ;p

• @_gl Thanks!

I just sent an e-mail to SLR Magic to see if they had plans to release any fast, wides with S16 coverage for the BMPCC. I would really love to have a 6mm and 8mm with the same character as their 12mm F1.6.

• Any footage somewhere?

• @Tungee78

Check any BMCC footage.